cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailers vs Motor Home

drk351
Explorer
Explorer
I know this has been discussed before, but I am going to bring it up again. I have 2000 Winnebago diesel pusher that needs some work. I am thinking of down-sizing to a 28-foot 2017 Vibe travel trailer. I would appreciate some opinions from people who have made a similar switch. Right now, I am leaning towards the travel trailer. I would like to thank you all in advance.
28 REPLIES 28

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have observed many many times in RV parks and campgrounds people stuck for days at a time with complicated mechanical issues with their newer Class A MHs and repeated visits from mobile repair technicians. In 16 years of towing a TT I never had a serious maintenance issue with my R-Vision 28 foot lte Trail Cruiser. Worry and maintenance free for fun and fishing in local areas whereas Class A folks set in chairs at campsite with all MH outside compartments open trying to solve their problems. Cheers to the truth and the d

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
larry cad wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
With a motorhome and no towed, you are โ€œtrappedโ€ in the campsite IMO. No one wants to break camp to go to town for lunch.

And with a travel trailer and no "tow vehicle", you are "trapped" also. Not sure what you point was, except that with a motorhome you can travel without a towed.

Derrp
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only thing I don't see referenced is, Difference in size, ie: if you have a 34-36 ft Class A and go to a 28 ft TT, there's a big difference in comfort space/ storage space and generally lower class amenities. (Notice the term, Generally) as nothing about an RV is written in stone.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see lots of people these days with various sized MHโ€™s going toad less. If you plan it correctly you can usually find transportation nearby, but there are times when having a toad is a life saver.

Renting a motorhome eliminates a toad, unless you use a dolly or car carrying trailer.

All forms of RVโ€™s โ€œrequireโ€ two components. Either you have a car/truck and a trailer (5th wheel included), or a MH and a toad (various setups). Which is better is an opinion.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog wrote:
I don't think the poster asked about the 5th wheels. I have owned and towed many TT, etc plus owned Class C, and Class A motor homes and have switched back and forth between Claa A and TT at least 10 times in the over 60 yrs of towing RVs. I have a 34 ft TT at the present time but I am thinking about going back to a Class A.I have had no problem with towing TT or driving a 36 ft Class A

Interesting observation! I thought that tow trailers and 5th wheels were both trailers:)

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
With a motorhome and no towed, you are โ€œtrappedโ€ in the campsite IMO. No one wants to break camp to go to town for lunch.

And with a travel trailer and no "tow vehicle", you are "trapped" also. Not sure what you point was, except that with a motorhome you can travel without a towed.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think the poster asked about the 5th wheels. I have owned and towed many TT, etc plus owned Class C, and Class A motor homes and have switched back and forth between Claa A and TT at least 10 times in the over 60 yrs of towing RVs. I have a 34 ft TT at the present time but I am thinking about going back to a Class A.I have had no problem with towing TT or driving a 36 ft Class A
samsontdog:o:W

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
drk351 wrote:
I know this has been discussed before, but I am going to bring it up again. I have 2000 Winnebago diesel pusher that needs some work. I am thinking of down-sizing to a 28-foot 2017 Vibe travel trailer. I would appreciate some opinions from people who have made a similar switch. Right now, I am leaning towards the travel trailer. I would like to thank you all in advance.

I towed a travel trailer 32' Holiday Rambler for 10 yrs. and a Big Horn 5th. wheel for 10 yrs. I would recommend a 5th. wheel without question. They are easier to hitch and unhitch and are much more stable with driving down the road. i.e. when strong winds and big 18-wheelers pass you will hardly notice.

Agree with you on stability of towing with one caveat - we towed a 32' TT before purchasing our FW and towed it with a Hensley Arrow. No sway when 18 wheelers passed.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
drk351,

Do you have a vehicle capable of pulling a trailer?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
drk351 wrote:

I towed a travel trailer 32' Holiday Rambler for 10 yrs. and a Big Horn 5th. wheel for 10 yrs. I would recommend a 5th. wheel without question. They are easier to hitch and unhitch and are much more stable with driving down the road. i.e. when strong winds and big 18-wheelers pass you will hardly notice.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We downsized from a 32 foot Winnebago Class C to a 23 foot Airstream trailer. We are pleased. Each one has advantages and disadvantages. You have to decide which advantages and disadvantages are important to you.

When we had the motorhome, my bladder could go from gas up to gas up so I didn't have to stop for a potty break. SWMBO could go while we drove down the road. As I aged, my bladder got weaker so I was having to stop before a gas break. That particular advantage went away.

We like not having an extra vehicle to maintain and insure. We had a vehicle JUST to tow behind the motorhome. Now, we only have our two daily drivers, and mine is the tow vehicle.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
We never actually owned a motorhome but rented them quite a bit before we decided on a travel trailer. The decision was based on practicality as once we were set up with the motorhome we were basically trapped in the campground. A travel trailer gave us the flexibility to explore once we set up the trailer.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I have no personal experience but have talked to a few people who have and they seem to be very happy with the switch.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience