cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toyota fake 3/4 ton spotted, overheated

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were on our way out of the Jug Hollow camping site on Flaming gorge a couple of days ago when we ran into a traffic jam on the 5 mile dirt road into the area. A bit unusual.

Turns out some people with a new Toyota p/u one of those that claim to be 3/4 ton, was over heating on the hills (sic) pulling a very big TT. These 'hills' are the usual short ups and downs you find on many gravel roads. A hundred yards of up slope maybe. The driver insisted it was a 3/4 ton when someone suggested getting a real truck. It was a long, at least 35 ft TT tho, even with a real HD p/u he may have been overloaded but not overheated.

he finally managed to pull it forward far enough that p/u's could get by him. They were gone when we returned.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
54 REPLIES 54

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
You'd be surprised how many people neglect their cooling system. With a simple coolant flush, new thermostat, and clean rad fins, very few 1/2 tons would over-heat pulling their rated capacity.

Nothing wrong with the Tundra, reliable. However, SERIOUSLY out of date, and the sales number shows. I remember jumping up and down when the specs were first released in 2006, the 381hp engine and 6 spd crushed every import and domestic competition.

That was 14 long years ago, the Tundra barely changed. Ford when from outdated and underpowered 4.6s and 5.4s with ancient 4 spd autos, to state of the art twin turbo engines making up to 450hp and 10 spd autos. And 3 chassis generations.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

And if they are photos of "Big 3" broken down, sure you will find more of them. You do realize that Toyota has less than 10% market share in that segment, don't you?

This is true. ^^^^^^^

They all make good trucks and they all break down and Parley's Canyon eats trucks.

What kind of maint did those people do to the trucks that are broken down?
Mow many miles did they have on them?

I love truck wars. :B

I just hope that what ever truck you drive its as good to you as mine has been to me.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Marketing nomenclature is, at best, misleading

Know that few will, the rest will continue to use marketing, but the best is the use of it's ratings

GVWR, GCWR, rear GAWR

And best among them is GAWR

A minimum of 6,000 lb rear axle rating is my preference for my TV

A forever circular discussion using marketing's half ton, 3/4 ton, etc...which has their specification in a constant flux...

This seems to capture it. Based on limited experience, my view is that the Tundra / Sequoia is a better-than-average tow vehicle for and within it's ratings. If required to tow in excess of the ratings, I'd feel better about using a Tundra to pull anywhere between 101% to 120% of it's ratings than a similarly rated GM or Ford....I'd feel better with the Tundra, but have towed in that range with Toyota as well as with my GM's and Fords and they didn't catastrophically detonate.

...but for me personally, I wouldn't use any vehicle for towing over ratings for often or for long.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
TTCrewmax wrote:
Pics or it didn't happen. The Tundra may be a 1/2 ton but it's a very capable tow vehicle and has a reliability rating that is second to none. I've included a pic of mine pulling my setup. 12 years later - 140K miles and not a single issue.

Because my Dodge, Ford and Chevy buddies are always pounding their chest I make it a point to take pics of broken down big 3's every time I see them. Most of these are in Parley's canyon.

https://imgur.com/JpxeIfd
https://imgur.com/mCbobMQ
https://imgur.com/isSa4ik
https://imgur.com/oN1zJ6k
https://imgur.com/47YRtW2
https://imgur.com/V4RtURm

None of your photos are visible.

And if they are photos of "Big 3" broken down, sure you will find more of them. You do realize that Toyota has less than 10% marketshare in that segment, don't you?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

TTCrewmax
Explorer
Explorer
Pics or it didn't happen. The Tundra may be a 1/2 ton but it's a very capable tow vehicle and has a reliability rating that is second to none. I've included a pic of mine pulling my setup. 12 years later - 140K miles and not a single issue.

Because my Dodge, Ford and Chevy buddies are always pounding their chest I make it a point to take pics of broken down big 3's every time I see them. Most of these are in Parley's canyon.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Marketing nomenclature is, at best, misleading

Know that few will, the rest will continue to use marketing, but the best is the use of it's ratings

GVWR, GCWR, rear GAWR

And best among them is GAWR

A minimum of 6,000 lb rear axle rating is my preference for my TV

A forever circular discussion using marketing's half ton, 3/4 ton, etc...which has their specification in a constant flux...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The mythology of towing continues.
Don't mess around.
Some people remain averse to American pickups made to tow with.
I was having one of these discussion yesterday.
"We are thinking of buying a 14 foot trailer and pulling it with a RAV 4. Or maybe later a Toyota pickup."

