cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow Vehicle rating and comfort

jeraco
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All! I'm having trouble deciphering the towing capacity of my truck.

Vehicle stats:
2016 Ford F-150 4x4 SuperCrew
3.5L V-6 EcoBoost
3.3 Axle ratio
GCWR 16100#
Conv. towing trailer cap 10,600#

Would my truck tow a UVW 5000# (6800# GVWR) trailer comfortably? I'm new to RVing and looking to purchase my first. I want to be comfortable towing i.e.having acceleration power and ability to get up inclines. If not, what kind of power should I be looking to get?

I look forward to your input! Thanks-j
28 REPLIES 28

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@drsteve. Side ramps onto a atv/sled deck. Drive up.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
jeraco wrote:
Hi All! I'm having trouble deciphering the towing capacity of my truck.

Vehicle stats:
2016 Ford F-150 4x4 SuperCrew
3.5L V-6 EcoBoost
3.3 Axle ratio
GCWR 16100#
Conv. towing trailer cap 10,600#

Would my truck tow a UVW 5000# (6800# GVWR) trailer comfortably? I'm new to RVing and looking to purchase my first. I want to be comfortable towing i.e.having acceleration power and ability to get up inclines. If not, what kind of power should I be looking to get?

I look forward to your input! Thanks-j

You will be fine, unless you put a huge amount of heavy stuff in the bed of the truck. That Ecoboost is a towing beast.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
afidel wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
All I could afford wrote:
It is possible to fill a F150 with 5 people, bikes, and food enough that you effectively have zero tow capacity because you have no capacity for the tongue weight
It is possible for me to do that with my 1 ton dually as well.

What, by loading the bed with pallets of water?
Take a look at my profile picture. If you still have any questions... Post them up.

I never noticed the quads in the bed until I enlarged the pic. Nice! I assume that's a hydraulic lift setup? How much weight does it add to the truck?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
It is possible to fill a F150 with 5 people, bikes, and food enough that you effectively have zero tow capacity because you have no capacity for the tongue weight

Take a look at my profile picture. If you still have any questions... Post them up.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Short answer: no problem.
IMHO, that size TT is in the "sweet spot" weight-wise for towing with your truck. As others have mentioned, just watch your tongue weight and truck loading not to exceed your CCC or RAWR.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes an F150 with a 10,000+ tow capacity rating should be very comfortable towing a RV travel trailer with 6,800 GVWR.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Payload is king, since it takes the whole vehicle into consideration, not just individual components. One could put a huge rear axle under a Ranger and still be limited in towing capacity to the whole vehicle. My buddy put a F-350 rear axle under his F-150. It lived about six months after he loaded it to rear axle capacity.

Everyone has their personal preferences. When I tow 7,000 pound trailers, I want a 2500 series pickup. I like staying under 6,000 pounds with a half ton. I am more comfortable at fifty percent of capacity rather than ninety percent. That's what works for "me".

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
welcome to the forum jeraco.
The 3.5 EB engine and 3.31 gears and the 6 speed tranny will have no problems pulling that trailer.
The number you have to watch is that small 3800 RAWR Ford uses with the 6800 gvwr package. RAWR can be the lessor rating of a tire...wheel...rear spring pack....rear axle. With this trucks 6800 gvwr and 3800 rawr numbers its rear spring pack.
You have the truck so drop by a set of scales and weigh the trucks front and rear axles. This will tell you to the lb how much weigh will be in the bed and on the back of the truck. (example) Your trucks rear axle may weigh in the 2400 lb range which leaves around 1400 lb payload on the rear axle.
These numbers along with a weight distributing hitch mfg instructions can also help in setting up the WD hitch and dialing it in.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer

In that case, buy an F250.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Or in other words, unless you and 4 passengers are all 300lbers and actually ride bikes too, you'll still be totally fine...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
K_and_I wrote:
The 2 issues I did have were the unsettled feeling when a big truck went by (you can overcome that if you anticipate the truck coming), a

"E" load truck tires made a huge difference on my f150 with passing semi's.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles