cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toyota Highlander and 26' Trailer

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I camped side by side with a camper with this set up and got curious as this seems to be a over-matched and a dangerous set up.

Checked my numbers on Google as Highland I recall at most is rated for 5,000 lbs and trailer must be over 5,000lbs or only slightly below dry (a bigger model than my Coleman).

He explained that Toyota towing rating has some 20% allowance -- so technically his towing vehicle's actually 6,000 lbs. capability.

And he said, his trailer had tandem tires each side, so it's a lighter pull than single tire trailer because the weight is resting on the tires -- not the front of the trailer on the hitch.

It's seems logical and can't argue against since he said he is (was?) a Toyota mechanical engineer.

Well, that put me on my spot -- I'm just a pedestrian and a failure numbers game even with my math-oriented family.

Any thoughts -- or contrary opinion from another engineer?
40 REPLIES 40

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Dang forum problems! :M
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Troll post.:(
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Toyota Highlander shows to have a payload of up to 1,530 lbs. The Coleman LT 202RDWE has a hitch weight of 430 lbs (even less with a WDH) so he has 1,100 lbs of capacity left.

The Highlander has a tow rating of 5,000 lbs and the Coleman LT 202RDWE is 4,315 lbs to he is well within spec there even with a little cargo or water in the trailer.

Don't know the GCWR or GAWR, but everything else seems to be in spec. Not sure where the issue is.

Me too, after digging on the numbers.

As I said, I approached him out of the curiosity since I know Highlander has smaller engine than my 4runner and yet he is pulling bigger trailer.

Unlike some "PhD's on towing dynamics" here, I did not intend to scare him shitless and nag him to death on his unsafe set up.

But apparently, he know his numbers.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Toyota Highlander shows to have a payload of up to 1,530 lbs. The Coleman LT 202RDWE has a hitch weight of 430 lbs (even less with a WDH) so he has 1,100 lbs of capacity left.

The Highlander has a tow rating of 5,000 lbs and the Coleman LT 202RDWE is 4,315 lbs to he is well within spec there even with a little cargo or water in the trailer.

Don't know the GCWR or GAWR, but everything else seems to be in spec. Not sure where the issue is.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
What was the actual weight of the trailer(not the guestimated weight)? There are many ultra-light 26 ft trailer well under 5,000 lbs. I know there are several Keystone Passport Express floor plans that are between 25-26 ft and range from 3,500-4700 lbs. My cousin was looking at a few and wanted my opinion on them not too long ago.

I have no way to check now but from recollection, it looks like a Coleman LT 202RDWE with nameplate dry weight of 4,237 lbs.

Hence, with his Highlander rated for 5,000 lbs towing, he got 700 pounds to play around which might mean some weight management like running with empty tanks and leaving his wife and all her stuff behind.

Joking, the wife and 2 kids were with him.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
What was the actual weight of the trailer(not the guestimated weight)? There are many ultra-light 26 ft trailers well under 5,000 lbs. I know there are several Keystone Passport Express floor plans that are between 25-26 ft and range from 3,500-4700 lbs. My cousin was looking at a few and wanted my opinion on them not too long ago.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
It is derived from their mini van platform...just think of towing that with a beefed up Sienna

I wonder myself.

My 4L 4runner tows the same 5,000 lbs as 3.5L Highlander.

And for those with question about those numbers, employees of Japanese manufacturers actually know nameplate capabilities are set lower in our 'ol US of A for abundance of caution for our litigious culture.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Bert Ackerman wrote:

Not everyone is a candyass busy body with a PHD in towing dynamics like some on these boards.

Quote of the month here!

LOL! And I would add hand-wringing, bed-wetting, and panty-bunching to it as well. 😛

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Sadly, there are no laws nor any required weighing of our RV's as there is for the commercial vehicles on the road. We are free to load up our RV's without any regard if we are over weight.

Obviously some of them have not been scared shitless here by the "PhD's in towing dynamics" to borrow @Bert Ackerman 's wit.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Campfire Time wrote:

Actually no, his numbers don't quite add up. The 4,237 lbs is probably either dry weight (which is a fictional number) or "as shipped weight). Either way that's not the actual "ready to camp weight" he is towing..

You could be his lawyer using this argument if something happens to his Highlander and his rig for believing this nameplate numbers.

I'll say the odds of winning the case is zero.

Actually, you seem to be the one convinced by what he told you. I'm not. I really don't care if he's towing something too big for the Highlander. Me, I don't ask people when I see something like this. But you're the one who posted it. Moreover he's pulling the wool over your eyes. You are concluding everything looks good based on what? Numbers you say you are guessing at?

I'm betting he got tired of people asking him so he just made up some stuff up that sounds good.

And you could work on the carni too, knowing what people think. Good job!

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Campfire Time wrote:

Actually no, his numbers don't quite add up. The 4,237 lbs is probably either dry weight (which is a fictional number) or "as shipped weight). Either way that's not the actual "ready to camp weight" he is towing..

You could be his lawyer using this argument if something happens to his Highlander and his rig for believing this nameplate numbers.

Actually, you seem to be the one convinced by what he told you. I'm not. I really don't care if he's towing something too big for the Highlander. Me, I don't ask people when I see something like this. But you're the one who posted it. Moreover he's pulling the wool over your eyes. You are concluding everything looks good based on what? Numbers you say you are guessing at?

I'm betting he got tired of people asking him so he just made up some stuff up that sounds good.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, there are no laws nor any required weighing of our RV's as there is for the commercial vehicles on the road. We are free to load up our RV's without any regard if we are over weight.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

He might be blowing smoke and not a real engineer for all I care, but actually his numbers add up.

As to the tandem axel, I don't know. I'll leave it to those who have one to deny or confirm it. If their RV on flat ground stands by itself without a jack, he might be right -- but still I'm not sweating over it and irrelevant if he got the numbers are correct:

Again, he got a Highlander rated for 5,000 lbs and a trailer weighing 4,237 lbs (I'm guessing). I figure, with some weight management and traveling light, he is in the zone. And he and his family, as one said, made it to the campsite -- all alive and well from the looks of it.

My question to him was in fact was borne out of curiosity. I got a 4runner with 4L engine pulling a smaller trailer than him while he got a Highlander with 3.5L at most.

Actually no, his numbers don't quite add up. The 4,237 lbs is probably either dry weight (which is a fictional number) or "as shipped weight). Either way that's not the actual "ready to camp weight" he is towing. And as you said you are just guessing, so most of this is moot.

Regarding the tandem axle, you already know the answer. Go back to your HS physics.

BTW, I never said he was unsafe or that it was some kind of miracle that he made it to the camp site. I'm sure he was set up safely.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)