cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vehicle batteries

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not camper specific, but the very nature of camper owners is a lot more hands-on than your typical Class A owner.....so I will pose the question here looking for expertise.

I have always purchased Sears Die Hard batteries. However, they no longer pro-rate their warranties. So what was previously a “100 month” battery has failed at 64 months. In the past I could get a 36% credit, but they no longer do that. Nor as I understand, do many other battery retailers. Since the nearest Sears Automotive is nowhere near me, I am now compelled to shop competitively for different options.

So… I know who rocks RV batteries (Trojan, in my opinion), but I don't know who is best in regular automotive batteries.

Who is a good manufacturer for quality automotive batteries these days?

Thanks,
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,
20 REPLIES 20

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:

I've never had a starting battery go beyond 5-6 years but then again it's best to change them before they leave you stranded.

We had 1997 Varta battery working 13 years on our Mercedes. Have seen reports about 17 years as well.
Kirkland 100-months battery died after 50 months, so I got some money back.
The current 96-month Bosch battery is about 5 years old and I use it in camper as we speak.
Amazing I can have lights, fridge, water pump + fan for whole night and the 100 amp-hr battery still has good voltage in the morning.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I figure savings is in going to the closest place. The BiMart rv/marine batteries are going on 8 years wired in parallel but, that's for the rv with a xantrax charger. Brag Brag Brag...

I've never had a starting battery go beyond 5-6 years but then again it's best to change them before they leave you stranded. I think it cheapest to change ea. 5 yrs or so.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
c.traveler2 wrote:
time2roll, How long has the Odyssey lasted for you.
I wanted the Odyssey but the truck sits in storage too much for the price. I cheaped out and bought another Costco group 65 this Summer. Odyssey does have a higher CCA and all the advantages of AGM.
If it was a daily driver I would have spent the money.

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
I find it strange that a former Catalog store can't do just as well selling on the internet with the likes of Amazon et. el.
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
I buy my batteries through Costco, my last set (2) were Interstate brand installed in 2015 under the hood so far so good.

time2roll, How long has the Odyssey lasted for you.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eric&Lisa wrote:
Who is a good manufacturer for quality automotive batteries these days?

Thanks,
-Eric
What group size?

For a superior battery I recommend Odyssey 65-PC1750T Automotive and LTV Battery

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
GeoBoy wrote:
It appears that the Full River batteries are made in China!

Yep .... but they know what they are doing.

As I understand it, they have quite a following in the boating community, all over the world. They carry a 7 year warranty.

I have a couple in our RV. I bought them instead of Lifeline for a technical reason ... but they were only a few $$ less than Lifeline batteries would have been at the equivalent capacity and physical size.

Several other forum members use them in their RVs as deep cycle AGM coach batteries, but they also offer models more suitable for under the hood use.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
Eric&Lisa wrote:

I have always purchased Sears Die Hard batteries. However, they no longer pro-rate their warranties. So what was previously a “100 month” battery has failed at 64 months. In the past I could get a 36% credit, but they no longer do that.
-Eric

Funny story - many years ago I was applying for a manufacturing engineering job at a (automotive) battery manufacturer. The job entailed upgrading the automated equipment that stamped the internal plates. They told me that the closer they can hold the thickness tolerance of the plates, the more accurately they can control the life of the battery. They went on to say that their current methods allow them (on average) plus or minus 3-4 months. I was shocked!! Not believing the stated facts I asked the guy "why is it every time I buy a 60 month DieHard battery it never lasts 60 months"? He laughed and told me that the Sears sales model is just that! Buy a 60 month battery , get one that is designed to last 48, buy and 48 month battery, get one designed to last 36 months. He went on to tell me that by offering pro-rated warranty on a battery specifically designed to fail early, Sears could almost guarantee that you would come back to get your $5, $10, $15 pro-rated few bucks in exchange for buying a brand new DieHard battery AGAIN. Battery customer for LIFE 🙂

WoW I was shocked (being a young engineer) and asked how could they? He just laughed - and he told me (at that time, again many years ago) that the brand that didn't play that game was Interstate. (I don't know if that still holds true for Interstate or anyone else) Sears was the King at playing that game with pro-rated warranties.

