cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report: Across country delivering Sleepy's camper

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
So, it is time for another trip report from me. I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ve done one since Norway last year, so I am overdue. This one however will be a bit different. It will involve Sally and I travelling internationally as usual, and will also involve a truck camper as usual, just not the usual combination.

Background

To understand this trip, letโ€™s wind back a few years. Iโ€™ve known many of you on RV.net for a number of years and weโ€™ve met up in various places. Amongst my Truck Camper friends I am happy to count Sleepy โ€“ otherwise known as Chet. As you undoubtedly know, Chet has spent more than a thousand nights in his current camper (he built his own before that). Chet and I have communicated for several years independently from RV.net too.

Camper failures

Many of us have suffered from that feeling of disappointment and dread when we suddenly find horrendous rot, delamination or structural failure in our campers. Chet, whose 13-year old Lance 1161 has been used very extensively, unfortunately joined this club.

So what do you do? It is obvious when a camper is nearly new and worth a lot of money โ€“ you repair it. It is obvious when the camper is a worthless pile of junk with no historic value, abandoned in someoneโ€™s front yard โ€“ you send it to the junk yard. But many of us fall into that intermediate grey area where there are arguments in favour of both sides and we have to weigh it all up and make that difficult decision.

This was Chetโ€™s dilemma and he had to weigh up all the variables to work out the optimum answer. No-one can do that for you, we can all provide our advice and opinions, but in the end it was down to Chet and his wife Janet. Their preferred choice was to have the camper they knew, in a layout they liked (which is no longer available) with all their years of customisations for their travel preferences, rebuilt.

In Chetโ€™s case the culprit was structural damage โ€“ the structure around the slide was cracking and collapsing, and the floor of the bed area was cracking away from the cabover side, pus a number of other problems. The interior was still like new though.

A plan forms

After some dead ends, and thanks to Captain PJ locating a shop in Tacoma that were able to rebuild his 1161 (the same model as Chetโ€™s), with excellent results, Chet has a potential solution.

But Tacoma is a long way from Oak Ridge and Chet doesnโ€™t feel like making the journey both ways.
So in our email conversations, Chet starts dropping hints. Would we like to ferry his camper across country in the spring / summer of 2016? We would love to. A favour to a friend of course, but also a great opportunity for us. But we are already committed, having purchased ferry tickets for Norway and I donโ€™t get enough time out from my job to do two major trips in a year. The only real solution is to leave it a year and have the camper rebuilt in 2017.

How would this work?

Chet generously says we can take as long as we liked to get the camper across country, but in reality, I can take at most 3 weeks off work (and Iโ€™ve never done that before, so this is testing the limits).
I book the flights โ€“ American Airlines outbound (flying to Knoxville via Chicago) and British Airways return from SeaTac direct to London.

There is a 5-hour timezone difference between London and Oak Ridge. However, business requires that I be in Bangalore, India for 2 weeks leading up to the cross-country trip, so I have an extra 4.5 hours of timezone change to get used to as well.

The opportunity to take this trip also coincided with the need to replace the soft top on my Jeep. They are expensive in Britain, but I can save a lot of money by bringing one back home with me. The soft-top is ordered and quickly delivered to Captain PJโ€™s house in Tacoma for safe keeping until we arrive. I get a good deal on one of those big bright yellow rubberised hold-alls you see circling the baggage carousel at airports โ€“ the type that implies the owners are heading for a mountain, yacht or white water raft. Getting the size right is critical โ€“ it has to be large enough to take the Jeep soft-top, but still comply with the size limitations of two different airlines, including a regional jet. When we planned the flight I had gold status with British Airways โ€“ this afforded me a ridiculous amount of hold baggage. By the time we come to fly though, a year of doing local projects had eroded that status and we are now restricted to one 23kg bag each. Given one of those bags will need to be full of Jeep soft top on the return journey, that meant almost all our gear for the trip needs to fit into one bag! We will be travelling light, despite being in a huge camper. Chet makes our lives easier though by arranging to loan us various things we will need, such as a tripod, trekking poles, etc.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
67 REPLIES 67

pgf
Explorer
Explorer
Hi -- I'm new here. I found the forum and this thread while searching the web for first-hand experiences with the platinum cat heaters. I read sleepy's excellent install thread, and then looked around the forum for more references to the heater.

