cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel trailer insurance

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
My annual insurance premium is due for my 2009 Keystone travel trailer and I was wondering if I actually need insurance for it. I own the trailer outright and I believe the full coverage on my truck covers it when towing. I'm paying over $200 year for insurance and it sits on my property most of the time. Maybe take it out 4 times a year. What does everybody else do?
16 REPLIES 16

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Check with your insurance company first....

and know the difference between comprehensive/collision/liability.

If the TT is UNhooked and somebody trips over your power cord at a campsite then
in all probability you are NOT covered.

I pay < $150 for full insurance on my TT - well worth the piece of mind.

Several years ago I had the backdoor open on my van. I took a sharp turn and the door struck the camper. I destroyed the door and put a large ding on the camper. The TV insurance picked up the damage to the TV and the TT Insurance picked up the damage to the TT (with 2 deductibles)
Gerry

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Check with your tow vehicle insurance company and see if you can add it to that policy. May be cheaper than what you are paying now.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, my trailer is covered three ways depending on the situation.

(1.) Covered by trailer insurance.

(2.) Covered by tow vehicle insurance.

(3.) Covered by Home Owner's insurance.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
note the common coverage. covered by the TV policy while in tow for liability. that's what mine is. Now once unhooked, no liability coverage unless I have a trailer policy. so w/o extra coverage I'm personally liable for the trailer, occupants etc. once it is unhooked. trailer catches fire and someone is injured..... w/o coverage I'm on the hook.

I just have a high deductible and coverage is $100/year.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick reply all. Some are valid points to consider that I didn't even think about. I guess in the grand scheme of things, $200 is well spent. I pay and have no worries. Thanks everybody.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
My truck's liability covers my trailer while in tow. So if the trailer side swipes a shed while I'm towing it, my truck's insurance will pay to fix or replace the shed. My truck's insurance will not repair the trailer.

If you are ok with paying the replacement or repair costs on your own, go ahead and drop the insurance. Me? I think $200 is cheap enough to go ahead and keep the trailer and the stuff in it covered.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
big_jeff wrote:
My annual insurance premium is due for my 2009 Keystone travel trailer and I was wondering if I actually need insurance for it. I own the trailer outright and I believe the full coverage on my truck covers it when towing. I'm paying over $200 year for insurance and it sits on my property most of the time. Maybe take it out 4 times a year. What does everybody else do?

Once you find out if, in your state. The trailer has liability coverage while hooked to the TV. Only you can decide if it is worth the cost. IF your Tt is worth over 5000. then 200 ain't that much to spend to cover it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Somehow the TT while parked on an incline and unhooked (in a beautiful campsite) breaks free of the chocks rolls into someone or something and you arenโ€™t covered. Oh my, you โ€œsavedโ€ three hundred.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
My TV offers liability coverage when towing it at no charge, the collision does not extend to the trailer.
If someone rear ends the TT and leaves the scene then I'm not covered.

That's why a carry collision. It's less then $200/year on my package policy.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
If a tree falls on it, wind storm, tornado, fire, flood, roll it in the ditch or vandalism...tell her good by.
Brian

PopBeavers
Explorer II
Explorer II
The day after I brought our new Cougar home I did $9300 in damage to the roof. I filed an insurance claim.

I keep mine insured.
Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2015 Ford F350 diesel 6.7L 4x4 crew cab short bed
Super Glide hitch

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
In my case, the truck insurance extends it's liability protection to the trailer while in tow.

The truck insurance does not cover the trailer for a loss such as fire, theft, etc.

Your policy may be different from mine.

EDIT: the post that followed mine is a good example. For instance, let's say I am backing my trailer into a camp spot, and damage the trailer by hitting a tree. In that case the truck insurance would NOT extend to cover the damage to the trailer. It would however cover the cost of replacing the tree, if the CG owner pushed it, because the liability coverage of the truck would extend to the trailer. But I'd be on my own paying for damage to the trailer, unless I have it insured on it's own policy ( which I do ).

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
If you take it out 4x a year, of course insure it!

You better check out your car insurance policy to see if what you believe to be true is in fact, correct!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
What, this quality built trailer catch on fire and burn.. Just kidding of course but is that the only reason. The trailer is 9 years old and on its last legs.. Surprised its still together.