cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utah to Colorado

Bigfeets
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed out of California come mid June and will be traveling to Colorado but first want to stop for a few nights. I am thinking we will try to hit Northern Utah and do a bit of Trout fishing and hopefully some boondocking. I am not seeing much about Northern Utah just the southern part of the state. It is most likely going to be too hot for us to consider that end of the state and that is the reasoning behind my choice to travel north.

All I know is that I like camping in the wilderness and am not scared to get off of the beaten path. I'm comfortable with gravel and dirt roads and am driving a 4x4 Dually.

I am looking for the scenic route!
Does anyone have any advice for some waterside boondocking?
12 REPLIES 12

Eurocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfeets wrote:
I prefer some high elevation places and really love dispersed camping. I was checking out the Flaming Gorge area and it appears to be about an hour away from Rock Springs. ....
Should we bring the Kayaks? A river float would be really cool but getting a ride back to the truck might be challenging. Maybe a guided river rafting trip might be better idea. All these choices............

There are several guide services at Flaming Gorge that will shuttle your car from the dam to the take-out at Little Hole seven miles down river. That section of the Green River is extremely scenic and contains some splashy class II rapids.
2008 Fleetwood Evolution E1
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4
Ex 1997 Volkswagen Eurovan Camper

Bigfeets
Explorer
Explorer
I have been researching Sylvan Lake, Fullford Cave and Mt. Elbert. There are still places available on Sylvan but it looks like Fullford is pretty small for a TC. I really don't want to be around a lot of people but it looks like I will be unless I can find places to boondock. Anyone have experience with White River National Forest?

I will also need to find a source for water every 7 or so days. I doubt there is going to be a Flying J within distance!

victor11
Explorer
Explorer
@whizbang- I really like your F-150 set-up! What's the longest trip you've taken with that configuration?

http://www.eaglevalleyrealty.org/

victor11
Explorer
Explorer
@whizbang- I really like your F-150 set-up! What's the longest trip you've taken with that configuration?

http://www.eaglevalleyrealty.org/

jtrent6415
Explorer
Explorer
So this is not northern colorado, but last summer we camped in Gunnision, CO. We drove up to Taylor lake. On the map it is taylor park reservoir. I think east and south east is BLM land? we saw a lot of dispersed camping out there. We headed over to Tin Cup, Mirror Lake and drove over one of the passes. Lots of ATV's and we also saw rafting down the Taylor River.
2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH
2005 Ford F-250 King Ranch (yes, the dreaded 6.0)
2004 Suburban 1500

Bigfeets
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer some high elevation places and really love dispersed camping. I was checking out the Flaming Gorge area and it appears to be about an hour away from Rock Springs. This is probably do-able for us and we will camp for 2 nights then hit the road to Colorado. This will be a good start to the trip.

Now on to camping in Northern Colorado! We might need to find a campground at some point but for the first 3-4 nights we will boondock if possible. We were initially looking at the Rocky Mountain Region but I'm not finding a lot of info on dispersed camping in the area. It looks like the the bigger campgrounds will be closed for paving and that could leave the other campgrounds very crowded. I really want to get off of the beaten path! Maybe some forest service roads or BLM land would great too.

Any help? Also, where is everyone getting water for their rig while on the road out there? I always stress about this until I can top off.

Should we bring the Kayaks? A river float would be really cool but getting a ride back to the truck might be challenging. Maybe a guided river rafting trip might be better idea. All these choices............

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Born and raised in Utah.

East Canyon was a favorite of mine for fishing.
Flaming Gorge is a nice one too...it can get a bit windy up there.

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
We camped around Logan. Flaming Gorge is MUCH better. Fish the Green River and Camp or Boondock around Flaming Gorge. You will be amazed.

Check out our blog and see for yourself.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy-89 from Logan to Garden City (Logan Canyon/Logan River) has a few no-hookup campgrounds through the canyon, and most will be walking distance to the river and dams. Once you get North of Right Fork (Camp Lomia) you can boondock almost anywhere.

IIRC there are 2 campgrounds between Logan and Right Fork. The one I can remember is really close to the Wind Caves.
There is one campground at the end of the pavement of Right Fork. There are a couple spots to boondock on the Right Fork road between 89 and Camp Lomia, but are usually taken on the weekends. At the end of the pavement on Right Fork, if you veer right and go through the gate (now heading due south), there are some places to pull off for the evening, but this takes you farther from the river. There is no need to go very far before you are out in the middle of nowhere. I don't know how far you want to get off the pavement... Did a lot of tent/truck camping up there in college. I don't remember what was to the left.
Temple Fork Road is (was not) a bad road to go up a short piece and spend a night or two. After a little bit it opens up again for a nice place to park next to a small stream. Camping next to Logan River isn't going to happen here.
There is an open field near the USU Forestry Field Station that I've seen many trailers at during hunting season (and holiday weekends), that place you near the river. Nice open spot.
There is a camp ground just before Tony Grove Lake (paved road to lake) that is on a hill side. There is also a camp ground on that 1500' spur right off of hwy89 that has paved spaces, but most are not level (like run out of tongue jack on your trailer not level). I THINK there was fresh water available at this one but I'm not making any guarantees.
I almost forgot. There is a road just before 3rd Dam; Google Earth marks the turn off at 41*45'07, 111*43'35. Boondock and fish right there 50' from your rig. In college we usually went there and fished and camped.

My order of preference.
1. Just down river of 3rd Dam. Free, right at river, flat road.
2. Boondock on Right Fork Road - near river, free, no room for a second rig to crowd you.
3. Campground (either one if there was two) between Logan and Right Fork - you're near the river for fishing, nice in cool in the canyon, plenty of shade trees
4. Camp Lomia at the end of Right Fork - still near river for fishing
5. USU Forestry field - free and near river
6. Tony Grove CGs - gonna pay a few bucks, but good fishing at Tony Grove Lake. Is a steep but paved road all the way to the Lake.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

jtrent6415
Explorer
Explorer
We like Flaming Gorge, there are some huge lake trout that are catchable without a boat. I remember seeing some people boondocking maybe on the northwest side of the lake?
2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH
2005 Ford F-250 King Ranch (yes, the dreaded 6.0)
2004 Suburban 1500

Bigfeets
Explorer
Explorer
^ That's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for that my friend and now I just need to find one of those places with a parking spot for the rig.

It looks like Birch Creek and Logan River might be nice.

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
Google some of these waters.
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke