Explorer
Has anyone had to replace a front windshield on a Flagstaff or Rockwood trailer
About how much does it run and can any automotive glass shop do the job
7 REPLIES 7

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
ontheroadbob wrote:
The windshield is a laminated 2 layer exactly like a windshield.It is not tempered glass like side glass in a car.It is bonded with urethane adhesive

Depends.

AUTO windshields MUST not only be laminated, they MUST be TEMPERED!

Trailer windows MUST be TEMPERED but NOT required to be LAMINATED.

Both kinds are a type of "safety glass" however the applications are different.

Tempering is a heat and chemical process which creates a very high tension on the glass surfaces. It is what causes a window to explode into a million TINY less sharp pieces. The Tempering process also greatly increases the glass strength over plain plate glass making it ideal for mobile applications that may see high wind and vibrations..

Non Tempered glass often breaks into very large LETHAL sharp shards of glass.

For automobile windshields they take two pieces of glass, and put a clear piece of plastic in between the two pieces of glass then under high pressure and heat melt and bond the two pieces together.

This now creates a window which will hold the glass together when broken. However, if it in not Tempered, those pieces will be huge lethal shards which would instantly decapitate any body part that manages to go through the windshield in an accident (punch through CAN and does occasionally happen).

THEREFORE for AUTOMOBILE windshields they MUST not only be laminated BUT TEMPERED. Driver side windows do not need laminated but do need to be TEMPERED.

BOTH Laminated and Tempered glass are considered types of "safety glass" and many folks universally call Tempered only as safety glass because of that..

However, the OP is NOT asking about an AUTOMOBILE WINDSHIELD, they are asking about a TRAVEL TRAILER FRONT WINDOW.

Travel trailer windows DO NOT "NEED" to be laminated but DO need to be TEMPERED.

The RV manufacturer "may" have had the front window laminated and tempered when foregoing a rock shield but I suspect it is not laminated, only Tempered. No reason to spend the additional money to laminate the front window when it is not legal in any State to have any human riding in a bumper pull trailer.

IF there is anything left of the OPs window, there should be a triangle marking in one of the corners in the glass which WILL indicate LAMINATED AND TEMPERED glass OR if it only TEMPERED glass.

Once Tempered, the glass cannot be easily cut without it exploding into a million pieces so it must be cut to fit BEFORE the Tempering process.

Most cookie cutter automobile glass shops like Safelite do not "make" windshields in their mobile operations, they work from warehouses which are filled with PREMADE Windshields for AUTOMOBILES and most likely IF they were to offer to replace the TRAILER front window it would be through a THIRD PARTY GLASS SHOP and custom ordered which would most likely cost more and take longer to get done and they will simply add a surcharge to the cost to cover their profit.

There ARE custom glass shops that make replacement glass only for home and business windows or custom tempered glass items like shower and tub walls and doors.. Those are the places to seek out and cut out the middleman saving you some money..

ontheroadbob
Explorer
Explorer
The windshield is a laminated 2 layer exactly like a windshield.It is not tempered glass like side glass in a car.It is bonded with urethane adhesive

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
ontheroadbob wrote:
Has anyone had to replace a front windshield on a Flagstaff or Rockwood trailer
About how much does it run and can any automotive glass shop do the job

Automotive "glass shop", no not really, they deal mainly in cookie cutter automobile glass which is prefabbed to the vehicles specifications.

Trailers however if not very old you might be able to get new window from the manufacturer but that is a rather expensive option.

The best option is to find a glass replacement business that handles residential and commercial window glass replacement (not entire window with frame).

Your replacement trailer window must be Tempered glass, the glass replacement shop will measure and cut standard glass to fit, then they will send the glass out to have it Tempered. Once Tempered they will install it in the frame.

Now, if your front window has any bow or bend the glass shop would have to have the glass custom bent to fit the frame then Tempered.

Going this route should not be super expensive provided the glass doe s not need bent and the glass shop will need you to remove frame from trailer and take it to them.

Example, my current TT had a small window glass broken when I bought it, about 2'x4' size cost me $50 to have color matched, cut then Tempered. The glass shop installed it into my frame and I took the frame home and installed myself. Granted that was at least 11 yrs ago and things have gone up in cost but generally will be less expensive than buying from the trailer manufacturer.

As far as trailer manufacturers not putting a cover over the window for traveling, yeah, that is stupid and it was done to cut costs on their end..

There used to be some aftermarket manufacturers that made replacement Rock guards in several sizes, you could do some searching for Rock guards to see if you can find any..

I found THIS place has a Lexan guard for Airsteam which is 24" high x 44" wide. They are showing out of stock at $350..

ALL-RITE manufacturing will custom build a rock guard for you although super expensive at $650 :E

You can find that HERE

If you are handy with some basic metal and fiberglass work, you could make your own rock guard from some aluminum square tubing to make a frame (cut and miter at 45 degrees and uses pop rivets or weld together) and sheet fiberglass known as FRP (Fiberglass reinforced Panels) which is about 1/8" thick and you can find it at Home Depot or Lowes in 4'x8' sheets for around $35.. This is the stuff they use on walls in commercial restrooms and has a rough textured side and a smooth side.. Can be painted so your could decorate it..

Pop rivet the FRP to the aluminum frame.. add hing and some latches and a way to prop it up when not traveling..

Alternate is to use some Lexan instead of FRP but that may be difficult right now to find and will be expensive since these products are in high demand right now because businesses needing protection shields in stores.

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
Anti-vandalism film might be a good option for preventing damage as well. It's used by transit agencies on both vehicles and bus stops, and it's intended to prevent diamond-etching and rock breaks.

Sounds like a good idea, where can it be purchased from?

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Anti-vandalism film might be a good option for preventing damage as well. It's used by transit agencies on both vehicles and bus stops, and it's intended to prevent diamond-etching and rock breaks.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, that's my biggest concern too with the new Rockwood. I checked out that post and it can be replaced, but it ain't gonna be cheap! I like the front decal that one poster put on his. I'm gonna look for something like that too. Thanks,

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer