cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires for the TV

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
As per my signature for TV and TT, doing some gravel travel towing medium sized TT but more pavement than gravel. Use TV to shuttle mountain bikes, trail heads, rough fishing and hunting spots.

1) Anyone have good luck with Michelin A/T2 245/75 R17 LT tires? Any other brands that might work for 3 seasons(have studded snows for winter)? I am replacing the OEM General Tire Grabbers with 30,000 KM nearly worn out, down to the wear bars.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/
21 REPLIES 21

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I also drive mostly on pavement, but then will head off on a 60 mile stretch of gravel in remote country. I bought the Michelin AT2 and have been happy with then for the first 15,000 miles. A buddy of mine who is hard on tires (Chev diesel) put 50k on his. He was going to go with them again but was in a hurry and instead went with BFG AT which he just swapped out after 36k miles.

They do well in heavy rain, have run some in snow and a lot of gravel. So far so good. If I have one concern it is a reinforcing band about 3/4" in from the edge. As the tire wears that may impact pushing water to the outside of the tire. We will see how it performs with 40k on it. The other tire I was considering was Toyo Open Country AT. Hear almost nothing but good stuff on that tire.

Good luck,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

blt2ski
An aggressive street tire or mild AT tire will do you fine. I'd go with Toto HT or Cooper personally.
I do have Pathfinder AT on truck now. This also would work. Especially since have 4WD. It's an LT tire with an SUV performance AT tread. Made by Hancock or Nokia for discount tire. 60k warranty, and cheap $$$ wise. Nothing special. Do well on asphalt concrete. Ok in snow and other slippery conditions. I need a bit more open traction these offer, being as I have an open diff RED. I get where I need to go.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
In all seriousness though, cold stream, sounds like any highway tire would be fine. 4wd helps when tires are lacking traction...to a point.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
FishOnOne wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
IdaD wrote:
I would go with a Toyo/Nitto or Cooper over any Michelin tire. I have BFG AT/KO2's on my truck now and they perform great but aren't wearing super well - I doubt they'll see 40,000 miles.

Michelin will die with the last of the baby boomers. #michelin=grampatire....lol

I would rather have Michelin's than any Toyo/Nitto tires. With the Toyo/Nitto you better get a good set of mud flaps or the front of your camper will get basted with rocks.

I Got some! You're right thou. No rocks slung with the Michelins, hard to if you can't get off the pavement!
Haha, jk!

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
crosscheck wrote:
I am not a real "off road" type of guy. If I do go off pavement towing, it will be on fairly descent gravel roads. Sure, to get to some fishing and hunting spots there will be some mud, but mostly the tire I need will be 80% pavement and 20% mixture of good gravel with short stretches of rougher, dirt/muddy back roads.

Dave
I don't think you really need the noise, excessive wear, and short life of an AT tire if that is the driving you're going to be doing.

I agree. We do a lot of back country stuff but usually that means driving to a trailhead on a descent rough road and mountain biking, hiking, back packing, canoeing from there.

Dave
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
crosscheck wrote:
I am not a real "off road" type of guy. If I do go off pavement towing, it will be on fairly descent gravel roads. Sure, to get to some fishing and hunting spots there will be some mud, but mostly the tire I need will be 80% pavement and 20% mixture of good gravel with short stretches of rougher, dirt/muddy back roads.

Dave
I don't think you really need the noise, excessive wear, and short life of an AT tire if that is the driving you're going to be doing.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
IdaD wrote:
I would go with a Toyo/Nitto or Cooper over any Michelin tire. I have BFG AT/KO2's on my truck now and they perform great but aren't wearing super well - I doubt they'll see 40,000 miles.

Michelin will die with the last of the baby boomers. #michelin=grampatire....lol

I would rather have Michelin's than any Toyo/Nitto tires. With the Toyo/Nitto you better get a good set of mud flaps or the front of your camper will get basted with rocks.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
IdaD wrote:

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
crosscheck wrote:

Dave

Given that I would look at the Nitto G2.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
crosscheck wrote:
As per my signature for TV and TT, doing some gravel travel towing medium sized TT but more pavement than gravel. Use TV to shuttle mountain bikes, trail heads, rough fishing and hunting spots.

1) Anyone have good luck with Michelin A/T2 245/75 R17 LT tires? Any other brands that might work for 3 seasons(have studded snows for winter)? I am replacing the OEM General Tire Grabbers with 30,000 KM nearly worn out, down to the wear bars.

Dave

This forum has a bit of brain lock. Do yourself a favor, google Sailun Terramax AT's, and go to the Sailun website. If skeptical, just ask ON THIS Forum, what their take is on Sailun S637 for the heavier fifth wheels. There truck tires are of equal quality

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer

Dave
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold

neil57
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
I’ve ran a ton of tires over the years on my trucks and you’re hard pressed to find a better tire for 3 season highway and towing work than the LTX M/S from Michelin, their newest version is the Defender LTX M/S and is very well rated. This is not an off-road tire by any means so keep that in mind.

if off road usage is a requirement for you, the Michelin offering is not that great, I have the AT2 on my truck and for gravel roads and logging roads they are fine, past that they offer no grip in the muck - I’ve had good luck with Toyo Open country AT2, hankook dynapro atm and absolutely terrible experience with a set of Cooper discoverer at3 (not sure why folks push their tires, I’ve ran 3 sets on various cars over the years, every set disappointments).

X2
Coopers will go hard at 8/32 tread and be squirrelly in the rain, Toyo open country are a good all round tire, and a good price.
2009 2500HD Sierra CC DA
2014 Crossroads Cruiser 35ss

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve ran a ton of tires over the years on my trucks and you’re hard pressed to find a better tire for 3 season highway and towing work than the LTX M/S from Michelin, their newest version is the Defender LTX M/S and is very well rated. This is not an off-road tire by any means so keep that in mind.

if off road usage is a requirement for you, the Michelin offering is not that great, I have the AT2 on my truck and for gravel roads and logging roads they are fine, past that they offer no grip in the muck - I’ve had good luck with Toyo Open country AT2, hankook dynapro atm and absolutely terrible experience with a set of Cooper discoverer at3 (not sure why folks push their tires, I’ve ran 3 sets on various cars over the years, every set disappointments).
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB