cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torklift Stableloads with Snow chains

jamesinkster
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at installing some torklift stableloads (lower only) on my 2004 F350.
I've read in an online amazon review that they can interfere with snow-chains.

Does that make sense? Has anyone experienced that?

Unfortunately, there are times I'm legally required to chain-up...
10 REPLIES 10

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry auto socks which satisfy the regulation of carrying chains. I suspect they would work with the Stable loads (or at least if they caught the stable loads there wouldn't be any damage).

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
jamesinkster wrote:
Ok, thanks guys.

Soup -- there are places we go skiing (in the US) where on a big snow day there'll be a sheriff sitting below the climb checking that you have chains installed before letting you pass.
Likewise, there are several other places here in BC where we go skiing and although not a legal requirement, there'd be very little chance of us making it up the logging road access without chains.

Learn something new every day.
Only time I eve use chains is when going snowmobiling in the spring on muddy logging roads.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

jamesinkster
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, Ukee is great. Definitely getting busy, though. Year round!

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
jamesinkster wrote:
Ok, thanks guys.

Soup -- there are places we go skiing (in the US) where on a big snow day there'll be a sheriff sitting below the climb checking that you have chains installed before letting you pass.
Likewise, there are several other places here in BC where we go skiing and although not a legal requirement, there'd be very little chance of us making it up the logging road access without chains.

How's Ucluelet these days?! I used to live there (81/82) but moved back to Port in 82.
2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
In California where I am

Chain Requirement Levels
During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:

Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires1 on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices2 are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
NOTE: (Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Bedlam
Many of the mountain passes in WA and OR require you carry chains between November and March even if you have 4wd.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jamesinkster
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thanks guys.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Why are you legally required to carry chains.....? I’m from BC as well and winter tires are all that is required for non commercial vehicals.
Are you traveling on logging roads where you should have chains, but aren’t required by law?
I agree.... I’m looking at my truck right now ( which has torklift on) and only a broken, or loose fitting chain will effect the Torklift

Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Bedlam
You can mount the StableLoads with the pivot inboard if you are running high profile chains or wider tires. My low profile chains cleared my F250 with them normally installed.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
just looked at my dually which has the lowers. In the not engaged position a loose end of a chain could catch. less chance chance if its engaged. I don't see how a proper fitting set of chains(one without loose links to the rear side) could catch on it if I had a chain on the inner tire. It could depend on how wide a set of tires you run, mine are 265/70R17 and I have 3 fingers of clearance from the edge of the tire to the edge of the stableload
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags