cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing 6-7000# Trailer with Toyota Tundra

shirleyj62
Explorer
Explorer
I am posting this for my son. He is looking at purchasing a 2017 Toyota Tundra to pull his trailer.

We are looking for feedback from other Toyota owners who pull a >5000# trailer.

Have you modified the suspension in some way? (I.e., air bags, additional springs, etc)

What's the longest drive you've done pulling this trailer? Most trucks can pull a mid-sized trailer a short distance. How did it handle mountains? How did it handle the passing semi's on the interstates? Do you feel comfortable pulling your trailer?

Any additional comments, pros, cons, etc., would be welcome.

We also don't want to get into a Toyota vs Chevy vs Dodge vs Ford debate. We are purely interested in your opinion about the towing capabilities of the Toyota Tundra.

Thank you.
Shirley, David and Lady

2017 Sunseeker 3010 DS
2010 Toyota Yaris (toad)
25 REPLIES 25

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled about 6500 lbs with my old 2007 Tundra 5.7 V8 and it did fine. I loved that truck and would still have it if we had not moved up to a bigger trailer (8500 lbs). Tundras are a close to bullet proof as you can get. Great transmission and rear end, good brakes too.

Only thing I added to the Tundra was Timbrens (do a google search)
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

portablevcb
Explorer
Explorer
We towed our 24ft fiver with a 2006 Tundra. The trailer GVWR is 8400lb but we normally only had 7k lb in it.

Our 2wd crew cab had the highest load capacity of any of the lineup and could handle even the max 1400lb pin weight (which was normally at 11-1200lb). I did put airbags on it since it would bottom out on big bumps without the bags.

We towed over 15k miles on it before I traded it in. Needed a 4wd so decided on the Cummins.

If you tow a lot (10k a year) I usually recommend getting more truck than needed, by a lot. If towing 8k I'd get a truck rated for at least 10k.

But, it you're just going camping on weekends maxing out the truck isn't that big a deal.

charlie
2009 Dodge 2500 Double Cab Cummins
2017 Jayco Eagle 29.5BHOK
Me and Wife
Maggie the Old English Sheepdog

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer is 7400lbs loaded and no issues towing with the Tundra. Have towed to Florida and back to Ontario which is 24 hours of driving about 7 times. Never any issues. As other have said the Tundra is a great TV, with out without towing mirrors. I would not hesitate to use the Tundra for what your son wants to tow. Mine is stock as well just a good weight distribution hitch and sway control.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
Eng208 wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Does the truck come with tow mirrors? If not, probably not designed for towing anyway.

Wow, I guess my 13 2500 Cummins powered Ram isn't built for towing either since the tow mirrors were an option.....
Mine also, RAM 1500, no tow mirrors even though it came with integrated brake controller and factory receiver... I guess it wasn't designed to tow my 2700# TT..
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

Eng208
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Does the truck come with tow mirrors? If not, probably not designed for towing anyway.

Wow, I guess my 13 2500 Cummins powered Ram isn't built for towing either since the tow mirrors were an option.....
97 Dodge 2500 Ext Cab 4X4 CTD with Goerend Transmission mod.(GVWR 8800lbs, or 4000 Kg)
95 Four Winds Fifth Wheel
99 Toyota Fourrunner V6

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
We put 50k on a 2012 5.7 Tundra we purchased new. The '12 has almost the identical engine/tranny/suspension as the '13-'16 5.7---not sure if they made any changes for '17.

Used the Tundra to tow a 7k (CAT scaled, loaded) bumper-pull toy hauler on a 5,000 mile, cross-country trip, several times. The Tundra was within 100 lbs. of its maximum payload towing the above rig (CAT scaled). On smooth roads the suspension was fine. On rough, interstate expansion joints (i.e., I10/I12 in Louisiana) the suspension would bottom-out occasionally. 8-9 MPG's (hand calculated) at 60 MPH. It had decent power, handled good, but it wasn't the effortless tow experience that others have described.

