cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TT shopping

cptkirkh
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to all of this so if I make some mistakes try not to beat me up on it too much. I am looking at some TT's that have a GVWR under 6000 lbs. I want to pull it with my 2023 Pathfinder Rockcreek. Not looking to live in it permanent just long road trips across the country. Right now I have seen the Heartland Mallard P17QBH, Winnie Micro Minnie 1700BH or a KZ Escape E18. Any good or bad on either of these? Any other tips on what to look for would be great. Don't need a lot of space since it is just 3 of us. The wife and the kiddo. Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Per the manual: A weight-distributing hitch system (Class IV) is recommended if you plan to tow trailers with a maximum weight over 5,000 lbs

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Samsonsworld wrote:
IMO a WDH is a must have. It'll help distribute weight and prevent sway. I would use one regardless of which trailer you choose.

I've never had any maintenance on my slides other than I had one trailer with cable slides that kept breaking. I won't buy another with wires.

Just make sure you are allowed. Some unibody cars prohibit there use.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
IMO a WDH is a must have. It'll help distribute weight and prevent sway. I would use one regardless of which trailer you choose.

I've never had any maintenance on my slides other than I had one trailer with cable slides that kept breaking. I won't buy another with wires.

cptkirkh
Explorer
Explorer
Samsonsworld wrote:
You wouldn't have any trouble with the ones you listed if you have a 6k lb tow rating. Personally, I want room to move. With three people, I think you'll be tripping over each other. I really like a slide (must have for me) and murphy beds can offer great dual-use space. It really opens up the living area. Many similar layouts with different brands.

https://www.highlandridgerv.com/rvs/travel-trailers/2024-range-lite-air/19mbh/

Yeah that is why I was looking at those three. They have GVWR around 4200 and with the hitch weight and payload all fall into one. I also realize a WDH would be a nice addition. As far as space that is why I like the KZ hatch. That power bed goes up and opens up the rear of the TT for more space. Do the slides require more maintenance or does the extra space out weigh the maintenance? thanks for your advice.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thermoguy wrote:
Before you get set on any specifics on trailers, first understand what your Pathfinder can tow. You need to look at payload, that is weight on the ball. That is the important number, how much weight can it safely tow which is commonly called payload. This includes cargo in your tow vehicle. Once you know that, you can look for trailers that meet that standard. Often the 6000 GVWR is an incorrect number.

Just to clarify:
- Tow rating: That's how much tugging power and braking power the vehicle has.
- Payload: that's how much you can load into the truck. It includes passengers, cargo in the truck, any bolt on accessories and the hitch weight from the trailer.

Usually, in light duty station wagons (modern crossover SUVs are essentially station wagons as opposed to body on frame trucks), you run out of payload before you run out of tow rating.

I did a quick google, and your truck has a payload of 1295lb (check or a yellow sticker on the door to see if the factory numbers agree with google). If you have a higher level trim package, you may have a lower payload.

At 6000lb GVWR, you are likely looking at 700-900lb hitch weight. Ideally, 12-15% of the trailer weight should be on the hitch. 2 "american" size adults are likely around 400lb...That puts you at 1100-1300lb of payload used up. If you have kids, cooler, fire wood, etc,...odds are you are going to be over the payload limits on the station wagon.

Personally, I would be looking a GVWR of around 4000lb...but if you have a family with 2 full size teenage boys, you might be looking at 300-500lb left for hitch weight and that could translate to a 2500-3500lb trailer.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
You wouldn't have any trouble with the ones you listed if you have a 6k lb tow rating. Personally, I want room to move. With three people, I think you'll be tripping over each other. I really like a slide (must have for me) and murphy beds can offer great dual-use space. It really opens up the living area. Many similar layouts with different brands.

https://www.highlandridgerv.com/rvs/travel-trailers/2024-range-lite-air/19mbh/

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
A 6000# travel trailer will have a loaded tongue or hitch weight of 600# up to maybe 720# or maybe more. Once you load the family and cargo into the pathfinder will you have the payload capacity to add the additional 720# to the Pathfinder.

You cannot believe the brochure hitch weight as this is based on a dry trailer and does not include any manufacturers' options.

Ken

and many of the "options" aren't "options" at all. They are "standard" on virtually all trailers.

The yellow sticker on the door of the trailer lists the actual trailer weight as built without ANY propane in the tanks and without ANY battery installed.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
A 6000# travel trailer will have a loaded tongue or hitch weight of 600# up to maybe 720# or maybe more. Once you load the family and cargo into the pathfinder will you have the payload capacity to add the additional 720# to the Pathfinder.

You cannot believe the brochure hitch weight as this is based on a dry trailer and does not include any manufacturers' options.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you get set on any specifics on trailers, first understand what your Pathfinder can tow. You need to look at payload, that is weight on the ball. That is the important number, how much weight can it safely tow which is commonly called payload. This includes cargo in your tow vehicle. Once you know that, you can look for trailers that meet that standard. Often the 6000 GVWR is an incorrect number.