cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Variable speed water pump

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering replacing the Shurflo water pump in our camper with something quieter and less chatter. The pulsating lights is sort of irritating as well. I have considered adding an accumulator tank but would prefer to simply swap out the pump if that would fix the issue.

Has anyone tried a variable speed pump? Specifically I am looking at a Remco pump but if there are other manufacturers I am interested in hearing about those as well.

Remco variable speed pump
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.
15 REPLIES 15

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
work2much wrote:
The hammering noise, and yes I have put pool noodle on every bit of pex tubing I can find..
Many of us have stopped the hammering by replacing the output -side pex with flexible line.

This is the solution to the noise!!!

For Truck Campers most will not have room for accumulators, I know I do not.

I still think wiring issues are present if lights are dimming. Check to make sure the lights and pump are not on the same circuit and fed by the same wire.

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
Adding an accumulator made a big difference in our system.
Installation took less than an hour.
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
For those who don't have water accumulators in the system - replenish air bubble in water heater helps a lot.
Usually I hook up dry hose, open the water flow and run hot water inside, what push some air into WH tank.
That gives me about 5 seconds of water flow with pump off, what is good for washing hands after midnight pee.
The variable speed pumps are the only ones used in household well systems all around the World, but they did not catch in RV.
I think the price and voltage spikes make it too difficult.
From all RV pumps I had the quietest was belt-driven one in 1965 Airstream.
I restored the TT about 6 years ago and was surprised the pump model was still in production and sold in marine places for $350.
I was still able to buy rebuild kit and 45 years old pump work very well.
Now I put new valves seal 2 years ago into my $39/18 yo pump and it works well, so I have no motivation to upgrade it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
The hammering noise, and yes I have put pool noodle on every bit of pex tubing I can find..
Many of us have stopped the hammering by replacing the output -side pex with flexible line.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
JoeChiOhki wrote:

It looks like they discontinued the electronic multi speed ones in favor of the better Revolution model which is the unit with the bypass diaphram I mentioned. The 4028 is the model I have currently in my kit and will soon be getting moved to the Amerigo.

Thanks Joe, I will check it out.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
work2much wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. It is definitely not a weak battery. The battery could run 100 of these pumps. Maybe the stock led lights are just sensitive.

The wiring to the pump is stock and I have had no problems with the 12v electronics in the camper. I think it's just that harsh switching on and off of the pump.

I wasn't aware that Shurflo had made a variable speed pumps. It looks like they are discontinued.

Anyways the lights are the least of the issue. The hammering noise, and yes I have put pool noodle on every bit of pex tubing I can find.

I have also been pointed to aqua pro pumps from a guy that likes his a a lot. It's a lot cheaper maybe a place to start.

It looks like they discontinued the electronic multi speed ones in favor of the better Revolution model which is the unit with the bypass diaphram I mentioned. The 4028 is the model I have currently in my kit and will soon be getting moved to the Amerigo.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. It is definitely not a weak battery. The battery could run 100 of these pumps. Maybe the stock led lights are just sensitive.

The wiring to the pump is stock and I have had no problems with the 12v electronics in the camper. I think it's just that harsh switching on and off of the pump.

I wasn't aware that Shurflo had made a variable speed pumps. It looks like they are discontinued.

Anyways the lights are the least of the issue. The hammering noise, and yes I have put pool noodle on every bit of pex tubing I can find.

I have also been pointed to aqua pro pumps from a guy that likes his a a lot. It's a lot cheaper maybe a place to start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Eric&Lisa wrote:
When the pump runs, it runs until the accumulator tank is full. If I just need a splash of water, the pump doesn't turn on. Nor does it try to run at a slow speed when there is low demand.
Sorta like running on batteries vs generator.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
ljr wrote:
Iโ€™ve had both a variable speed pump and an accumulator tank. Prefer the tank.

+1 on the accumulator tank.

When the pump runs, it runs until the accumulator tank is full. If I just need a splash of water, the pump doesn't turn on. Nor does it try to run at a slow speed when there is low demand.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
what I hate is the pressure rise and fall causes temp changes in the shower.
When low the shower runs cold, when pressure goes up the shower runs hot, cold and hot and cold and hot.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ve had both a variable speed pump and an accumulator tank. Prefer the tank.
Larry

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I don't intend to be a forum faux pas but

If you have dimming lights then you have wiring issues, or battery problems.
If this is your reason then it might be cheaper to fix the needed-to-be fixed issues with the wiring instead.

Surflo pumps have a pressure screw on the end, the bullet shaped plastic end, right in the center where you can adjust the pressure. (I lower mine to help conserve water). A phillips head driver will easily adjust it. I am not sure this is your goal.
Sometime the noise is from the rigid pipes resonating through the camper. You can add in flexible hoses (like ones to a toilet or sink in a house) at both sides intake and output of pump which will greatly reduce the amplification of the motor noise. Homedepot has lots of these.
It might be that your wire is too thin to the pump, the 12v+ feed to the fuse box, a bad ground or something somewhere in the electrical system and that is why the lights dim. You really should not notice the lights dimming so much from a pump. Though, I have two batteries, so one battery, or a small battery, or a weak battery might let lights dim more.
Something to considerโ€ฆ

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shurflo has two models of constant flow pumps, one uses a bypass diaphram that keeps the motor at a constant speed but allows water to bypass inside the pump head when pressure is reached, and the other is an electronic speed regulated unit.

The electronics only go as low as 4.5 gpm, and are a bit overpowered for a truck camper, I have the first one, which is whisper quiet and doesn't pressure wash oneself while showering ๐Ÿ™‚ .
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced mine with a Shurflo variable speed pump, and it worked great for 13 years (until I sold the camper -- don't know about after that). It was not quieter on full speed, but usually ran quieter at slower speed. Even at low speed, I wouldn't call it quiet, though.
Cal