14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
42 REPLIES 42

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is hard to justify a big advertising budget for a project that is already losing money. I do remember some adds when they came out with the 100,000 mile warranty but at the rate I am driving Ford's 5 year 60,000 mile warranty is just as good.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
The Japanese mfg.in general are very conservative regarding innovation. Its all about rugged reliability.

With 8/10 speeds, turbos,air suspension,diesels from the big 3, they are falling behind. Reliability, long term ownership,for 300k miles?

If Nissan were smart, market the gas XD for its value, 5 yr 100k warranty.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
This helps explain why the 5.0 Cummins is being discontinued:

Pickups most likely to be sold in the first year

Even the text is part of the picture so I can't cut and paste but the most traded truck in the first year is the Titan XD at over twice the average rate. Nissan also has the 2nd and 3rd most traded trucks.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
gregrc75 wrote:

But, with this announcement I am wondering what the future holds for service and resale. I am wondering if I should trade out. Too bad because I am very pleased with the truck.

No matter what, depreciation has already happened at its fastest rate, so you gain little by ditching it now. Especially since other folks might be thinking the same thing, so there is likely to to be a sudden glut of these trucks in the auction systems, which will cause a temporary corresponding resale correction, above what you'd see solely from a model being discontinued. Once that supply runs down, depreciation should normalize. And, some vehicles become more desirable after production ends, like E-series vans, where good condition models with the V10 are going UP in resale price!

I agree that right now is probably the worst time to sell it. The value will probably stay low until Nissan is out of new ones then there may be some recovery, or at least flat for a while.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at gas models and interesting numbers.2018 king cab 4x4. Approx 2500 lbs payload. 11k towing. 5yr 100k bumper to bumper. Both sv packages.

37.5k.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
gregrc75 wrote:

But, with this announcement I am wondering what the future holds for service and resale. I am wondering if I should trade out. Too bad because I am very pleased with the truck.

No matter what, depreciation has already happened at its fastest rate, so you gain little by ditching it now. Especially since other folks might be thinking the same thing, so there is likely to to be a sudden glut of these trucks in the auction systems, which will cause a temporary corresponding resale correction, above what you'd see solely from a model being discontinued. Once that supply runs down, depreciation should normalize. And, some vehicles become more desirable after production ends, like E-series vans, where good condition models with the V10 are going UP in resale price!
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

gregrc75
Explorer
Explorer
fx2tom wrote:
When I bought my 2016 Titan XD 5.0 SL 4x4 I paid $42k OTD. I could not have picked up a fully loaded one from the Big 3 comparable equipped at the time. They were all $50k+ before TT&L so I believe it. I used the hell out of it before selling it when my employer handed me a $48k Tundra. Titan XD was a far better truck than the Tundra for the money. It worked perfectly for my 8,300 lb fully loaded trailer. Would a 6.7l or 6.6l worked even better? Sure, but I wasn't spending the extra money and similar to demiles I was pushing 21 MPG day to day empty. I also didn't mind the looks.

That is exactly what I paid for my SL model brand new(58K sticker). My truck has been trouble free minus a replaced DEF tank under warranty. I have 38K miles on it and I have returned up to 24 mpg highway but typically around 21mpg (it is mainly flat here in eastern MA). It pulls my trailer with ease. Now that it is breaking in it is more fun to drive.
Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
thomasmnile wrote:
Shiner, I looked up the application on Pierce's website. The 6.7/Torq-Shift power train combo is apparently available on the Saber chassis which is an entry level custom chassis. The engine is rated for 330 HP, 725 lb/ft of torque. The adaptation was engineered for Pierce by Ford and Roush. What I wonder is the truck is spec'd with a 1500 gpm pump. Wonder how the engine will do running it, believe the pump is single stage.

In that respect it should be fine IMO. I'm an old guy like you, back in the day we had some Mack CF pumpers with 1500 GPM single stage pumps run by 285hp motors with no issues for power. You've probably read about 5000 gpm industrial pumpers that run the same 500 hp "big block" diesels that most fire apparatus use today.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
fx2tom wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
I paid $50k out the door on my fully loaded Laramie 2500 CTD. MSRP was almost $65k

Similar discount, Titan was stickered at $58k. As I said, I am sure the bigger diesel would have performed even better. I just wasn't willing to spend the $$ at the time. Even at $50k OTD that $8k buys a lot of beer :B

True, but I'll get it back in a few years. Although I might plan on keeping with all the mods I put on it.

Awesome. As they say there is a butt for every seat.

As an aside when my employer wanted to buy the Tundra I tried to convince them that a 3/4 ton was a better buy but they were dead set on Toyota. Too bad....that Tundra was an outdated and overpriced turd compared to everything else on the market.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
fx2tom wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
I paid $50k out the door on my fully loaded Laramie 2500 CTD. MSRP was almost $65k

Similar discount, Titan was stickered at $58k. As I said, I am sure the bigger diesel would have performed even better. I just wasn't willing to spend the $$ at the time. Even at $50k OTD that $8k buys a lot of beer :B

True, but I'll get it back in a few years. Although I might plan on keeping with all the mods I put on it.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
demiles wrote:
js9234 wrote:
Very highly doubt that.
demiles wrote:
My 16 has been problem free for 3 years now and I have no complaints. I bought it to work so itโ€™s almost always hauling or towing something and itโ€™s not a daily commuter. The reason I bought it is because it was cheap, 6k less than a big three gasser comparably equipped The 21 mpg highway empty makes me more likely to drive it.

Before taxes, tags, and trade $33,400. The sticker was $46k. It was paid for in full before it left the lot.

That's exactly $6k less than I paid for the truck in my sig, which has the 6.7 CTD in it.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
js9234 wrote:
Very highly doubt that.
demiles wrote:
My 16 has been problem free for 3 years now and I have no complaints. I bought it to work so itโ€™s almost always hauling or towing something and itโ€™s not a daily commuter. The reason I bought it is because it was cheap, 6k less than a big three gasser comparably equipped The 21 mpg highway empty makes me more likely to drive it.

Before taxes, tags, and trade $33,400. The sticker was $46k. It was paid for in full before it left the lot.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Groover wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
SOOOOO, where will the Cummins land???

Cummins just picked up a new customer for the 6.7 that will probably buy more than replace the loss from the Nissan. I doubt that they were making money on the 5.0 anyway with the low volumes that it had.

The old tractor engine just keeps going

Nice!

Most likely this.....

"The B6.7 is the most popular diesel engine ever built by Cummins. Now in its fourth decade of continuous improvement, the B6.7 for 2019 features an EGR-free design that delivers 5 percent more power and 31 percent more peak torque than the current model. Cummins award-winning VGTโ„ข Turbocharger sets the industry standard for reliability and durability as it increases equipment productivity. Increased fuel economy and longer maintenance intervals contribute to a reduced cost of operation and lower Total Cost of Ownership.
EGR-free architecture reduces complexity, improves reliability and reduces the cooling system space claim. Multiple component options allow for easier installation and maintenance. These include a choice of front- or rear-sump oil pan locations, on-engine or remote-mounted options for ECM and maintenance filters, the option of Rear Engine or Front Engine Power Take Offs, plus your choice of four turbocharger orientations; high-mount front and rear, or low-mount front and rear."
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:

2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP