cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TT Bike rack for truck with topper

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Since my bumper on the trailer is not conducive for supporting anything other than itself and is not built in a way that it can be properly reinforced, I am looking for one that can attach between truck and trailer.

Since I have a topper on my truck that I will not remove(I store the genny and tools there) I am looking for one that won't interfere with the topper.

Max would be 4 bikes. Mountain bikes if that matters.
18 REPLIES 18

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is to attach a cargo carrier to the frame. I’ve never tried to put 4 bikes on ours, but my son puts 3 on his.
I made ours and his came with the camper.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will have to shop very carefully for a 4 bike rack that is "RV approved" by the manufacturer.
There are a lot of "bouncing forces" back there, which is why most rack companies won't warranty a rack used in such a manner.

I would also make sure your 2" reciever is attached to the frame of the trailer and not just the bumper.

All the best, and happy camping 🙂

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Seems easiest option would be to reinforce the TT bumper or scrap it for a sturdy piece of channel or tubing mounted hard to the trailer frame.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
5'5 bed, and I have a generator, LP tank, cooler and tool box back there. It also isn't tall enough unless I pull the wheels off.

What I initially was looking for was a rack to attach to the A arms, but after I looked at the trailer last night I realized that there isn't any room on the A arms to bolt anything to. It's too short and I have a hitch carrier on one side to hold the WDH when not using it. I had already posted this before looking. The other issue is there just isn't enough clearance between the truck and trailer to put one and still be able to turn tight or back up without hitting the truck or trailer.

So instead, what is a decent 4 bike carrier for 2" receiver? Now that I have a plan to put a stronger lightweight bumper on the trailer and a 2" receiver, I can use a universal one that I can use on the truck when not towing.

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
I can put 4 mountain bikes under the truck canopy easily and still have room for other cargo and my box is 6.5' long. First bike goes in with wheel turned atright angle and other bikes follow suit. Have cushions from old lawn furniture that go in between the bikes to keep them from rubbing on rough roads. A strap attached to an anchor spot on the side of the box goes around the bikes to keep them from moving.
Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
You can't mount a bike rack on the topper?

Doesn't have the roof supports needed, I would have to remove the inner liner and glass them in for that, it has a thin roof. That and getting them on and off would be a pain, I'm tallest at 5'8" and shrinking and everyone else is right around 5'2".

I think I am going to go with replacing the rear bumper with the one I found. It can support about 250 pounds at the distance a bike carrier extends. It will also help offset some of the tongue weight as it is a little heavy right now after replacing the Queen mattress with a Memory foam one that is about 5 times the weight!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
You can't mount a bike rack on the topper?
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put mine inside the trailer. Maybe less convenient but it works for me.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
Acdii wrote:
bob2194 wrote:
the other possibility, they sell front mounted hitch receivers. You could put one of those on the front of your vehicle and you would not have a turning radius problem and you could put on any receiver mounted bike mount you wanted.

Wont work with the Ecoboost, It was actually the first thing that came to mind.

Could you tell us why it won't work?

Interferes with the intercooler. If not towing it would be fine, but when towing, it needs all the air flow it can get to stay cool. That and mine is 2WD and would hang down too low, plus it is a Platinum and would not look right.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Xxx

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Acdii wrote:
bob2194 wrote:
the other possibility, they sell front mounted hitch receivers. You could put one of those on the front of your vehicle and you would not have a turning radius problem and you could put on any receiver mounted bike mount you wanted.

Could you tell us why it won't work?

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
OTOH came across this on Amazon which is rated at 500 lb/ft of torque which should have no issues supporting 4 bikes. Then I could go with any 2" tube bike carrier.

I had installed a 2" clamp on receiver, and never used is after finding it crushed the bumper tube a little too easily, which would eventually cause it to crack if I used any brackets to support the bumper, hence why I was looking for a front mount. Not at all concerned about tail weight as it is actually a tad nose heavy @ 13.8% on the ball.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here are more options.

E-Trailer tongue bike racks and mounts
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
bob2194 wrote: