cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Timbre s on 13 Silverado Duramax

okiejoe
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used Timbrens to aid in suspension but in turn did they inmprove harshness of concrete joints on interstate. I don't have a chucking problem just seems like rear axle action due to expansion joints
15 REPLIES 15

okiejoe
Explorer
Explorer
Yea my truck is a 3500 HD Dually, quite a bit different that a single wheel Tundra but I'm going to start with the bilsteins then maybe the Timbrens sense Timbrens say I could try and return if didn't workout. I don't have a sagging problem I have what feels like the duals are slapping harshly at each expansion joint in the concrete freeway.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Put Timbren's on my Ford to stop the squatting I had with my 5ver. Solved the problem and have not noticed a difference in ride harshness when empty. To me it worked better then bags.
cpaulsen

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I had them on my 2007 Tundra and did not notice any difference unless I went through a big dip where the suspension would want to bottom out. Then I could feel them make contact. Overall I never noticed them and certainly not when driving over expansion joints. Would buy them again if needed
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
My OEM shocks were done at around 25,000 miles-probably sooner. You will notice an improvement with new shocks but it will/may not solve your problem.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

okiejoe
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I think I'll start with the bilsteins 4600's my understanding is the 5100's are for 4 wheel drives or lifted trucks. Mine is stock 2 wheel drive

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Bilstein 4600 made a big difference in the expansion joints and bridge transitions.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
If you are just touching the overloads, then I would install the Bilstein 4600's first and see if that improves your ride.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I would say the harshnest is because your just hitting the overloads.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
More spring will not solve a harsh ride, put a full set of Bilstein shocks 4600 or 5100 your choice!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

okiejoe
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD, I've spoken with Timbrens and they said if I'm not satisfied I can ship the back for a full refund so if they don't help then no loss.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
okiejoe wrote:
so IdaD, the harshness when traveling on concrete interstate with 5th wheel is less? Here is my thoughts, I have 65k on factory shocks and plan on replacing with Bilstiens and add Timbrens my dually doesn't squat very much, just enough to barely touch the overload springs to the stops for them. Truck carry load great it's just harsh on concrete. I also have the MorRyde hitch pin and TrailerSaver airride hitch just those dang expansion joints are rough.

I guess it depends on how you define harshness. It doesn't make the ride softer. Quite the opposite, it's a bit stiffer under load - but that eliminates the bobbing effect I would get sometimes when I hit significant bumps at speed with the fifth wheel. Bils are great, so start with those and see if it has the desired effect. If not, go ahead and try the timbrens too - they're only a couple hundred bucks so you're not out much if you don't like them.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think the Bilsteins will help some, but agree with Grit dog, as to maybe lowering air pressure in rears to fit the load. If you already have proper pressure, then I think those darn cracks/joints...is what it is, using a DRW.

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I don't think it will smooth out the hits from the pavement joints. They made the ride more harsh on my trucks but carry the load better.
If everything else is good like you say, maybe you can lower air pressure for your axle weight. Taller tires will roll a little smoother too.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

okiejoe
Explorer
Explorer
so IdaD, the harshness when traveling on concrete interstate with 5th wheel is less? Here is my thoughts, I have 65k on factory shocks and plan on replacing with Bilstiens and add Timbrens my dually doesn't squat very much, just enough to barely touch the overload springs to the stops for them. Truck carry load great it's just harsh on concrete. I also have the MorRyde hitch pin and TrailerSaver airride hitch just those dang expansion joints are rough.