cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

truck camper question

42lou
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering a truck camper as a camping alternative to the 38' fifth wheel that I have now. My question is, will the baseplate for my 5th wheel hitch interfere with the truck camper mounting on the truck bed? The baseplate sits flat except for the pin hinges which stick up about 1/2" or so. Would a rubber mat on the truck bed over the baseplate work? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.
Lou & Nikki
Daisy (Morkie)
Domino (Cat)
2010 New Horizons custom Fifth Wheel 38' Summit
2018 Host Mammoth Truck Camper
2009 F450 King Ranch
6.4L Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4.3 axle w/ towboss pkg.
5 REPLIES 5

42lou
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a lot for your replies, they were very helpful. I now have a pretty good idea of how to proceed.

Lou
Lou & Nikki
Daisy (Morkie)
Domino (Cat)
2010 New Horizons custom Fifth Wheel 38' Summit
2018 Host Mammoth Truck Camper
2009 F450 King Ranch
6.4L Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4.3 axle w/ towboss pkg.

12V_Cummins
Explorer
Explorer
Get a 4'x8' 1/2 plywood and cut out where the brackets are. Put a rubber bed mat ontop of the plywood.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I have the rails in my truck bed. I have tried most methods to raise the TC over the rails. I have several several different platforms, used platforms with rubber mat, used 4x4, used 2x6 (laid flat), and used ridged foam. Of all the methods I have used, I prefer the 2x6 (kiln dried for lighter weight) laid flat, and that is what I am using now. Relatively light for me to load and unload and do not compress at the edges of the TC.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Often some form of spacer is added to the bed/camper to allow the camper to clear either the cab or bed sidewalls. No reason why you couldn't use something similar to clear the pin hinges. Also, not sure about other manufacturers but the bottom of my Northstar is framed so those hinges may not even contact the bottom of the camper depending on their location.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
most use thick rigid foam to space the camper over their mounting rails..with my overbuilt t/c i will be using a frame work of 2x2's and angle iron to clear mine..
1999 F550 truck conversion