So: It sounds like the heater wouldn't start on this trip. Has that been diagnosed yet? (Excellent trip report from sabconsulting, btw!)

We're strongly considering the 3P12 for our DIY Ford Transit based camper van.
paul

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
btggraphix wrote:
...But it appears there has been some sort of international incident, that could precipitate another revolutionary war or something, so evidence is being gathered. If you have any information about this person, please notify the proper red-coated authorities

I admit nothing - I was nowhere near this international incident when it occurred, honest, or at least I was not squeezed into the illustrated toilet cubicle - I'm sure it was someone with a bigger beard than me. Check with the guy who came in at the same time to unblock the shower drain - I think it was all his fault.

Actually - did he say anything? After walking in on a large man standing astride a toilet, seeming to take a dubious selfie!

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome trip report. I heard I had to come take a look.....I need to read via my PC instead of this silly phone.

But it appears there has been some sort of international incident, that could precipitate another revolutionary war or something, so evidence is being gathered. If you have any information about this person, please notify the proper red-coated authorities

2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Steve, this is why you cam halfway around the world to deliver our camper.

I have posted some pictures on my Facebook page showing what's involved in putting new Filon on a camper.

The pictures start when the cabover is striped to a gaping monster hole.

Chet Thornton

If you have thought about doing it yourself you will see enough on Facebook to know what's involved.

Thanks

Sleepy
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Janet and I are excited:

PJ sent us a note this this morning: David asked for his help today. PJ has reported before that the siding is very large and heavy... that it takes several extra people to handle it. Lots of braces and props

And many many tubes of adhesive. I like that!

I have also talked with David. They will be putting the skin on the front of the camper starting today.... it's a three day process as they do the front in stages.

We need the photo documentation of studs, insulation, and the new filon skin for insurance purposes... it shows the true value. We'll also an invoice and breakdown of labor and material costs... i.e., we need paperwork showing what we have invested and why also of course.

Oh Goody... thanks David and PJ

Chet
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Janet and I are excited:

PJ sent us a note this this morning: David asked for his help today. PJ has reported before that the siding is very large and heavy... that it takes several extra people to handle it. Lots of braces and props

And many many tubes of adhesive. I like that!

I have also talked with David. They will be putting the skin on the front of the camper starting today.... it's a three day process as they do the front in stages.

We need the photo documentation of studs, insulation, and the new filon skin for insurance purposes... it shows the true value. We'll also an invoice and breakdown of labor and material costs... i.e., we need paperwork showing what we have invested and why also of course.

Oh Goody... thanks David and PJ

Chet

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Sleepy, I think you have the same Heliotrope PV system as me, are you switching that out and updating or keeping the panels and controller the same?
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Dale L

We've learned what a great effort it takes on the part of everyone in addition to $$$$$ to make this work.

We have been very lucky to have all of the friendly pieces fitting together.

Little did PJ know what a task he'd taken on when he decided to have Mike Lentz RV work on his 2005 Lance 1161...

first.. the hold up waiting on Lentz to recover from a a business totaling fire and the rebirth of their business as Southend RVRepair

then keeping up with the heart wrenching tear down of his camper Ashe watched areas of rot that he'd never suspected.

So many people would have given up.... but not PJ. He and M loved their 1161 and never looked back... they kept their eyes on the finished camper.

PJ visited and documented like others would have with a sick child. He shared everything with his friends and truck Camper family on the truck camper forum.

We had been friends for years and watched with curious interest, thankful that we would never have major problems like that.

I had been stopped in my tracks by medical problems, hospital time etc. for quite some time.

Our 1161 sat under our huge carport waiting.... with the front left corner of the cabover needing a little help. And maybe fix that rear passenger corner a little.... Oh heck! Maybe that area between the slide out and the propane locker.... but I needed fixing first.

