cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Winterizing

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Having trouble winterizing our 2017 Outback 325BH. I’ve done my own winterizing for years on several camper with little to no problems. Here the problem, I got the HWH bypass figured out and drained. I used my small compressor (with the pressure reducer) to blow out all the water lines and low point drains. Located the antifreeze pickup tube and valve to change from fresh water to the antifreeze tube. That’s where my troubles are. The antifreeze will not pickup from the jug. So I tried several things to see if I could troubleshoot the problem. The pickup tube has no suction no matter what position the valve is placed in. I unscrewed the hose on the intake side of the pump and turned the pump on and felt suction on my finger tip. When the tube with the valve is connected to the pump nothing. I blew into the pickup tube and with the valve in the freshwater position nothing blow through. I put the valve in the antifreeze pickup tube position and I can blow air into the tube but it does not come out at the fitting that connected to the pump.
I know a long post thanks for bearing with me.
Could the winterizing pickup tube valve be installed incorrectly? Could the valve be bad ? That valve has Pex connections and I don’t want to mess with that unless I have to.
Thanks for any input
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH
13 REPLIES 13

hussbuss
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to do any pec plumbing, most ACE hardware stores will rent you a crimping tool if you buy your fittings there. My local ACE actually loaned me one for 3 crimps.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
when my pump won't suck I have a funnel I put into the tube, and pour antifreeze into the funnel, my wife goes around to all the faucets , shower and toilet and outside shower. works for us

.....that's what I do to start it. Fill the clear plastic suction tube with pink, then shove it into the container of pink, and it will suck.
"prime the pump"

ps, to make it easy to prime that small line, I have a plastic squeeze bottle that was for ketchup or mustard. Has a skinny spout that will fit into the end of the clear hose to prime the pump.

scotty46
Explorer
Explorer
I just pour into the fresh water holding tank and then run the trailer pump. Have done this for years with no problems or freezing. Do turn on the by pass valve on the water heater until done and turn it back to get a little in the water heater tank.

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Probably sucking air for some reason but to make your own winterizing system all you need is a faucet connector on the intake side of pump.

Yes, a faucet connector like on your kitchen or bathroom sink faucet, perfect fit.

Got what I needed today to do just that.
Thanks
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Probably sucking air for some reason but to make your own winterizing system all you need is a faucet connector on the intake side of pump.

Yes, a faucet connector like on your kitchen or bathroom sink faucet, perfect fit.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

skipro
Explorer
Explorer
Terry 25 wrote:
Maybe you need to open a faucet to get the pump primed.

That's what I have to do to get things going. Opening a faucet with the pump running should do the trick.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
when my pump won't suck I have a funnel I put into the tube, and pour antifreeze into the funnel, my wife goes around to all the faucets , shower and toilet and outside shower. works for us

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
With a couple of feet of line going from the pump to the bottle, you should have no trouble priming (they are self priming anway).
You would not be the first to have the pickup tube installed on the output of the pump instead of the input. Does the tube blow bubbles in the AF container?
If so then it's put together backwards.
The other possibility is the valve itself is installed backwards. Look closely at it and you'll see an arrow on the side of it to indicate flow direction. A valve installed backwards can allow air infiltration.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
pump needs primed so it will suck the antifreeze up

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you need to open a faucet to get the pump primed.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Since you're in the middle of this winterizing process I wouldn't bother trying to figure it out, just unscrew the winterizing valve and screw on a Shurflo Fitting with a short length of soft hose connected to it that you can then stick into a jug of antifreeze. K.I.S.S. 🙂

Thanks that is exactly what I was planning for my next move.
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Since you're in the middle of this winterizing process I wouldn't bother trying to figure it out, just unscrew the winterizing valve and screw on a Shurflo Fitting with a short length of soft hose connected to it that you can then stick into a jug of antifreeze. K.I.S.S. 🙂
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like something is wrong with that valve. Do you have the Pex crimp connections? You can buy a crimping tool for $50, some crimps and a new valve for a couple dollars more... or you can buy some Sharkbite 3 way valve with shutoff for about $20 and replace the valve yourself.

Pex is actually very easy to work with. I have used the Sharkbite style fittings on several applications and they have been problem free and super easy to use. A little pricey, but cheaper than a plumber or RV repairman!

Good luck!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS