cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The difference between dry an loaded weight.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my 25 ft. TT the literature said 5004 lbs. dry and 400 lbs. on the tongue.

Common sense said it would weigh more when loaded but how much more? So before a couple of our trips I took a trip to the CAT scales.

I was not interested in the sitting on the ground weights, I wanted to know, what was the total weight of the TT and how much as transferred to the tongue, after the WD hitch had done its job.

Well, in my case when loaded for the road, the TT weighs 6200 to 6400 lbs. depending on the trip length. There was 5650 lbs. on the TT axles and 750 lbs. transferred to the truck axles.

I must admit the total weight did not surprise me but almost double the tongue weight did. It also used up a lot of my TV max cargo capacity.

So the question is, how much weight and particularly tongue weight did your TT gain when loaded for the road?

I think the newcomers will be surprised.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
85 REPLIES 85

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:
Its often hard to weigh a trailer you don't own. It's also hard to take a brochure to the CAT scale and weigh it. Which is why adding 1200-1500lbs to the dry weight is the best solution for something you don't own.

I can sort of agree if you add 1000-1500# to the sticker weight.
The dry weight or brochure weight is notoriously too low to be useful.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Its often hard to weigh a trailer you don't own. It's also hard to take a brochure to the CAT scale and weigh it. Which is why adding 1200-1500lbs to the dry weight is the best solution for something you don't own.

Bingo you nailed it. That's why factory weight is a good baseline to start with and or gvwr Kinda hard to test drive a TT to the catscales

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
sgfrye wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I always recommend planning to tow the full GVWR.
Forget dry weight unless you just transport new trailers for a living.

LOL

im still learning weights and specs myself however

thinking this might be simplest, most common sense answer yet

And if I did that with this trailer I am sitting in now, I'd be off by 1900 pounds. Actual weight = 4100. GVWR = 6000.

In my mind the most common sense answer is to spend ten bucks at the CAT scale and weigh it.

I have cat scaled weighed . TT Gvwr 7720 lbs Cat scaled weighed for camping 7000lbs. With empty tanks Fresh water tank fill 1/4 full add about 100lbs.
more ... I'm a good balanced rig.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:
time2roll wrote:

LOL

And if I did that with this trailer I am sitting in now, I'd be off by 1900 pounds. Actual weight = 4100. GVWR = 6000.

In my mind the most common sense answer is to spend ten bucks at the CAT scale and weigh it.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:
time2roll wrote:

LOL

If it’s a trailer with a very low CCC then yes. But as I have said, some trailers are as much as 3-4K lbs. my trailer has a 4100lb CCC. No way I would use the GVWR.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Again, for those who have not taken their loaded for the road TT to the CAT scales, all your "figuring" is just that.

The fine print in many brochure will tell you the weight is based on the "average" or "typical" unit for that model. For all I know my TT could have been 300 or 400 lbs. above average when it left the factory.

The how and why does not matter the true scale weight does.

Good Luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

LOL

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
"I don't understand how you could have 1196-1396 lbs of cargo (6400 less 5004) in a 25 foot TT".

Well, myredracer, here's how:
Two Grp 27 batteries 120#?
Two propane tanks 40# (assume empty tank part of "dry wt")
Two solar panels 50#
51 gal H2O 426#
Awning 100#
Bedding 40#
Shoes, clothing 50#
Canopy 75#
Pots, pans, utensils 50#
Games, book, etc 25#
Food, drinks, ice 100#
Level blocks, chocks 50#
Lawn chairs 20#
Electric cable 10#

Just those items are 1,156 lbs. I am sure I have forgotten about misc. items we have in various storage bays - oh, yes: outdoor stove, charcoal and grill, tools, outdoor tables. And the list goes on. It takes items to be comfortably camping for a week in the boonies.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
This post is why I always recommend adding 1200-1500lbs to the dry weight. Then figure 12% of that for tongue weight. And you have to move stuff around to arrive at that 12% you can’t just load the trailer and go!

Some trailers have very high CCC’s so using the GVWR on a trailer with a 3-4K lb CCC would also not work.

x2

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
GrandpaKip wrote:
I’m sure there won’t be any subtraction.

LOL there is NEVER any subtraction....buy a new widget but leave the old one in there as a "spare"....

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
3885 lbs on the metal tag by the door. Does not include propane, batteries, cargo, fresh water or dealer installed accessories.
I stopped on the way home at a CAT scale after picking it up. 4150 lbs.
Loaded for cross country trip. 4900 lbs.
Almost always 12% tongue weight.
I haven’t weighed it this year and would like to know what I have added to it. I’m sure there won’t be any subtraction.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
bailer6334 wrote:
Here are my numbers. Brochure says 485lb tongue weight. Problem is they do not say if based on unloaded or loaded weight. Actual tongue weight when loaded is 780lbs or 12% of GVWR. For buyers this number need to be explained, and it is not.

Very true - and it's not only the dealers. I remember the first RV show I went to and the number of trailers listed as "1/2 ton towable." Easily 1/2 of the trailers carrying that demarcation weren't within the realm of a 1/2 ton truck! And that was the manufacturer making the claim, not the dealer.

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
Here are my numbers. Brochure says 485lb tongue weight. Problem is they do not say if based on unloaded or loaded weight. Actual tongue weight when loaded is 780lbs or 12% of GVWR. For buyers this number need to be explained, and it is not.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH