cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIRES,,,,,need 4

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
need tires for my ram pick up truck 2012, LT265/60R20, haven't bought tires for many years and didn't realize how many different brands are out there and how expensive they are now.
Any suggestions as to a brand that is decent out there? just looking for a all terrain tire with NO off road driving. mostly highway and city streets.... thanks
49 REPLIES 49

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
phillyg wrote:
I've been disappointed the few times I strayed from Michelin.

I've been disappointed the couple times I've had Michelins.

Same with me.

blt2ski
Grit dog wrote:
phillyg wrote:

Me three!

In AZ I've heard and read on here, a really bad place for tire longevity. Unlike here in western WA st. I've seen 8-10 years in tires an the sidewalks etc still look fine. I'm usually replacing about this time frame no matter tread depth. I do have 20 years on some of them french made 19.5 all steel case medium duty tires. They're ready to go away for many reasons.
Then again if you get a week of 80f temps, its a bloody heat spell. 90F and all kinds of overheating messages come out in the news.

If truly on gravel and dirt roads. A slightly wider tire than recommended might be better than recommended or a bit too wide. This will usually protect the sidewalks from sticks stones etc.
An ave to aggressive AT tread might be best depending upon how wet, snowy vs dry it is in your area.
A friend of mine that belongs to a jeep off road club, most are running GY Duratracs. I have a set on my 1500. A bit aggressive for most of the driving I do. The Cooper AT3 would be a better choice. I have Cooper HT3 on a transit 250 cargo van at work. Great in dry and rain wetted roads. Not so great in the wet snow we have. I could see them doing well in a dry compact snow ice situation. Slush or loose snow, one needs tire chains.

No right answer.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
joelyn wrote:
Thanks to all for your advise and suggestions. maybe wait a month and see what goes on sale for black friday or buy 3 and get one free deal... will still check for any more advise... TY

While your waiting spend some time on tirerack.com website and look at each 20" LT tire mfg different AT type tread designs. Some have large lugs and voids....others may look more like a AS tire.
Were rural out here where we live with mostly gravel roads and some oil/chipped.
On the wifes 1500 4wd chevy crew cab I keep a nice quiet set of Bridgstone LTH AS (Discount tire) on it. I also have a set of Goodyear Duratrac AT. The Duratracs tread looks more like a MT type tread. I use them mostly in the winter (snow/mud) or if I have a job where the AS won't go.

Lots of different AT tread designs to choose from. Smaller lugs and voids normally gets you better miles of service vs larger lugs/voids....as always depends on driving habits and city vs rural.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put Cooper HT3s on mine last year and they are wearing very well. I would have nearly worn out the Goodyears I was running before by now. I am running 16s, not 20s though.

edited to add: I put them on two years ago, not last year.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Goodyear All Terrain with Kevlar is top quality not the low price value tire.
I run mine hard in all conditions (on road and off) and they perform very well.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
phillyg wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
just buy the best michilin and you,ll be happy .think cooper just had a big shake up.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Goodyear has 10% off right now.

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your advise and suggestions. maybe wait a month and see what goes on sale for black friday or buy 3 and get one free deal... will still check for any more advise... TY

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Just curious why you want an all terrain tire if you don't intend to go in the dirt? A straight hiway tire will be quieter and give you a smoother ride. And do better on ice.

I generally buy the cheapest. Works for me for over 50 years. But I do things differently with the bike. 🙂

I live in the rural section of Az all dirt roads like washboards. so thats why i think i would like a stronger tire for to and from the main roads and house...... i had the Passenger tires on the truck when i bought the truck in 2012 and they only lasted 20 ,000 miles before all tires got flats within 2 weeks of each other and all split right in the threads from the rocks...... at that time the tire guy advised me to get the LT tires and go from the P275/60R20 to the LT265/20R20 size and made a huge difference and never a problem again with flats or anything. have 40,000 miles on them now and thread is hardly worn, sidewalls still look good but the heat is a killer out here and so far 6 years might be getting to the worn point from the heat... truck rides really smooth and quiet and to me even better that the OEM P275/60 R20 tires and never have ice out here so i figured i would stick with them. just some sticker shock compared to when I bought these, LOL................... thanks for your post

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Find one of the other 1000 tire threads.
They’re all round, black and hood air just fine….The rest is mostly personal preference or type of use.
This open ended question is like asking strangers what you should have for lunch….
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just curious why you want an all terrain tire if you don't intend to go in the dirt? A straight hiway tire will be quieter and give you a smoother ride. And do better on ice.

I generally buy the cheapest. Works for me for over 50 years. But I do things differently with the bike. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
1995brave wrote:
I also have a 2012 Ram with 20 inch rims. I put Cooper tires on mine and love them.

I went with Cooper Discovers 18" on our new to us 18 RAM. After a lot of investigation the Discovers are designed for a tow vehicle with the tread wrapped around the sides to provide extra stability.

Originally I was looking at Michelins but they are getting terrible reviews lately. Tread separation around 20000 miles and so on.

I haven't seen a bad review of the Coopers. YMMV
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

blt2ski
Cooper HT or AT3

Like my French built sailboat. Not the tires. The XDE M+S I like in a 225-70-19.5 LR G.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD