cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Price Is Right

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
This afternoon a camper pulled into the spot next to mine in a rather average campground. But the rig was far from average. It was a massive looks new fifth wheeler pulled by a shiny looks new semi-trailer truck. I'm guessing the fellow that owns it is loaded. His wife looked like she was dressed nicely and carrying an expensive bag. How much would a trailer like this cost new and how much for the truck? I'm not looking to buy one; I'm just curious and I won't be so bold as to ask him. (photos of each below)

2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
15 REPLIES 15

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Looks like a FBP momentum
That is north of 6 figures easy. Not sure about the TV
I pull mine with a 3500 chevy.

I think you're right. I didn't get a good photo of the front, but I think I saw Momentum on it and it looks a lot like this one on RV Trader. This one is priced around $150K. I love Grand Design, but I wanted to go cheap so I went with Jayco. The quality is very cheap.

New 2023 Momentum Fifth Wheel
I have that same paint on my Momentum. So it was easy for me to spot.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Rickyrocket
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Stircrazy, that Peterbuilt looks a little older judging by the shape of the headlight housings.These thing seem to run forever even unmaintained,before a naysayer jumps in I'm gonna say I worked for buster brown for years....they don't maintain their stuff.

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
We were next to a LUXE 5th Wheel in Franconia Notch NH this summer. I was in my zero-grav with a beer and a fire when they pulled in. Within 3 mins I was Googling on my phone the rig & its price.

Wow. Just Wow.

Wouldn't be surprised if total rig combo was half a million.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
DallasSteve wrote:
bucky wrote:
The rig is impressive.
I'd never get it in 98% of the campgrounds we like to stay at. There is room on the truck frame for a side mounted car, that is probably the next step.

I thought that was a lot of space on the truck frame. How will it get up and down? I notice your travel map in your signature. I used to have one but then it stopped working. Are they working again? It looks like you haven't been to Alabama or Louisiana. I'm in Alabama today and in about 5 days I will be in Louisiana.

On that trip we went out I40 from the Raleigh area of NC, down thru AZ,and back on I10/I65/I85 and home. 6034 miles and 26 days. We never slowed down going thru Louisiana and just clipped the corner of Alabama. I wanted to go to Gulfport state park but the inn was full.
In my mind just driving thru a state doesn't count as camping there.
Puma 30RKSS

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
bukhrn wrote:
Considering an F350 or equal, would be in excess of $80K, but more likely an F450 + would be needed, add at least another 80 +/- for that Peterbuilt depending on year and options, the 5er could be anyones guess, again depending brand and options, but just my wild guess says midnightsadie might be low at $200k . Of course this is all just my opinion.

You're not going to buy a new HDT unless you really do have more money than you know what to do with haha. You can pick up stuff like that with around a million miles and a recently fresh rebuild which would probably last longer than most of us the way we would use them for 10 to 30k. for contrast I paid 50K for my used f350. I seriously wish I would have bought a used Volvo 780 and reregistered it as an RV. I could have got one at that time for 14K.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
If that is a New Horizon 5er, well north of $250K. The truck, depending on age and mileage, probably another $100K

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Huntindog wrote:

I think you're right. I didn't get a good photo of the front, but I think I saw Momentum on it and it looks a lot like this one on RV Trader. This one is priced around $150K. I love Grand Design, but I wanted to go cheap so I went with Jayco. The quality is very cheap.

New 2023 Momentum Fifth Wheel

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, the Momentum starts at about $150K and gos up from there.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
DallasSteve wrote:
bucky wrote:
The rig is impressive.
I'd never get it in 98% of the campgrounds we like to stay at. There is room on the truck frame for a side mounted car, that is probably the next step.

I thought that was a lot of space on the truck frame. How will it get up and down? I notice your travel map in your signature. I used to have one but then it stopped working. Are they working again? It looks like you haven't been to Alabama or Louisiana. I'm in Alabama today and in about 5 days I will be in Louisiana.

There is a very active HDT (heavy duty truck) group in the Escapees RV Club - all with singled semis pulling large/heavy fifth wheels. (The Volvos are the most popular HDTs and Freightliner Sport Chassis the most popular MDTs). Lots of them carry Smart Cars on the tractor behind the cab and, yes, side-mount ramps is how they do it.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Considering an F350 or equal, would be in excess of $80K, but more likely an F450 + would be needed, add at least another 80 +/- for that Peterbuilt depending on year and options, the 5er could be anyones guess, again depending brand and options, but just my wild guess says midnightsadie might be low at $200k . Of course this is all just my opinion.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ramps to drive up car sideways. Must not be over 102 in long. I have seen it done before

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
bucky wrote:
The rig is impressive.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
nice rig, but my idea of camping is different. my guess 200k.