cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet Overflow

sundance_8
Explorer
Explorer
What a mess. We use our travel trailer at our recreational property primarily for the fridge, restroom and microwave.
Well this past weekend we had our annual family picnic with about 50 people. Had the water system set for city water and hooked to my well pump. At the end of the day one of the kids runs out of the trailer and says the toilet is overflowing.
Long story short, evidently the city water inlet allows incoming water to run into the gray tank, when that filled then it filled the black tank and kept pumping water up thru the toilet when it was flushed.
Fortunately most of the water that dumped on the floor was fresh.
This trailer was bought used for this season so no history available.
Any suggestions on causes or fixes?
www.threedogsandus.com
27 REPLIES 27

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
budwich wrote:
your likely issue is a "black water tank cleanout flush" system installed somewhere and turned on / broken valve.... OR a broken toilet valve / wand.

^^^^^ this.

This would have been my guess... but the OP reported not the case..

Tiger8r
Explorer
Explorer
Flush the toilet then watch and see if the water quits running when you release the flush lever. If it doesn't then the seal in the valve is bad. If it does quit then my guess is wrong.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
realebill wrote:
you sure your fresh water supply isn't hooked to a black tank rinser instead of fresh water inlet ?
That diagnosis matches the symptoms exactly.

"No black tank flush on this model. I'm pretty sure now that it was a 10 lb in a 5 lb sack issue. "

OP said that a few posts up.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
realebill wrote:
you sure your fresh water supply isn't hooked to a black tank rinser instead of fresh water inlet ?
That diagnosis matches the symptoms exactly.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will be interested to see if a plumbing or water routing issue is identified, but I highly doubt that is it. 50 people using the various facilities, and logically at least half or more may not have a clue how to use RV toilets to me is the culprit.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I had the flush leaver on my toilet stick in the on position. The water continue to run into the toilet. I was not connected to city warter -- on the pump and hear the pump to continue to run after using the toilet.

Shut the pump off, a little grease on the flush leaver and a cut-off value on the toilet inlet.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Being it was a used trailer, who knows what, if any alterations, to the plumbing system the original owner made?

Naturally without hands on investigating, everyone is offering their best guesses as to what the problem really is. It really shouldn't be that hard to figure out through the process of elimination. :@

sundance_8
Explorer
Explorer
rekoj71 wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
Are you certain the water connection was the potable connection and not the black tank flush?

This is what I'm wondering. In 96 I'm not sure if the tank flushers were standard like they are on some RV's now, but one could have been added.

Are you sure that your hose is connected to the city water inlet and not to a black tank flush. If the black tank flush is left on too long and the black tank handle closed the black tank is filling up. It's a common practice when someone wants to get the tank really clean, but it can backfire if they forget and overfill the tank and then the mess happens just like you describe.

You may have still had water pressure at the sinks if you had water in your fresh tank and were running the RV's water pump.

No black tank flush on this model. I'm pretty sure now that it was a 10 lb in a 5 lb sack issue.:S
www.threedogsandus.com

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Are you certain the water connection was the potable connection and not the black tank flush?

This is what I'm wondering. In 96 I'm not sure if the tank flushers were standard like they are on some RV's now, but one could have been added.

Are you sure that your hose is connected to the city water inlet and not to a black tank flush. If the black tank flush is left on too long and the black tank handle closed the black tank is filling up. It's a common practice when someone wants to get the tank really clean, but it can backfire if they forget and overfill the tank and then the mess happens just like you describe.

You may have still had water pressure at the sinks if you had water in your fresh tank and were running the RV's water pump.

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:
I'm betting black water got filled up. Last person using it filled it so full that the toilet valve hung open because of blockage. That is why your water quit overflowing when the water supply was cut off.

X2
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
I'm betting black water got filled up. Last person using it filled it so full that the toilet valve hung open because of blockage. That is why your water quit overflowing when the water supply was cut off.

Friend of mine went through same thing when his girlfriend's daughter made a pyramid of doom below the toilet. Flush valve hung open due to TP blockage. Just like that, instant waterfall in the bathroom.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

realebill
Explorer
Explorer
2006 gmc sierra 1500,not used as TV
2008 rockwood 8315SS sig. ultralite
2004 carolina skiff J16
2 50cc retro mopeds

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
sundance_8 wrote:
What a mess. We use our travel trailer at our recreational property primarily for the fridge, restroom and microwave.
Well this past weekend we had our annual

family picnic with about 50 people.

Had the water system set for city water and hooked to my well pump. At the end of the day one of the kids runs out of the trailer and says the toilet is overflowing.
Long story short, evidently the city water inlet allows incoming water to run into the gray tank, when that filled then it filled the black tank and kept pumping water up thru the toilet when it was flushed.
Fortunately most of the water that dumped on the floor was fresh.
This trailer was bought used for this season so no history available.
Any suggestions on causes or fixes?

'Water inlet' does NOT feed any holding tanks.

Unless the foot pedal on the toilet is stuck in the open position and allowing water to enter your toilet all the time there is no way fresh water can get into your black tank.

Many RV's do have the bathroom sink dump into the black tank. So if "50" people are brushing teeth and/or washing hands all day THAT water also goes into the black tank making the black tank fill up even faster.

50 people using your RV and toilet and bathroom sink!? :E

I'd say you have a very very full black tank.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.