cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow Vehicle rating and comfort

jeraco
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All! I'm having trouble deciphering the towing capacity of my truck.

Vehicle stats:
2016 Ford F-150 4x4 SuperCrew
3.5L V-6 EcoBoost
3.3 Axle ratio
GCWR 16100#
Conv. towing trailer cap 10,600#

Would my truck tow a UVW 5000# (6800# GVWR) trailer comfortably? I'm new to RVing and looking to purchase my first. I want to be comfortable towing i.e.having acceleration power and ability to get up inclines. If not, what kind of power should I be looking to get?

I look forward to your input! Thanks-j
28 REPLIES 28

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Get the truck setup properly with a good weight distribution hitch like a Blue Ox or Equalizer thats got built in sway control and you'll be good to go. You've got plenty of truck for that size trailer.

jeraco
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the truck would handle it pretty well. My back-of-the-napkin calculation for extra weight is 1750# (people and dogs, 60g water, and stuff (including my battery and propane). That's using 62% of my tow capacity... Does the GCWR assume a full tank of gas, or do I need to add that in too? (eyes roll to back of head)

Thanks everyone for the great info and input!

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2013 F150 with Eco pulling a 6800 pound trailer for several years. Power will not be an issue for you. I weighed my combo set up for camping, and found I was 500 pounds over rear axle weight. You shouldn't have that issue as your trailer weight is less, unless you really load up the truck bed. The 2 issues I did have were the unsettled feeling when a big truck went by (you can overcome that if you anticipate the truck coming), and during my semi-annual crawl under the truck to inspect the hitch, I found the receiver was splitting out- it was already about half way back. I got it welded and reinforced, but as I was ready to get another truck (for other reasons), I went with an F250 this time.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Short answer. Yes, you can. But, I will mirror the comments about payload capacity. I tow my trailer with a Tundra. My GVWR on the trailer is something like 7200 and I regularly go down the road with about 6500 as a trailer weight. I have stopped and measured this a few times.
The Tundra is rated to two 10K but..at this is the challenge with all half tons, it only has a payload of 1700. With my WD hitch I will drop very close to 900 pounds on the ball, the two of us come in about 350 which doesn't leave much room to pack things into the bed. I am find with axle loads and GCVW numbers. The Tundra tows nicely and it has plenty of power to handle mountain passes.
I have heard a lot of positive things about the Eco Boost engines. Watch your payload and you should be good to go.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm a little under that, and that engine does wonderfully well. Depending on what tires you have, when it's time to replace them, go with "E" capacity tires. That made a noticeable improvement in my towing stability.

Get a good weight distribution hitch. I bought an R3, and knowing what I know today, I'd step up to the R6.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
There's another set of numbers you need to loom at - payload and rear axle weight rating. Both can be found on drivers side door jamb stickers. And does the truck have the standard tow package, or the max tow option? Do you have a brake controller?
Are you looking at a bunkhouse trailer? Since it's a crew cab, how many people are you hauling and how much stuff goes in the truck bed?

By the way, I had a 3.5 EB F150 and just traded it on a F250.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty of power to pull it, but as said earlier, all weight in the cab and bed of the truck will reduce the amount of capacity to accommodate the trailer tongue weight. 13 percent of 5,000 pounds means about 650 pounds on the ball. Also importaint is how weight is distributed in the trailer. Avoid putting heavy item in the rear.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Assuming you don't exceed the truck payload, it should be fine. (ie: if you have 1000lb of firewood in the bed, you might be over capacity once you add crew and hitch weight).

I wouldn't worry about the rear end ratio. With the 6 speed transmission, you have enough gears to compensate (far different from the good old days of 3 speed transmissions). It's the overall gear ratio that counts...from crank shaft to drive wheel. Plus with the 3.5 ecoboost, you have a ton of torque even at low RPM.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's essentially the same weight trailer I've now got. I towed a #5000 GVWR TT before this one (I bought the truck new in early 2014).

I've towed the #7000 TT twice, over a pass or two and on the flats in the summer heat and found I needed to watch my temps a bit more. I have a ODBII phone app to monitor a ton more sensors than the dash idiot lights.

On the second trip, I filled up with Premium fuel a tank before the tow and locked out 6th gear and found I ran cooler because I was not into the boost as much just to go level in 6th..

In other words, I would pull more rpms at a given speen, but the boost was less, so less heat and actually better mpg overall.

I towed the old #5000 TT with a 97 F150 for 13 years, and felt it was a good match, but wouldn't want to tow anymore.

I don't want to tow anymore with the 13 now either. Just what I've learned to be comfortable with to enjoy the tow.. Not just get there with the heaviest and biggest trailer in the park! ha, ha..

In the end, no one can tell you what will be comfortable for you.. I'd say you are well within the specs of the truck and the rest will be what your butt tells you! 🙂

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Power won't be an issue. Modern trucks have horsepower to spare. You'll be fine with that combo.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ditto.
I wouldn’t be the least bit concerned with anything in the size/weight of trailer you’re considering.
Have a couple friends who pull larger TTs with that general era of Eco Boosts , almost exclusively in Colorado without complaints.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Your propossed setup falls nicely into what most would recommend.
Generally a 1/2 ton can tow a 7K TT... Going over that means a more detailed look at just how the 1/2 ton is configured.

Of course, this assumes normal loading and usage.

Have fun with your new camper!
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You left out two numbers....payload and transmission gears.

I’m very happy with a 3.23 rear end and eight speed transmission pulling 5200 pounds. Much better than my 2015 Tahoe with a 3.42. Engines are nearly identical. 1712 pounds of payload isn’t a bunch but sufficient.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of towing capacity depends on how much you put in the tow vehicle ! If you have 4 college football line men (300+ lb each) and a ATV in the bed with 20 gallons of extra fuel, your capacity will be greatly reduced.

You are well within the specs (again depending on vehicle loading), but my gut says you would be much happier if you had the 3.55 or 3.73 axle. Expensive on a 4x4 because you need to change both front and rear.