cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires Date

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
What is a reasonable mfgr date to expect for E rated tires ... am thinking BFG Ko2 or Nitro-Grapplers. Or maybe something else.

2015 Chev 2500HD 4x4 ...

Thanks.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
15 REPLIES 15

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Yup, lotta myths about tire's going bad like the tomatos in your fridge. Of course, most folks couldn't find a born on date on a tire if you held a gun to their head.
I usta buy mostly used tires for our vehicles (better value than new from the tire shop, kinda like a new car vs used). Anymore, the value in that market seems to not be there, at least in this area (based on highly scientific Craigslist tire shopping, lol).
But with that, knowing that something your were buying wasn't already 5 years old even though it looked new was important.

If you go to the tire shop and get new tires off the rack and bitsch if they're 6-12 months old, something is a little off with you upstairs!

People just gotta realize that everything man creates, mother nature destroys. Some things last longer than others Rubber lasts a few years. Concrete much longer But they will both be reclaimed by mother nature

BTW, I insist on tires less than 6 months old. It means that I can get an extra season out of them. At 1300.00 or so for a set, it is about 260.00.

For those that want to diss me for this.... Buzz off. It is my money, and I decide how to spend it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Mmmmm, nothing like the smell of fresh tires!

Or was that donuts?

The smell is great but not so much the greenbacks that go to get them. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
CapriRacer wrote:
Just so everyone knows:

Within the tire industry, there is a common belief that any properly stored tire within 6 years of manufacture can be sold as "New". I say "belief" because I don't know of any data to support this - EXCEPT:

The tire manufacturer I worked for tested 3 year old tires out of their warehouse and could find no significant difference from freshly made.

So if you are concerned about the age of the tires you purchase, say so up front. It will save a lot of hassle later.

I had Michelins start exploding when they were 7 years old. I returned a tire to Michelin for evaluation at my own expense and their quality manager for the U.S. told me that they will not cover any issues after 6 years. Period. And I was an idiot for having 7 year old tires still on my truck even though they still had half of the tread left and were showing very little sign of age, other than random explosions due to sidewall failure. Since then I have had other fail not long after 6 years old.

I guess that I don't drive as much as most people and rarely wear out a tire. Mine are mostly replaced due to age so I won't accept a tire much more than 6 months old. I keep all of my vehicles under roof and out of the sun as much as possible but the tires still fail too often for me to gamble with my family driving them.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yup, lotta myths about tire's going bad like the tomatos in your fridge. Of course, most folks couldn't find a born on date on a tire if you held a gun to their head.
I usta buy mostly used tires for our vehicles (better value than new from the tire shop, kinda like a new car vs used). Anymore, the value in that market seems to not be there, at least in this area (based on highly scientific Craigslist tire shopping, lol).
But with that, knowing that something your were buying wasn't already 5 years old even though it looked new was important.

If you go to the tire shop and get new tires off the rack and bitsch if they're 6-12 months old, something is a little off with you upstairs!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just so everyone knows:

Within the tire industry, there is a common belief that any properly stored tire within 6 years of manufacture can be sold as "New". I say "belief" because I don't know of any data to support this - EXCEPT:

The tire manufacturer I worked for tested 3 year old tires out of their warehouse and could find no significant difference from freshly made.

So if you are concerned about the age of the tires you purchase, say so up front. It will save a lot of hassle later.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mmmmm, nothing like the smell of fresh tires!

Or was that donuts?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
We always buy Michelin tires at Costco. They have good turnover, so the mfg date is usually fairly recent, but I began ordering my tires on the Costco website and having them delivered free to the Costco Tire Center of my choice for installation. I find the tires are even fresher when I order them in from their warehouse.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Beaker wrote:
2 of the original tires are still on my vehicle which would make them 11-12 years old.
You are playing tire roulette.
It is not a matter of if, but when those tires will come apart. The damage from steel belts whipping around at high speed can be severe.

Your money, your choice
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
When you get new tires, I would not accpt any over 6 months from date of manufacture.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
2 of the original tires are still on my vehicle which would make them 11-12 years old.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
If the date code has only 3 digits, run as they are over 19 years old!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
Being retired now I only put about 10,000 miles per year on my truck. I would not buy new tires over one year old, and preferably much less.

Agree, If there is a 18 on there leave them there. When you buy tires. Specify NEW tires. Yes they age in the warehouse just like they do on your rims
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Being retired now I only put about 10,000 miles per year on my truck. I would not buy new tires over one year old, and preferably much less.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vehicle tires are generally worn out before they expire due to age. If they are in reasonably good condition you should be good for another couple of years on that truck.