This should be a sticky here

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Calculating Towing Capacity
Payload
Tow rating
Etc.

Really good explanation with an example and graphics.

VIDEO
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
19 REPLIES 19

blt2ski
I've been pulled over here in Wa st OVER my sidwall ratings on my tires. NEVER have I been given an over weight ticket! We get 500 lbs per inch width of tire, up to 20K lbs per axel, per the federal Bridge Laws. Also as long as I have enough paid for tonnage for the vehicle and trailer weight! If California actually does enforce what was written, the Feds could reduce or take away any Federal funds for maintenance or building of new roads.

I am not saying we should all run down the road over the manufacture engineered spec. That is not what the local LEO is enforcing. It is the POINT load the road can handle, per an engineer spec. That is the engineer spec that is enforced. You can four tires, frame, brakes etc that can handle 100,000 lbs. But if those tires doe not spread/bridge the load per the FBL's, you will get an over weight ticket, and will not be able to move your rig until you meet some specs!

The video does give a good example of how you should load, etc per the manufacture warranty limits! If you tow or haul over that door specs, this is where you may, could, will get into issues if something breaks.

Legally, at least where I am, the door sticker means squat!

At the end of the day tho, even if you meet the FBL rules, and your rig is deemed unsafe by the officer, then trust me, they WILL have you off the road, and it will hurt your wallet WAY the heck worst than being overweight. Being over weight is NOT a moving violation. But brakes that can not stop you within the stated field test standards, WILL net you a moving violation, a red tag at the side of the road, not to move under its own power, until brakes are fixed, or it is moved via a flat bed truck, low boy etc to a repair shop. Then it has to be inspected at repair shop by LEO before you can move your rig down the road.........

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

smurfs_of_war
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
smurfs_of_war wrote:

Am I the only one that can hear the collective gnashing of teeth right now?

Call the weight police:

:B

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
smurfs_of_war wrote:

Call the weight police:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guess I need to go back to a pop up with my 2500.

smurfs_of_war
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Please enlighten us on what you think is the info me missed and the DOT guys look for?

I've towed commercially *LEGALLY* for over 11 years and 1.2 million miles and have been across scale houses in a eight state area many many times.
anyway...Some states may have some type of weight (gvw/gvwr/tonnage/gcwr/gross) and others for registration purposes. Some states like mine has no weight for registering a non commercial vehicle.
....just like the California commander says in a email reply dated oct 2009 to a rv.net person asking Quote; (snipped for length)

"Q: โ€œMany of the owners travel over their tow vehicle GVWR and /or
GCWR. Are there any state laws against this? Or does the owner just
take the risk if they wish?โ€

"A: The California Vehicle Code (CVC) does not contain a law that
specifically limits the amount of weight a vehicle may tow based on the towing vehicle GVWR or GCWR. There are, however, laws that limit the amount a vehicle may tow based on other criteria.

Section 1085(d) of Title 13 California Code of Regulations prohibits
the loading of tires above the maximum load rating marked on the tire,
or if unmarked the maximum load rating as specified in the applicable
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, or in a publication furnished to the public by the tire manufacturer. This would most likely happen in the case of a pickup truck towing a large fifth wheel travel trailer, as those types of trailers tend to transfer a larger portion of their weight to the last axle of the towing unit causing that axle to exceed the tire load limits.*

I trust this has adequately answered your questions. Should you desire
any further information, please contact Officer Ron Leimer, of my staff, at (916) 445-1865.
Sincerely,
S. B. DOWLING, Captain
Commander
Commercial Vehicle Section" **

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Please enlighten us on what you think is the info me missed and the DOT guys look for?

I've towed commercially *LEGALLY* for over 11 years and 1.2 million miles and have been across scale houses in a eight state area many many times.
anyway...Some states may have some type of weight (gvw/gvwr/tonnage/gcwr/gross) and others for registration purposes. Some states like mine has no weight for registering a non commercial vehicle.
....just like the California commander says in a email reply dated oct 2009 to a rv.net person asking Quote; (snipped for length)

"Q: โ€œMany of the owners travel over their tow vehicle GVWR and /or
GCWR. Are there any state laws against this? Or does the owner just
take the risk if they wish?โ€

"A: The California Vehicle Code (CVC) does not contain a law that
specifically limits the amount of weight a vehicle may tow based on the towing vehicle GVWR or GCWR. There are, however, laws that limit the amount a vehicle may tow based on other criteria.

Section 1085(d) of Title 13 California Code of Regulations prohibits
the loading of tires above the maximum load rating marked on the tire,
or if unmarked the maximum load rating as specified in the applicable
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, or in a publication furnished to the public by the tire manufacturer. This would most likely happen in the case of a pickup truck towing a large fifth wheel travel trailer, as those types of trailers tend to transfer a larger portion of their weight to the last axle of the towing unit causing that axle to exceed the tire load limits.*

I trust this has adequately answered your questions. Should you desire
any further information, please contact Officer Ron Leimer, of my staff, at (916) 445-1865.
Sincerely,
S. B. DOWLING, Captain
Commander
Commercial Vehicle Section" **
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
I'm got some pico with lots of garlic and jalapenos...anyone got any chips ?

Gotta' show this to my area state troop captain so he can let his size and weight officers know they haven't been using the trucks GVWR to determine a overload condition. Jeez......and even the feds may have to ......maybe this Mark guy can break the bad news to the industry.

Seriously he didn't do his home work on what dot looks at when the truck is weighed for a overload. Just plain mis-information.

Careful now. You and Wadcutter donโ€™t know nothin. The weight police have ALL the answers. Just the way the video started I didnโ€™t bother watching more then 1/4 of it.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
8.1 Van wrote:
I wonder how many flat-earthers would call that info a hoax since it involves math.;)

A wonder how many others here besides Jimnlin and myself have hauled loads that were subject to stopping at weigh stations and have read and understand the Federal Bridge Weight Laws. And know that a pickup truck is very hard press to exceed them.

Then the next issue, as I have stated is most states have tonnage fees that have to be paid. And it must cover the loads you are carrying.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how many flat-earthers would call that info a hoax since it involves math.;)

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
john&bet wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:

Gotta' show this to my area state troop captain so he can let his size and weight officers know they haven't been using the trucks GVWR to determine a overload condition. Jeez......and even the feds may have to ......maybe this Mark guy can break the bad news to the industry.

Seriously he didn't do his home work on what dot looks at when the truck is weighed for a overload. Just plain mis-information.

In your case you are most likely over the truck 9K GVWR. If your state licenses tonnage than you should pay for 10 or 12K to assure that you have not exceeded the licensed amount that you have paid to carry.

Looks like you might be OK to 11K with a standard plate for a pickup in your state.

https://www.in.gov/bmv/files/Fee_Chart.pdf

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
john&bet wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:

It is in my answer above. Federal bridge weight laws(which states repeat) and State Licensing for weight carried.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most of it was good but the fact he used 15% pin weight in his calculations is a JOKE!!!

I liked him saying use the RV's GVWR as a starting point, NOT the dry weight.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another chapter in RV.net weight police manual. Watched the first few second of the first one. He never mentioned the federal bridge weight laws or state licensing for load which are what is enforced.