FWIW, if you plan to tow more than 5k with a Tundra, I would highly recommend purchasing the 5.7 V8. The smaller 4.6 V8 is much less capable in terms of HP, torque, and tow capacity.

Good luck!

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oldcow wrote:
fasteddie wrote:
I had an 08 Tundra sr5 crew cab with the 5.7 and towed a 7500lb trailer. It did great with the weight and pulled fine, like everyone has said the payload was the Tundra's achilies heel, with the family and all the normal camping stuff we were over payload otherwise it was a great truck and I enjoyed it, wish they would make a heavy duty payload pkg for it. My Ram 2500 has twice the payload and it is nice not to have to worry about it anymore but I do miss the Tundra.

X2

Oldcow

I'll echo that... X3
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Oldcow
Explorer
Explorer
fasteddie wrote:
I had an 08 Tundra sr5 crew cab with the 5.7 and towed a 7500lb trailer. It did great with the weight and pulled fine, like everyone has said the payload was the Tundra's achilies heel, with the family and all the normal camping stuff we were over payload otherwise it was a great truck and I enjoyed it, wish they would make a heavy duty payload pkg for it. My Ram 2500 has twice the payload and it is nice not to have to worry about it anymore but I do miss the Tundra.

X2

Oldcow
2013 Outback 300RB TT
2010 Tundra

fasteddie
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
2012 Jayco White Hawk 31dslb

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:

I had the optional towing mirrors on my 07 Tundra.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
travelnman wrote:
I talked to a experienced retired 70 years young guy who had been towing way
before retiring and had three pickups before his Toyota. Was loyal to one
manufacturer for his whole life until he started camping. Then the problems
started, he said he lost three transmissions towing all but one was covered
under warranty but he was in numerous awkward situations and got fed up bought
a Toyota on the recommendation of others. He said that was the
end of his problems but regretted not buying American made, it was only out of
endless frustrations that he bought a Tundra. He was pulling a 31 foot Heritage
Glen TT. That was enough for me nothing like a brake down on a mountain road
with warning signs to check your brakes and run away off ramps. With Semi's
smoking their brakes using engine braking it must be a thrill to lose a transmission.

Loved my 07 Tundra and never heard of anyone with trans problems. It's probably the best trans in any 1/2 ton IMO. Sold it at 109,000 miles and never had a single repair. Best truck I ever owned.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
shirleyj62 wrote:
I am posting this for my son. He is looking at purchasing a 2017 Toyota Tundra to pull his trailer.

We are looking for feedback from other Toyota owners who pull a >5000# trailer.

Have you modified the suspension in some way? (I.e., air bags, additional springs, etc)

What's the longest drive you've done pulling this trailer? Most trucks can pull a mid-sized trailer a short distance. How did it handle mountains? How did it handle the passing semi's on the interstates? Do you feel comfortable pulling your trailer?

Any additional comments, pros, cons, etc., would be welcome.

We also don't want to get into a Toyota vs Chevy vs Dodge vs Ford debate. We are purely interested in your opinion about the towing capabilities of the Toyota Tundra.

Thank you.

I pulled about 8500 lbs with my 2007 5.7L Tundra. Only thing I added was Timbrens. Bullet Proof truck BTW and I really came to appreciate how well it towed after moving up to the new Cummins in my sig.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 CM SR5 4x4. We tow a 32' travel trailer weighing about 9500 loaded to camp. I average about 7-8 mpg's with it, but I have the 38 gallon tank so no worries. I did add a weight distribution hitch, but other than that, haven't added anything. I already had dual sway bars from my previous Ford F250, so I'm sure that helps as well. Our longest trip to date is about 3.5 hours. Truck pulls it very well and haven't had an issue. It's nice to know that all I have to do is get in and drive, no worrying about will it make it there.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Tundra is made in San Antonio TX U S A