cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tongue Jack

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
My tongue jack only works when connected to shore power or when fully hooked up to truck. I thought the battery might be the problem but had it tested - tested good. Any ideas of where to look?
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150
6 REPLIES 6

bob2194
Explorer
Explorer
I had that problem, its a bad ground. make sure where the ground wire is is on bare metal, scrape the paint and use a star washer to help make the ground better,The reason it works connected to the vehicle is the ball is a good ground and when using shore power you are using a different ground. hope they helps.
20 year U.S Army veteran and still serving. Vehicle inspector (ARMY)
2018 Radiance 28QB pulled by 2018 F250 STX 6.2 Gasser
Equal-i-zer Hitch

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my older jack, the ground was thru the bolts to the frame.. That was the jack that didn't work that one time for me.

I've since replaced that jack with a new one (the old one finally just broke in the gear box) and the new one has it's own ground wire directly to the battery.

Dunno what else to suggest since you seem to have a different issue than I did with my old jack.

Again, good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
If I blew a fuse, it would not work at all, correct? I totally removed the battery to have it tested and make sure it was charged. The nuts are clean and tight. I will have to look but I dont recall a ground wire - I think the bolts to the frame may be the ground - not sure though
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the battery connections on the battery.. Make sure you hit them with a wire brush and re-connect.

Happened to me one time when I was leaving a site. Didn't mess with it at the time and plugging into the truck solved it, but when I got home, trouble shooted it a bit more and after cleaning the connections on the battery, it was all good again..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure it has a good ground.
Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab Express 4X4 5.7 Hemi 3.92
2021 Coachmen Spirit Ultra Lite 2557RB

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
More than likely you blew the fuse to the jack. If you find yourself blowing that fuse often, replace the fuse with a breaker.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran