cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for new tires already?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Apparently the OEM Goodyear wranglers on my F350 are not the best tires. A little over 30k miles and they are worn out already. For some reason I recall getting 50-60k miles on tires on my previous F150. Are larger trucks that much harder on tires or are these just cheap?

Any suggestions on a decent new tire that won't break the bank? 275/70/18 E rated for hauling the FW.

I've seen guys on CL selling pretty new take-offs. I wouldn't mind going with a little taller tire and rim if the price were right but seems like most guys aren't selling E rated ones. What's with all the low profile tires on trucks. Doesn't that render your truck pretty useless?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
38 REPLIES 38

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I ran the OEM Michelin LT265/70-17 E LTX AS on my '03 2500 Dodge/ Cummins for 113k miles before they finally wore down close to the wear bars. The tire had hard rubber with very poor traction on any wet/frozen surface.
The same OEM Michelins in a 16" LT E on a new '01 2500 Dodge/Cummins lasted 84k miles close to the wear bars.
Went with a Bridgestone Revo at that time. Huge gain in traction. Ran them for 68k miles till they made too much noise for my use.
I'm rural out here with lots of highway miles with very little city miles. I'm a conservative driver and don't square my corner turns like I see many LDTs/cars/suv drivers do.

I've always got over 60k mile out of light truck tires on 3/4 and one ton LDTs even the ones I had in service (hiway).

I still use Bridgestone or Cooper AT type tires on my LDTs.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bobmontana
Explorer
Explorer
The only tires that ever impressed me over the years were Goodyear Workhorse tires, they were a bit noisy but they wore like iron on my 1985 k3500. Currently we're running Cooper AT's and they aren't that great. I've also had good wear out of Uniroyal tires on half tons though.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
OEM tires are not made for a lot of miles. HD trucks will certainly wear out tires MUCH faster than a F150.

My RAM has about 100,000 miles on it, and I've replaced the tires three times. The Yokohama's that were the first set I bought got 17,000 miles (Discount Tire did help me out with the replacement). The Bridgestone's are wearing better, but I won't see 50,000 miles out of them.

I never believe those that claim high miles out of tires on a HD. Those are probably the same guys that get 20 MPG towing at 80 MPH.

And, FWIW, our 2019 Expedition has 36,000 miles and the Hankook OEM tires are also worn out. They will be replaced with Michelin before the snow flies.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Apparently the OEM Goodyear wranglers on my F350 are not the best tires. A little over 30k miles and they are worn out already. For some reason I recall getting 50-60k miles on tires on my previous F150. Are larger trucks that much harder on tires or are these just cheap?

Yes. I am shocked how much faster my BFGs wear on my F250 vs F150. Its a good 10k mile difference. But it is 1500lbs heavier.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
30k on LT tires is about right.

Huh?
Or do you mean on OE LT tires?

The Pirellis on my Excursion went around 40k. I replaced them with some BFG AT TAs and they on,y went about 30k. I replaced them with some General Grabber HTS and they went about 45k. OE AT tires will only go 30-35k at most when towing.

HT (highway tires) will last longer as it’s a straight highway tread with a harder compound. AT tires (All Terrain) have a more rugged tread and a softer compound.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

blt2ski
Grit dog wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Huh?

OE LT tires have never gone past 30k or so miles. Over the counter new ones for MY use, I'm hard on tires, have been 40-60k Mike's. Best was 90k on some Toyo M55 on rear of a dually pickup. No rotating. Fronts on same truck with Toyo HT was 65k or so.

I've gotten 70k+ on Typical Firestone HT with a Frod T250 van doing highway miles only. No towing, but at upwards of 150% of manufactures GVWR a few times.....

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:

Huh?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
spoon059 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
My Firestone Transforce ATs on 2015 RAM 3500 SRW did the same, gone at 29-30K. I installed Michelin Defender LTX m/s and was happy with those.

Me too, I think that dealers are specing cheap tires to keep costs down or maximize profits. My Transforce ATs were toast at 26k miles.

I've got a Ram, but I am super happy with my Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure with Kevlar. I had some Nitto's for a couple years that I liked, but a belt broke and was bulging... right at the end of warranty. I got a great deal from Goodyear during a Memorial Day sale, got a $200 rebate for using my Goodyear credit card AND 6 months 0% financing. Kept my tires under $1000 mounted and balanced.

The manufacturers spec the tires not the dealers.

I also ran a couple of sets of Goodyear Adventure with Kevlar and got ~45k - 50k miles from each set.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
You get what you pay for…I would recommend the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Recently realized I have over 60,000 miles on the tires and still have well over 50% tread. Of course, the LT version probably doesn’t carry the same treadwear warranty as the passenger version.

You should check the treadwear rating of your OEM tire versus the aftermarket version. I have seen where the aftermarket version has a higher treadwear rating than the OEM tire.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
My Firestone Transforce ATs on 2015 RAM 3500 SRW did the same, gone at 29-30K. I installed Michelin Defender LTX m/s and was happy with those.

Me too, I think that dealers are specing cheap tires to keep costs down or maximize profits. My Transforce ATs were toast at 26k miles.

I've got a Ram, but I am super happy with my Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure with Kevlar. I had some Nitto's for a couple years that I liked, but a belt broke and was bulging... right at the end of warranty. I got a great deal from Goodyear during a Memorial Day sale, got a $200 rebate for using my Goodyear credit card AND 6 months 0% financing. Kept my tires under $1000 mounted and balanced.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Seems that replacement tires of the exact same tire as the OEM last much longer than that same OEM tire. Lots of opinions on the web as to why. Our last several vehicles have all been purchased new. 3 or 4 different brand and size tires. And the above has proven true. Including Wranglers on a previous F350.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
From a non trucker and FWIW, I had good service from my OEM Bridgestone’s on my Jeep Wrangler. 50k miles of over 7 years. Swapped them primarily from age, and I wanted new tires. They still had serviceable tread. Back in the ‘60/‘70’s tire wear was terrible but modern tires, from the name brands seem to wear well unless abused. JMO.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We had a new dodge with good year wranglers' tires. At an rv park in Spokane the same truck as ours towing a fifth came next to us. his truck was full of heavy duty tools as he was going to repair road equipment. fifth was loaded so when he told me the good year wrangler tire were junk and only had 58K miles on them I looked and the tires looked great. lots of thread so maybe not as bad as he wanted them to be. Way overloaded truck. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Me Again wrote:

my local shop recommended Michelin defenders. DW has them on her CRV.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS