cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To buy used or new?

Camper76
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at 2015 prowler lynx 30lx or 2018 jayco jayflight slx. Not sure if it's worth buying used or new? Need a little help
24 REPLIES 24

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought used for 30 years. Bought new in January. There are positives and negatives to both-ish. In theory, used is cheaper. We started looking this time at used and for what we really wanted new was a better option. There's no perfect. I wanted something we could pull with the Suburban. My wife wanted a slideout. We both wanted something in the 26 - 28 foot range. We both wanted something that didn't need any repairs. I wanted new tires, central heat and air, a new roof, two axles, a nice sized bathroom. What we got tows really well never had any sway issues. The only down side with the trailer vs. the motorhome is speed. I keep the speed down while towing, 60-65. In the motorhome if I had a lot of miles to go in a day I felt comfortable running 70-75 all day, or more felt OK. If you buy used pay attention to the tires and wheel bearings.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
In answer to the OP's inquiry, I believe the board has provided a number of opinions for consideration.

Luck and timing being the biggest variables. New or used may be an matter of need and availability.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
actually when you send a dollars it like trump spending 5K or so.. but I digress..

Sometime buying new is a "better" deal when a 2-3 yr old used especially like now when new car/truck sales are stale and dealers are discounting, heavy discounting, to move stock. Best time to buy is end of month and when the new vehicles are coming on line as the older ones (2017's) get better incentives from factory to dealer.

I my area, raleigh nc, local car dealers are knocking 15K off new f-150 loaded trucks to move them.. That is strong plus with good financing at local credit union of like 1.9% it a no brainer. You might be a extended warranty by ford thrown in a well or for cheap 1K to $1500 for protection to 100K miles or 10 yrs. depending on current warranty profile.

ON rv's the opposites true.. My guess is the margin on new is 25% more or less so I buying new do it late in the sales cycle, nov-dec, and come in 35% below price as a starting point. On many airstream, and they aint cheap, figure 25% off MSPR many going for 20% off which can still be 85K.

I bought a 2005 AS for 33K last year on a 55K MPRP unit. could sell it now for at least 40K. You wont see that on many other RV's in my opinion.

aftermath wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:

IMHO: Buying new is for folks with way too much money... and doing the former will often cure the latter.

...:B

This is a GREAT statement and I agree with it....sort of.

Buying used is the best way provided all the stars line up. Lots of "ifs" in there. If you can find one you want, if you can settle for something that is close to what you want, if you don't have to drive to the other side of the continent to get it, if it is in good shape, and if you know how to fix things and if you don't mind fixing things. Someone has already posted that he can't find a good one in his area. If you are willing to get a 5 or 6 year old trailer that will probably need new tires and batteries go for it. I did and it took some effort to bring things up to standards. I am still discovering issues because of the neglect from the PO.

I just purchased a new truck. Not the best idea financially, or is it? I could not find a gently used truck that I was looking for. Lots of other brands out there but I was not interested. I did not want to buy someone else's problem. Buying a new truck and driving it until the wheels fall off will usually save you money over buying a "new" used care every few years and fixing all the problems.

Like in every situation, only you know what you want. Buy new if you want to as long as you can afford it. Going deep into debt for a recreational vehicle is scary. But then, when I spend $500 it is like Trump spending a buck. It is all relative.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain wrote:

IMHO: Buying new is for folks with way too much money... and doing the former will often cure the latter.

...:B

This is a GREAT statement and I agree with it....sort of.

Buying used is the best way provided all the stars line up. Lots of "ifs" in there. If you can find one you want, if you can settle for something that is close to what you want, if you don't have to drive to the other side of the continent to get it, if it is in good shape, and if you know how to fix things and if you don't mind fixing things. Someone has already posted that he can't find a good one in his area. If you are willing to get a 5 or 6 year old trailer that will probably need new tires and batteries go for it. I did and it took some effort to bring things up to standards. I am still discovering issues because of the neglect from the PO.

I just purchased a new truck. Not the best idea financially, or is it? I could not find a gently used truck that I was looking for. Lots of other brands out there but I was not interested. I did not want to buy someone else's problem. Buying a new truck and driving it until the wheels fall off will usually save you money over buying a "new" used care every few years and fixing all the problems.

Like in every situation, only you know what you want. Buy new if you want to as long as you can afford it. Going deep into debt for a recreational vehicle is scary. But then, when I spend $500 it is like Trump spending a buck. It is all relative.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Stovepipe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going through this right now after researching and planning for about 4 years. Just sold my pop-up and really would prefer to buy slightly used (2-3 years old). The problem is, there seems to be a shortage of used campers in general in my area (East TN). Typically dealers have many to choose from. I don't know what is causing the drought. I may have to wait a bit and save some additional money for a new one or start entertaining used options farther away.
2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
2015 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi 4x4 CC

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
In my case, for the truck it was what was out there. I had been in a crash in my 2014 that totaled it, and needed a replacement right away. Since it was a total, the insurance was only paying for 5 days of rental, which left me with 2 days to find a truck. I got the closest thing I could find as to what I had, which actually cost more because it was a 502a, there weren't any 501a with a tow package and 36 gallon tank.