As I recovered I marveled at PJ's repair and decided that we should take our camper to the same shop. We'd been all over and seen a lot of poor repair facilities encluding national chains... no, PJ's guys were the best.

I phoned PJ and lots of emails....

but knowing that I couldn't deliver the camper. I wasn't that recovered.

But how could I get it there... maybe get one of the camper delivery transports to take it back when the made a delivery from a manufacturer in the north west... the way I reasoned it though it wouldn't work. We'd have to ship it empty... and later we'd have to drive the truck up. We wouldn't have the stuff that makes our TC's home.

I mused some more... what if someone would deliver it on their vacation... Janet was thumbs down. "I don't want people we don't know in our camper, what about liability?"

I was still communicating with PJ... and had talked with Mike Lentz.

I came up with the one person in the world that had all of the qualifications to do it... but he had already scheduled his travel for the year... and he lived in England. I was determined and broached the subject with him a little at a time. But we'd have to wait a year. We started making plans and reservations for 16 months away.

I could have handled it this year but the plans were made, Steve would be flying in from India by way of London. How could I mess with that?

By this year another friend had slipped in and PJ was the eyes and ears for Harold who was a couple of thousand miles away. That turned out to be good for me and Harold... he got his 1161 repaired and Dave the chief rebuilder got even more experience ferreting out nasty areas of rot and ruin, cracks and breaks.

Without the Blessings of PJ, Steve, Dave, and Mike I wouldn't be sitting here waiting on PJs next report... I no longer hold my breath... but we get mighty excited.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
I wish we could have spent more leisurely time showing you where things are stored and how things worked.

You eventually found the blankets... but too late.

There is a ceramic cube heater in the small floor level cabinet between rhe bathroom door and the slideout step... handy if you had a campsite with electrical hook-up

The electric adapters are in the power cord bin on the outside drivers side of the camper

There were folding chairs I stored againest the inside back of the trucks cab

I am glad that you did a lot of boondocking... our camper loved it.

We also wish that you'd had time to go to The Historic Graphite Reactor at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and the American Museum of Atomic Energy. We still build the big boys about 3 miles from our house.

New pictures on LOA... Chet's 1161 Rebuild tonight... they are making a lot of progress

Thank you again for helping us,

Chet and Janet

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
TREMENDOUS trip report Steve! That report is both a work of enormity and of overwhelming friendship and kindness.

It took me (well, "us") quite some time to read through "cover-to-cover", but we did it :B

A great reference "thread" too for anyone wanting to do an extensive camper rebuild, with people who can do the job very competently!

Cheers,
Sand & Dunes
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Oh Bravo! The best ever Steve, what a fabulous trip report and all that is encompassed. Helping friends, meeting friends and seeing so so much. I'm glad I didn't miss it and thanks to you for the time spent on the post. You've met the best of the best with Bryan, Brian and LaDawn and the others as well who I don't know personally. What's next Steve, a moon trip lol?
Regards to you both,
Dave

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Steve... our truck is a 2003 Duramax Allison

Some of these early models had injector problems but we never have... we have never ever tried to hot-rod it.

We had the truck checked out a couple of months before your trip and spent a bundle on a steering hose and pump. They had it on the computer and nothing showed up.

Chet

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, great trip report, detailed narrative and great pics!! Looks like your trip worked out great for both parties.
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Great T.R. Almost the exact same route we took in 2015, except we started in OH. On day 15, your right off 89 was our left off 2, onto 49. We encountered the same delays in 89 as you did,but two years earlier. We hit a spot about 2/3 of the way through 49 that had washed out at some point,and all they did was fill it in with millings (probably from 89), and never compacted it, we're lucky we didn't end up a few miles down in the canyon. I'don't think we'll ever take 49 again with the camper on, too many white knuckle moments. Glad you enjoyed your trip on our side of the "pond" and for being able to help out a fellow TC'er. Thanks again to you and your better half for bringing us back to our best trip so far. K Mac.