Many online blogs rate Costco Kirkland batteries as some of the best. I hear the Walmart brand is pretty well thought of also.

Ditch the Sears - if for no other reason than they were duping you for years.

My true story - my opinions and my current preferences - YMMV
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
While there are many different "brands" of batteries (Sears, Kirkland, Napa, Motorcraft, Interstate, etc...) these are just rebadged batteries made by just three manufacturers in the US (who knows what's coming from China). Here is an unverified source that explains who is making who's batteries...

http://www.answers.com/Q/Who_makes_car_batteries_in_US

The majority of car batteries are created by 3 manufacturers - Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls Industries. Delphi makes some EverStart models sold in Walmart and ACDelco. Johnson Control Industries makes Duralast seen in Autozone stores, Diehard - sold in Sears, Kirkland - the Costco brand, Motorcraft - which Ford sells, some of the EverStarts, and Interstate. Exide makes Exide batteries, Champion, Napa and even a % of the EverStart batteries.

I have a pair of Optima's in my truck only because the previous owner put them there. They are good batteries for sure but I'm not married to them. Their cost being what it is and need two would mean I will probably end up with a pair of Kirkland batteries next time around. Costco seems to still have a good return program with their batteries, the warranties may not be as long as they used to be or as generous as they once were but if the battery does prematurely fail they generally take care of you pretty well. And let's be honest, the fact that any battery can last under the hood of a car for more than 36months in the thermal cycles it has to endure is a testament to good engineering.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Eric&Lisa wrote:
So… I know who rocks RV batteries (Trojan, in my opinion), but I don't know who is best in regular automotive batteries.

Well ... if your truck camper is your "baby", here are two among the best of the best batteries available for it's engine battery. You may not find them at the local automotive store and have to go to a battery supplier instead:

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/redtop-starting-battery

http://www.fullriverbattery.com/series/batteries/full-force

It appears that the Full River batteries are made in China!
As far as Sears, their financial situation is not good, they are closing stores and may not be around to back their warranties.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eric&Lisa wrote:

Well ... if your truck camper is your "baby", here are two among the best of the best batteries available for it's engine battery. You may not find them at the local automotive store and have to go to a battery supplier instead:

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/redtop-starting-battery

http://www.fullriverbattery.com/series/batteries/full-force
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trackrig wrote:
So, what does Sears propose to do with a 100 month battery that died at 64 months?

Yeah, they are sneaky little buggers. A few years ago they quietly removed the "100-month" from their Die Hard Gold battery labels. They didn't really tell anyone about it. Kept the same labels, same look, branding, etc. So I thought they still had the warranty. Nope, 36 month full replacement. If it dies at 37 months, too bad.

Oh, and for even more excitement.... As a "loyal" Sears customer, they will give me 20% off if I bring in a Die Hard battery on exchange. It's not the 36% I would have gotten on the 100-month warranty, but it is something, right? Yeah, until they tell you the 20% is off the LIST price, not the price on the Internet. If I buy on the Internet for in-store pickup, then it is not eligible for the 20% loyalty discount....and the Internet price is within $10 of the discount. In short, no real loyalty discount but they like to tell me that.

I don't like going from a happy customer to an unhappy customer. But when companies play games like this it is rather insulting to my (limited) intelligence. Tell me they will take care of me as a loyal customer, but in reality it is pretty much the same deal as if I purchased via the Internet. Yeah, that adds insult to injury, it doesn't value me as a customer, and now I am looking for a different vendor.

Thanks,
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Kirkland stop giving 100 months warranties as well.
Would you think batteries technology goes on reverse?
Last battery with 96 months warranty was Bosch at PeepBoys. That was 2 years ago, so I wonder if it still exist.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Get the Kirkland one that fits your space. That's my opinion.
Yep mine was near the end and still received a partial refund toward a new battery. The actual battery is Interstate probably made by Johnson Controls.