Of course, two weeks later I did see a perfect replacement truck, used, that had what I needed, but by then, too late.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
A/C-D/C...yup, I go both ways..........when it comes to buying. Bought our trailer new........hurt!....$28,000.00 out the door. Bought our pickup used w/ 10,000 miles...that hurt at $55,000.00 out the door. There is always a better chance of me buying a trailer new than a truck..........new truck prices are just ridiculous! I really think it completely depends on your needs, finances and what is out there.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought mine, it was a used 2 YO unit, but in new condition, the only thing it needed work on was the seat back for the dinette was a bit loose. I compared it to an exact model that was brand new, and with a price difference of $3,000, I asked, why would I not buy new? The saleman was quite honest, because there is also a $3,000 shipping and prep fee.

If you can find a nice used unit, it can save quite a bit in new fees and such, but buying new also means, you are the first to use it, and that can mean a lot too. I have bought a few used cars, and had too many issues, so started buying new, and haven't looked back. The downside is, if the new vehicle isn't up to par, your kind of stuck with it unless you want to lose a ton of cash.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Would you buy a truck or car new or used, dealer or private party?

It is much the same thing with a TT except there are far more things to go wrong.

A dealer is going to make money on the sale but you usually get some sort limited warranty. Our agreement with the dealer was the WD hitch, wiring and anything else needed for us to get in and go, would be set up and completed during the walk through. We bought a 3 year old TT so the walk through included a demonstration that everything was working and how to use them properly.

A private party can be cheaper, but it is a done deal once you tow it away.

Besides the steep depreciation, lately new TTs have not been without their problems. However, most of these are covered by a factory warranty.

My personal choice was to buy used and expect brakes and other maintenance items sooner than with a new TT.

Good Luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Camper76
Explorer
Explorer
Ok went to Hershey show and went with a new one.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Something else to think about ... if someone has a GOOD camper, they are going to hang on to them until they become dissatisfied with it because of a floor plan that no longer works, they can't keep up the loan payment for whatever reason, the unit is defective and they want to dump it, or they've simply worn it out. Very rarely do you bump into the little old lady that only took the camper out one time on a Sunday scenario. Buying used, means someone else rejected it for some reason. (Just something to think about if you decide to look at used. Ask, why does the previous owner no longer want this camper?)

- Newbies who didn't know what they were getting into.
- Oops, we had another kid, time for a bigger unit.
- I get a new one every 2 yrs.
- I bought it 10yrs ago used it once and it's never left the pole barn since then.

Actually with an RV, the little old lady scenario is very common. The only thing to be careful of is they didn't leave it outside and not keep up on the roof sealing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fairfaxjim
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer the "Lightly Used" approach.

Purchased pop-up less than one year old from a guy who selected for his desires, but wife and kids didn't come around to his way of thought. Savings was OK, rig was in Pristine condition, his wife was a clean freak.

Moved up to TT with a very lightly used 18CK floorplan that was literally purchased from a "little old lady in Pasadena!"

I have to clarify that I know exactly what I want when I buy & I am heavily into mods and upgrades. Many cite warranty as a factor, and it can be a big one. I have been lucky with no major component failures (I did have to replace TT axles, but that was my doing that bent them.) My fellow campers have had mixed, at best, experience with warranty repairs on some pretty expensive new rigs.
Jim & JoAnne
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD Double Cab
2004 Starcraft 11RT (Replaced by)
2011 Eclipse Milan 18CK Travel Trailer

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Something else to think about ... if someone has a GOOD camper, they are going to hang on to them until they become dissatisfied with it because of a floor plan that no longer works, they can't keep up the loan payment for whatever reason, the unit is defective and they want to dump it, or they've simply worn it out. Very rarely do you bump into the little old lady that only took the camper out one time on a Sunday scenario. Buying used, means someone else rejected it for some reason. (Just something to think about if you decide to look at used. Ask, why does the previous owner no longer want this camper?)

On the other hand...

Many, many first time buyers buy the wrong rig. High-pressure salesmen love first time buyers as they can be told and sold almost anything.... Sure your half ton pick up can pull this 36' fiver, that 40' Class A will fit anywhere, You don't need no stinking weight distribution set up... etc., etc.. :B

Add to this the fact that many first time buyers simply don't know what they want, need and what will work well for them. It is not their fault as no one is born with this knowledge. All the more reason to buy used especially the first time but I digress... The net result is that there are lots of excellent, very clean low mileage RV's out there that have nothing wrong with them other than the simple fact that they did not fit their first owners needs.

I considered buying new, a virtual custom build from Nexus when I found that exact same coach at La Mesa RV right here in Tucson with 6,205 miles on it in mint condition with every bell and whistle I was seeking. The sellers bought the wrong coach {in this case a 24' Class C}, and they traded it in on a 36' Class A. They got what they wanted {though they took the big depreciation hit twice}, and I got exactly what I wanted for $18,000 less than a new one... 4 years and 39,000+ trouble free miles later I could not be happier.

:C

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Buying used means someone else paid a premium - however buying used requires you to be more knowledgeable about the product your buying. If your a newbie then bring along someone who is familiar with RV's or hire someone who can inspect the rig. Even an experienced RVer might have the rig pressure tested to insure that it doesn't leak.
Kevin