cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailer for the long haul

maddod_duck
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for recommendations on a trailer that's up to the challenge of high miles.

My first TT was a 23' 2008 Surveyor. It was well built and sturdy. It had no slides. And it got tight for our family of 4 on long trips.

My second (and current) TT is a 2014 30' Flaggstaff Vlite bunkhouse. We love the layout, but as an ultralight, I fear it may be a little flimsy for our use.

In the 2 years we've owned it, it's been from Texas to South Dakota (Mt Rushmore), Arizona (Grand Canyon), Colorado, Oklahoma, and Arkansas; and--literally--all over Texas. That's at least 12,000 miles.

I'm starting to see a gap between the floor and the back wall (daylight can be seen)...about 1/4 inch. The slides don't seem to hold adjustment. Walking from the living room to the bedroom (back of the trailer) feels like you're walking down-hill. I replaced the C-rated tires with E-rated tires as soon as I bought the trailer. While none of the tires has blown, they have all worn horribly...and I'm told torsion axles can't be aligned.

My tow vehicle is a diesel 2016 GMC 2500HD quad cab standard bed 4x4.

What are some brands/models that would be considered standard as opposed to "ultralight"? I'd like to stick to a TT because sometimes I carry my ATV in the bed of the truck. I'd be open to a 5th wheel and tandem towing a small utility trailer for that purpose. My wife has never seen a toy hauler she liked.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine on this.

Matt
2014 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WTBS
2016 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Crew 6.6L
27 REPLIES 27

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
If you have plenty of money, take a look at Oliver trailers. Top-shelf!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I have a light weight, a Skyline Koala 21CS, 24 ft bumper to ball, with a GVWR of 4950#.

I've put over 21k miles on it, including over 7900 miles from Virginia to LA, California and back, of course.

It's held up pretty solidly.

All I've done is grease the axles, and put new tires on when I bought it. Knock on wood, the Maxxis have performed well, and hardly look worn.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
If/when I trade it will be an Arctic Fox.

Things I will never buy again:
10" brakes.
2-3/8" axles.
3 piece welded I-beams.
Electric awning.

the 4th one I would change to, Electric awning without adjustable pitch.

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
We have 10,000 + miles on our TT. Still looks great.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

Oldcow
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

10" brakes.
2-3/8" axles.
3 piece welded I-beams.
Electric awning.

I agree with the brakes. I have them on my 34 foot 7500 lbs trailer and they are terrible.

Can you explain the why for the rest of your list?

Oldcow
2013 Outback 300RB TT
2010 Tundra

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

10" brakes.
2-3/8" axles.
3 piece welded I-beams.
Electric awning.

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Northwoods and Outdoors RV offer upgraded Mor-Ryde suspensions and wet bolt HD shackle kits as standard equipment and every trailer has shock absorbers, 4 season insulation, thermal pane windows, pre-wired for solar etc. Better built and ready for off road.

They are heavy though so unless you have a 1 ton carrying a quad in the truck bed is not going to work.

As you have discovered, light weight and well built are two different worlds.

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
I also recommend Arctic Fox or Nash. Both RV's have been on the road for years--are well thought of as a 4 seasons camper, a heavy duty camper that is made to go off road as well as down the paved road. My experience with the Arctic Fox 5'vr and 30,000+ miles later convinced my DW and I this is a well built camper. Our last trip from So. Calif. to B.C. and the Yukon Terr. sure made a believer out of us. Good Luck, Lars
http://northwoodmfg.com/
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Stay on top of regular maintenance. Not just before and after a trip but during the trip.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
I have heard very good things about the Arctic Fox brand. My cousin has one but his is one of their heavy duty options with thermal glass all around. His is pretty high off of the ground too but man, is it solid. We walk around in it during fishing trips and with three of us, you can't feel it give anywhere.

You are right to stay away from ultra lights as your experience tells you.

Good luck in the hunt.

X2

Nash or Artic Fox. Heavy trailers but built solid.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Northwood or Outdoors RV (sister companies, same owner, same in-house built chassis.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have heard very good things about the Arctic Fox brand. My cousin has one but his is one of their heavy duty options with thermal glass all around. His is pretty high off of the ground too but man, is it solid. We walk around in it during fishing trips and with three of us, you can't feel it give anywhere.

You are right to stay away from ultra lights as your experience tells you.

Good luck in the hunt.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I can not offer any suggestions.

I went from a "light" weight 21 foot to a little older more solid type of trailer.. 30 foot.. but went from 3,500 pounds to 8,000. but its much better built and made with stronger stuff. my opinion

but it does look like most trailers today are "Light" , extra "Light" extreme "Light"

best of Luck in your search...