Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
32 REPLIES 32

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
PS: Why does he need "crazy torque"? A lot of the big pickups actually have systems that derate the torque because the engines have crazy torque. What's the point? Seems like there is no problem generating plenty of torque.
Everyone that drives a diesel brags on all the huge torque. Electric drive will take that to another level. Only limit will be tire adhesion to the road. Without traction control electric will spin all four tires fully loaded.

First, he's talking about a small truck or a 1/2 ton...not a 3/4 or 1 ton where you have the big diesels.

But really, even for the diesels it gets silly. Who cares if you have 2000ft-lbs of torque and then the truck derates it because it will either spin the wheels or tear the drivetrain apart.

Plus if you really need that much torque at the wheel, you can just use a lower gear.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Hello, this is a post about an imaginary vehicle, who cares about deposits and refunds, it's imaginary.

I have no idea why to gov is not all over this for a bait and switch?

No different than if I go to Sears for garden hose they advertised for $20 bucks and they say well we don't have any $20 dollar hoses but we do have a $40 garden hose. I then say no, I want me $20 dollar garden hose and they say well you will have to wait up to 2 years for that one.

This is classic bait and switch if there ever was one!

Again, why don't we see the semi making full load run on the road with the new media chasing them?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello, this is a post about an imaginary vehicle, who cares about deposits and refunds, it's imaginary.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dealing direct with the manufacturer is not normal either.
All others you are negotiating with the independent dealer.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

Just saying this seems normal and customary. $3,500 is not a huge amount on a $40,000 to $70,000 custom purchase. Remember there is no cooling off period as it comes to car purchases. No three day right to rescind the contract. You are all in once you sign whether that is with Tesla or any car dealer.

Yet throw in the name Tesla and everyone goes crazy.

Yes deposits are normal. But this is not a construction job with progress payments. Whether you want to admit it. This is not normal SOP for other companies in this industry.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deposit ($1,000) is to hold your spot in line. The $2,500 fee is made when the order is actually placed and vehicle options are selected. Only upon configuration is there a real contract formed and I understand part of that contract says the amount is no longer refundable. $3,500 is less than 10% of the final price and well within normal business practices.

Go ahead and order a Dell computer and you will pay 100% in advance and wait for the custom build to complete and ship. Probably a restocking charge if you cancel even before shipping. So no real surprise here.

I believe your Ford or GM dealer may also ask for a small deposit when you configure your order. Not sure if that deposit is refundable if you purchase something else at a different dealer. Review your contract. GM or Ford dealer may not care too much if you bail out as they just put it on the lot. Go to the parts department and most will ask for the full price to order a part that is not stocked. No one even blinks at that.

Likewise most home improvement contractors will ask for a small deposit when you sign and ask for more when the work starts assuming it is a multi day or multi week project. Same day finish would ask for money when complete.

Just saying this seems normal and customary. $3,500 is not a huge amount on a $40,000 to $70,000 custom purchase. Remember there is no cooling off period as it comes to car purchases. No three day right to rescind the contract. You are all in once you sign whether that is with Tesla or any car dealer.

Yet throw in the name Tesla and everyone goes crazy.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Your deposit has always been fully refundable.

The $2,500 required when configuring the order is nothing new as the S & X require same. Only difference is the media has suddenly made a big deal out of the additional $2,500. This is and has been the normal course of buying a Tesla all along.

A delivery window is given same as you would get from Ford or GM if you special order today.

Everything is normal and customary... time to get over it.

And a bit off topic anyway since the consumer pick up is not even on the design board yet.

I will admit I am a little confused by this comment. So you are saying multiple deposits is SOP for Tesla. That may be true I have no knowledge of that. But it sure is not normal and customary with every other car manufacturer.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
BenK wrote:

generally

....and why many retailers won't honor them...as some to many are not covered by the bankruptcy courts...
Somehow peoples's brains get all jammed up when they talk about Tesla.

Say if you had a toys-r-us gift certificate and they did a reorganization instead of liquidation.... the stores would still be accepting the pre-bankruptcy gift certificates at face value.

No other retailer would accept the thing anyway. BK or not. OK maybe it has happened but that was a complete goodwill gesture to convert a customer with a marketing discount.

This is so far off topic I am done here.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
snip....

And still not usually lost in a reorganization bankruptcy as customer gift certificates and deposits

generally

remain viable at full face value. Only a liquidation bankruptcy would cancel deposits. I believe liquidation is a long way off if you are short on the stock.

generally

....and why many retailers won't honor them...as some to many are not covered by the bankruptcy courts...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Not once bankruptcy is filed.
When is that happening? Not even on the radar as far as I am concerned.

And still not usually lost in a reorganization bankruptcy as customer gift certificates and deposits generally remain viable at full face value. Only a liquidation bankruptcy would cancel deposits. I believe liquidation is a long way off if you are short on the stock.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
It's the only way he can keep the ball rolling.

He needs more deposits from suc, errrrr, customers on products that will never happen.

Over 25% of the people that put reservations on the Model 3 have backed out. And more on the way. That's really bad news for Musk.

We want a refund Tesla.

$2,500 reservations, another way to keep the ball rolling. Lets pay this guy $3,500 with no delivery date. :R

wait back up, a bunch of customers want their deposit back so we need the rest of you to pony up another 2500 ?
because we already spent your deposit?
scetchy?
how can you ask a customer who already made a deposit for more?
is that even legal? not a breech of contract?
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Not once bankruptcy is filed.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

The $2,500 required when configuring the order is nothing new as the S & X require same. Only difference is the media has suddenly made a big deal out of the additional $2,500. This is and has been the normal course of buying a Tesla all along.

A delivery window is given same as you would get from Ford or GM if you special order today.

Everything is normal and customary... time to get over it.

And a bit off topic anyway since the consumer pick up is not even on the design board yet.