cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck camper dolly. Homemade

Explorer
Explorer
I built this from a picture I saw from another rv.netter. Works great and made a few mods.

The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.
11 REPLIES 11

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
That would have worked with our Shadow Cruiser hard side as we unload on concrete in barn but we gave up on removal back and forth and went the REAL expensive route and just bought another truck for work and leave camper on dually. Too many tools and tool box to be very convenient to keep switching. Yours is a very sane and economical solution. Very well done.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

nuckfan
Explorer
Explorer
Gripnriprod wrote:
nuckfan wrote:
That looks great. I was thinking about building one as well. I've got a gravel driveway and wasn't sure on what wheel to put on it? Nice, thanks for sharing.

For a gravel surface you'll need fairly large diameter pneumatic tires that are axle mounted like a wagon. The style wheels being used in this cart are designed for smooth hard surfaces and will dig into the gravel.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, it would be much easier to maneuver with larger diameter pneumatic tires, but noticed in one of 352's pics it was sitting on gravel and with solid 6" wheels.
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Renogy 100 amp solar, Honda EU2000i Gen.
2011 Travel Lite 800:C

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work! That looks stout enough to park a Class A ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
nuckfan wrote:
That looks great. I was thinking about building one as well. I've got a gravel driveway and wasn't sure on what wheel to put on it? Nice, thanks for sharing.

For a gravel surface you'll need fairly large diameter pneumatic tires that are axle mounted like a wagon. The style wheels being used in this cart are designed for smooth hard surfaces and will dig into the gravel.
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

nuckfan
Explorer
Explorer

nuckfan
Explorer
Explorer

Explorer
Explorer
shellbackcva59 wrote:
352 wrote:
Tom_Anderson wrote:
The dolly looks great, but those casters don't look too strong. What's the weight rating on them?

800lb each

What's the wheel diameter, and would you mind telling me where you got them. My dolly has 4" wheels and is tough moving around. I'd like to go to 6" or more.

6 inch. And if you look at the pic that looks like a hockey stick around a castor, you can see how simple it is to turn the castors in the direction needed without bending over,

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
Tom_Anderson wrote:
The dolly looks great, but those casters don't look too strong. What's the weight rating on them?

800lb each

What's the wheel diameter, and would you mind telling me where you got them. My dolly has 4" wheels and is tough moving around. I'd like to go to 6" or more.

Explorer
Explorer
Tom_Anderson wrote:

800lb each

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
That really looks great. Really stout and offering full support for the campers floor. Good job.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953