cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT Wear on one tire..only took few short trips

LarryDel
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 21 ft TT barely used. We prepared our truck and TT for long awaited trip out west. When we arrived at South Dakota we noticed three tires still looked new but the fourth looks like it has 50K miled on it. It shows a lot of wear. We are very concerned but have no answers as to what it could be. Would appreciate any ideas. Thank you. Larry
11 REPLIES 11

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
A picture of the tire would help also, while I would tend to go to alignment problem myself, I had the same thing two years ago and it was the actual tire failing. what is the wear pattern and take a good look at the side wall for any dimples or bulges.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

nalts
Explorer
Explorer
I recently noticed that I have the same issue with the left rear tire on my TT. I plan to sell it and want to get the problem fixed before I do. Thanks for all the suggestions!
2003 Ford F-150
2019 Forest River Grey Wolf 23MK

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
LarryDel wrote:
We have a 21 ft TT barely used. We prepared our truck and TT for long awaited trip out west. When we arrived at South Dakota we noticed three tires still looked new but the fourth looks like it has 50K miled on it. It shows a lot of wear. We are very concerned but have no answers as to what it could be. Would appreciate any ideas. Thank you. Larry
50,000 miles of wear flat across the tread?

How about post a picture.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=3

TravelingDreame
Explorer
Explorer
All great info above, but start with the easiest. Check tire for out of round. Tire could have been manufactured poorly. Easy to check. Just jack up and spin tire. It should look perfectly round from front and side.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
A year ago, a couple in the park with a brand-new Solitude had bad tore wear from the trip to the dealer in Houston and 40 miles then to their site. After a trip to the dealer to check things and a new tire, they took a 300 mile trip and just about wore out the tire again. Back to the dealer and they had a trailer alignment shop check the trailer and the spring hangers on one axle were not put on right from Lippert.

A trailer shop repaired the spring hangers and Lippert paid the bill and another new tire.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Dont rule out spring hangers. Mine needed repositioned from new for the same
reason. Thats the frame work of your axle location. If thats off nothing else matters until spacing is correct.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
It could be one, or more than one, of several issues.
Your on the road so drop by a truck tire dealer with the camper. I've found they know more about tire wear issues on trailers than a rv dealer or car tire dealer down on the corner.
If its just a bad tire or loose bearing or loose wheel lugs... they can fix those issue.

If a bent axle a big rig trailer repair shop can bend the axle back to specs quickly and get you on your way.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Out of alignment or a loose wheel bearing.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jack it up and see if the wheel bearing is loose. Any recent servicing of the axles, new brakes or whatever? Look underneath and check if maybe the spring centering bolt broke. Do both sides look the same?
rub or strike a curb recently? Measure from a stationary point underneath to the center of the hub on each side. Same?
Measure center to center on each hub. Are the axles spaced the same?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bent axle or bent spindle/mount.
If itโ€™s as bad as you claim, you can see visually which way itโ€™s tweaked.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You've got an alignment problem.

Run a string across both tires at the axle level. Compare both sides.

I'll bet the tire wearing quickly is not parallel to the others. That probably means the axle is bent.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com