cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The real pressing question about new pickups

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anyone know what that great gaping space above the rear wheels is for?
31 REPLIES 31

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
If a guy measures the maximum suspension travel to the stops there seems to be plenty of daylight to spare... even when jumping like in the commercials...

The system then has those great high wheel humps inside the box... trim them down and they could advertise another 2 cubic feet!

rwjejits
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
It's a place to set your beer, out of the sun, while working on or around your truck.

Winner!
2004 Ford F250 6.0
OEM TTYs Still Tight
210+ and Pulls Great
Original Owner- Lawrence Marshall Ford - Hempsted, Tx. (Closed 2009)
SCT, SG2, Deletes, Pyro, Free Flowing Exhaust, Timbrens, ELC & Filter

2011 Keystone Laredo 245RL

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
McDonoughDawg wrote:
I find the beds on new trucks to be WAY too far off the ground. You cannot reach over into the truck beds anymore on the half ton's....I don't get it.

Funny how different trucks are from brand to brand and 150/250/350 differences.

I can easily reach into the bed of my F350 dually, and I am vertically impaired. :B

In other words, I'm short.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Joking aside, the obvious reason is to compensate for squat under load.

So why do 4x4 sits higher than 4x2, with less load capacity?

Well, the FRONT of a 4x4 is higher to make space for the drivetrain (especially the live axle on Ford / RAM). The rear has to be made higher by leveling blocks to match the front.

So, a 4x2 truck is the absolute minimum height, and a 4x4 is artificially higher for "looks" and headlight alignment.

McDonoughDawg
Explorer
Explorer
I find the beds on new trucks to be WAY too far off the ground. You cannot reach over into the truck beds anymore on the half ton's....I don't get it.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
If this is an honest question, then what is "new" and what is "old"? OEMs in the last 10 years are all using 32-33" stock tires, so they aren't growing to fill larger wheel wells. But 20 years ago 29-30" tires were a lot more common on pickups.

Today's pickups are actually lower than trucks 10-15 years ago. Check out the front air dam on a 2014 GM Z71 - hahahaha! Wheel wells are larger though. I believe it is just due to perception of the scale of wheel diameter to wheel well. The black tire disappears compared to silver or chrome wheels and shiny body paint. Trucks have 17-22" wheels vs. 16-17" 10 years ago.

I would argue this. I have had an assortment of 1500's, 2500's gas and diesel since 1972 and my 2wd '11 2500 GMC is the first truck I ever needed a stool to get in the bed. I have hauled 3200lbs in the bed and still had 4" spacing between the rubber stopper and the springs and 10' clearance above the rear tire. The truck is absurdly tall and yes there is enough space to stash a Prius in the fender well.

Jwmoehrle
Explorer
Explorer
I thought itvwas there to process dear when they ran into the side of the truck, at least that is what happened to my 08 ford. It did not hold up too well, guess a prius would let it last longer.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Srt20. Sometimes U need to hide one of those little fart mobiles until it can be properly disposed of

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
kodiakcanuck wrote:
Some great answers in here guys. :B This one is my favourite so far
srt20 wrote:
It's there so you don't damage the box when you "accidentally" run over a Prius and the dang thing gets wrapped up around the tires.

It's funny cuz it's true!
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

kodiakcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Some great answers in here guys. :B This one is my favourite so far
srt20 wrote:
It's there so you don't damage the box when you "accidentally" run over a Prius and the dang thing gets wrapped up around the tires.
2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman 3:92,8-speed,5.7L HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L (prior)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
If this is an honest question, then what is "new" and what is "old"? OEMs in the last 10 years are all using 32-33" stock tires, so they aren't growing to fill larger wheel wells. But 20 years ago 29-30" tires were a lot more common on pickups.

Today's pickups are actually lower than trucks 10-15 years ago. Check out the front air dam on a 2014 GM Z71 - hahahaha! Wheel wells are larger though. I believe it is just due to perception of the scale of wheel diameter to wheel well. The black tire disappears compared to silver or chrome wheels and shiny body paint. Trucks have 17-22" wheels vs. 16-17" 10 years ago.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
It's a place to catch all the crud that would otherwise go on your shiny new truck.

GM has finally started putting wheel well liners/coatings on the rear of their trucks, except for the duallies. Mine is white and that big open space was glaring and was getting dirty quick. There is no aftermarket liner available so I went to Lowe's and bought 2 cans of Rustoleum spray for wheel well liners for $15. Taped it off and presto, I have a black not so noticeable wheel well that matches the front. Really looks good and so far it is holding up well. The inside of well is all metal and I did do a little sanding first to rough it up. I'm hopeful it will last but should be easy to touch up if needed.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
It's a place to set your beer, out of the sun, while working on or around your truck.

I thought it - but was not brave enough to say it.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer