cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires- LT or ST

2stonesthrow
Explorer
Explorer
TIre recommendations? We are towing 8500# travel trailer. Weโ€™ve had numerous blowouts with China bombs over the years, partly due to Texas heat and high speeds. We are over the blow outs and need something that will hold. We currently have 15โ€ but looking to go to 16โ€ LT that can handle higher speeds of 75mph. What has worked for you with the higher speeds? Tia!
74 REPLIES 74

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
LT tire are fine IF the stated load (in lbs) stamped on the side of the tire meets your load requirements. Use the maximum pressure stated on the side of the tire.

There is a much larger selection on LT tires compared to ST tires. Better pricing.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Great points. And while I canโ€™t argue the virtues of going to stout 16โ€ LT tires IF theyโ€™re even remotely warrAnted and fit without any major modifications, the fact remains, the OP can get stout 15โ€ ST 2800lb rated 80psi tires very conveniently and more economically.
And since the OP said his trailer is 8500lbs, there is less than 2000lbs load on each tire. If a 35% increase in tire capacity compared to the load isnโ€™t enough, Iโ€™m not sure whatโ€™s being gained by up-sizing even more.
Not to mention that virtually any 15โ€ trailer tire made today is actually within capacity for his camper, albeit with less reserve capacity.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have you weighed the trailer and checked against Payload rating of the tires?

Also, do you check the tire pressure regularly?

Most blowouts are overloaded or under inflation.

A lot of people going to LTs increase the payload rating and keep a closer eye on pressure...then credit the fact they are LTs.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carlisle Radial Trail HD have great reviews.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Mine were $600 and some change for a set of four three years ago. I doubt they have tripled in price.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
Goodyear Endurance tires for $450 each? Wow that seems very excessive or they sure went up in price substantially in the last year or so. I paid well under half that for them in 235/80/16 size.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
StirCrazy wrote:
time2roll wrote:
GY Endurance or Carlisle Radial Trail HD are both quality speed rated ST tires.

I get a kick out of that every time I see it. Carlisle tires are one of the cheapest tires where I live and every tire shop steers you away from them as they have had to many issues with them, but down there everyone seems to love them.

As for endurance, I am sure they are great but at almost 450.00/tire they are not one I'll ever buy...

Except the OP is in the US, so the 15โ€ GYE tires that are the right size and load range for his trailer are $160-170 and even 16โ€ ones are 2 for $450โ€ฆ.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
eHoefler wrote:
I run LTs on all my trailers except the Fifth wheel, it has MTs on it.

Mud terrains?

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:

I get a kick out of that every time I see it. Carlisle tires are one of the cheapest tires where I live and every tire shop steers you away from them as they have had to many issues with them, but down there everyone seems to love them.

As for endurance, I am sure they are great but at almost 450.00/tire they are not one I'll ever buy...
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I run LTs on all my trailers except the Fifth wheel, it has MTs on it.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelin XPS Ribs

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
LT should hold up well in all conditions.

Either way make sure the tires are load rated for the entire trailer GVWR.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
15" trailer wheels can come in 5 or 6 lug hubs. If you have 6 lug wheel your part way there.
I doubt you can find a 5 lug 16" trailer wheel. Trailer wheel need to have a zero off set.

My old 1997 11200 lb 5th wheel trailer came with 5200 lb axles/6 lugs and 15" ST225/75-15 D Marathons. Sold wheels/tires to a guy with a lawn service trailer.

I bought four 16" grey steel modular trailer wheels (1997) from my local commercial trailer mfg. I thought I had wheel well clearance issues so went to a LT225/75-16 E at 2680 lbs. Next sets have been a bit taller in a LT215/85-16 E at 2680 lbs. Run all my LT E tires on rv and non rv trailers at max 80 psi.

The taller (32" dia) LT235/85-16 E at 3042 lbs capacity works better on heavier trailers with loaded 5.2k...6k axles.

LT tires that their mfg has recommended to me for my trailer use are;;
Cooper Discoverer HT-3
Bridgestone R-238 all steel ply carcass commercial grade
Michelin XPS Rib commercial grade all steel ply carcass
Goodyear Wrangler HT
BFG Commercial A/T 2
Firestone Transforce HT

Be sure and make your wheel well measurements first for proper clearance issues.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had excellent service from Maxxis and Goodyear ST tires on my 4500 lb TT and I use only LT tires on my tow truck (Ram 1500). At your weight for the TT I would use LT tires. Rolling, rolling, rolling

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I had a 35โ€™ 5er and used 16โ€ Michelin XPS Ribs LT tires to replace the OEM Chinese tires. Rated for 3,042 lbs which was fine for my trailer. I also live in Texas and towed in temps as high as 106 at 70 mph for hours at a time. 1st set lasted 9 yrs and replaced due to age even though they only had about 17,000 miles and still looked new. (Michelin says inspect yearly at 5 and replace at 10). Replaced with another set and sold it 4 yrs later. Never a flat or even a low tire. Added 2-4 lbs air at the start of the season and good until next year. But they are not cheap.