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
CaLBaR wrote:
mudfuel07 wrote:
Lots of speculation in this thread. Contrary to popular belief, the Tundra does have more cooling capacity than a 2L bottle, it's not just home in a mall. I've towed with 3 different Tundras, all my trailers were 35' and over and never had it run hot. Only issue I ever had was a bad battery. If I didn't want to haul my golfcart at the same time, I would still have mine.

Very much agree with your statements. I have towed 32' and 34' without any issues either. For me it was time for a new tow vehicle and we may upgrade to a 5th wheel at some point within the expected life of this truck so that is the only reason I went with with I did. Otherwise would have bought another Tundra and almost did.

I put 30,000 miles on my tundra while pulling 7,000 lbs in the Rockies in BC, then Wa, Ore, Montana, Idaho, and you get the idea. Never had an issue with overheating, or anything else for that matter. Just a bit light for my future plans, that's all. If there was a ¾ ton Tundra, I would have it.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
mudfuel07 wrote:
Lots of speculation in this thread. Contrary to popular belief, the Tundra does have more cooling capacity than a 2L bottle, it's not just home in a mall. I've towed with 3 different Tundras, all my trailers were 35' and over and never had it run hot. Only issue I ever had was a bad battery. If I didn't want to haul my golfcart at the same time, I would still have mine.

Very much agree with your statements. I have towed 32' and 34' without any issues either. For me it was time for a new tow vehicle and we may upgrade to a 5th wheel at some point within the expected life of this truck so that is the only reason I went with with I did. Otherwise would have bought another Tundra and almost did.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
specta wrote:
My friends 1500 Dodge got really really hot climbing up a canyon HWY last week and he's not overloaded.

I'm sure it can happen to anybody regardless of the truck they drive.

Was it a new Tundra??

A new Tundra is a timid species commonly found at the mall, it gets a long well with teens and soccer moms.

It's existents is doing well even though it is heavily preyed upon by dual axle trailers.

It's too bad that you really don't know what you are talking about. The Tundra is a very good tow vehicle and will tow very well up to and even slightly over it's rated specs. Much like the rest of the vehicles that everyone tows with. I suspect that you have never even driven one let alone towed with one. I have and for many 10's of thousands of miles and they are very good tow vehicles right up to the ratings.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah, idk, I’ve been horse whipping half ton trucks for over a quarter century. A lot of them (it’s what you do when the company gives you a F150 and you have F350 work to do). Including 10+ years living in the desert.
Knock on wood, I can’t remember the last time a truck overheated. Betting it was not an inherent weakness but rather an isolated issue.
But people are d!cks. Yesterday I stopped to push a lady’s car out of the road. Does halfway across a 5 lane road. No one helped and a couple people threw their arms up in disgust.
Kids were coming home today in the freedom wagon (our 86 K20) from mtn biking. Truck died, cheapo electric fuel pump gave out...again. One lady actually flipped them off while they were pushing the truck off the road! And 4 Different cops drove by and none stopped....they said.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
specta wrote:
"when someone suggested getting a real truck"

People can be real jerks.

Its not nice to profile but I can only imagine what that putz was driving.

F250, 6” lift with 24” American force brodozer wheels....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:
1320Fastback wrote:
Its hard to haul heavy up hill when you have the thermal capacity of a 2L bottle.

I’m interested in what you mean by this comment.

Just that some smaller trucks don't have the liquid coolant capacity to haul heavy, in hot weather.

Stolen from the net- "Don't overheat it

Vehicles designed for heavy towing that have a towing package from the factory come with a high coolant capacity radiator and sometimes a heavier water pump. When hauling a heavy load on a trailer with a vehicle that is not designed to haul such a load, the engine heats up far beyond the ability of the radiator to cool it down. The result is overheating, blown head gaskets, and cracked or warped cylinder heads. This is not to say that you should never tow a trailer with your vehicle, just find out what the towing capacity is and do not exceed it. On vehicles that tow heavy loads regularly, it’s a good idea to add an auxiliary engine oil cooler to ensure the engine oil in the crankcase is thoroughly cooled, because intense heat causes the oil to break down"

I believe my old tow pig has 7 gallons of coolant in it. I've towed up the 17 mile grade out of the California desert on the way to Las Vegas in 95° air Temps with the AC on. There are 3 water stops along the way for those in need.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
My friends 1500 Dodge got really really hot climbing up a canyon HWY last week and he's not overloaded.

I'm sure it can happen to anybody regardless of the truck they drive.

Was it a new Tundra??

A new Tundra is a timid species commonly found at the mall, it gets a long well with teens and soccer moms.

It's existents is doing well even though it is heavily preyed upon by dual axle trailers.