cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesla Launch of Pick-Up

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Elon Musk, mentioned that Tesla is ready to launch a "kick-ass" pick up next year.

My son works at Tesla and this is just a confirmation of what he told me in secret a few months ago that their lab was reverse-engineering several full size pick ups.

What do you think?

Keep it civil but let the fire works begin.
209 REPLIES 209

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
So inputting real world scenarios and costs into the convo is naysayer because it is not the sunshine and rainbows that you want to hear? Ya'll are doing the very same thing that you guys claim you know who is doing when he says fake news. Well, well, ya'll have something in common with him. Who 'da thunk it.....

No, you just sounded like my accountant who has problem for every solution, lol.

X2

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyF wrote:
As for semis, I read that trucking company J B Hunt is buying a few Telsa trucks which will have an operating range of 150 miles. Obviously, these would be suitable for local deliveries and would be charged overnight.

I can see electric pickups (with a similar range) being used for commercial operations if the trucks' operating costs were low enough (over the trucks lifespan) to justify their purchase price. (Operating costs include maintance as well as electricity.) A few of the few well-heeled may also buy one because it would be a status symbol, but that's a niche market.

I do not see electric pickups of being of any interest to RV drivers at present, but ask me again in 20 years.

Sure thing, if I am still alive then.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:

I believe that the hurdles can be overcome, you don't. It is that simple. Time will tell.

I can at least identify and acknowledge those hurdles instead of drinking free bubble up and eating rainbow stew. You don't solve problems by burying your head in the sand pretending they don't exist. It is that simple.

But yes, time will tell. Being in the medium/heavy duty industry for decades I believe hydrogen fuel cells have a much better chance than BEV's. They are taken more seriously in my industry than the BEV's which is mainly due to Tesla's unwillingness to answer these issues I have stated and not having a parts/service distribution centers to support these fleets. They refuse to go by traditional dealership networks so that means they will have to come up with a heck of a lot of capital to get it done.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
As for semis, I read that trucking company J B Hunt is buying a few Telsa trucks which will have an operating range of 150 miles. Obviously, these would be suitable for local deliveries and would be charged overnight.

I can see electric pickups (with a similar range) being used for commercial operations if the trucks' operating costs were low enough (over the trucks lifespan) to justify their purchase price. (Operating costs include maintance as well as electricity.) A few of the few well-heeled may also buy one because it would be a status symbol, but that's a niche market.

I do not see electric pickups of being of any interest to RV drivers at present, but ask me again in 20 years.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
Groover wrote:
"However, what I am talking to Sam about is the semi truck, which is for a completely different type of customer than the pickup truck would be for. There are also different types of hurdles you have to jump through to charge a semi that requires almost twice the amount of energy an average home uses in a month to charge one truck in a short amount of time, than the hurdles of charging a car or pickup truck."

Are all semis used the same way or used in the same regulatory environment? Do all semi drivers make rational decisions? I am old enough to remember how slowly some semi divers were to give up cross bar treads that were noisy and returned lower fuel economy. Now were are having some of the same fights over super singles. I don't believe that everyone in the trucking industry sees things the same way that you do and the pre-orders for electric trucks seem to be proof of that. To your point about hybrids I think that there would be tremendous benefit to trucks to go with hybrids. I know that I would like to have a hybrid drive on my DP motorhome and my next pickup. There is also a movement towards hybrid drives in mining equipment and some applications are going all electric.

Those are not the hurdles I am speaking of. Go back to my second post of this thread and you will see which ones I am speaking of which are a much bigger obstacle than objective driver opinion. Also, if you read my subsequent posts, you will see that pre-orders are a common thing in the medium/heavy duty trucking industry especially if it garners positive publicity and can be refunded.

I believe that the hurdles can be overcome, you don't. It is that simple. Time will tell.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Groover wrote:
It wasn't very long ago that "experts" were claiming that electric sports cars would never work. Now they dominate certain types of racing but not all.

I'm uninformed. :h What certain types of racing do electric cars "dominate" in? Link me up.

Virtually all street racing due to four wheel drive, raw power and traction control.

They would be on circuit driving if they weren't banned:
http://www.thedrive.com/news/24855/tesla-model-3-disqualified-from-tracks-time-attack-for-not-using-approved-fuel

The Pikes Peak hill climb and drag racing against street legal cars.
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1117468_not-exactly-top-fuel-electric-cars-come-to-top-level-drag-racing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFmFr5boXvw I don't think that the Demon is street legal and it still had to have warmed up tires to even get close.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
It wasn't very long ago that "experts" were claiming that electric sports cars would never work. Now they dominate certain types of racing but not all.

I'm uninformed. :h What certain types of racing do electric cars "dominate" in? Link me up.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
"However, what I am talking to Sam about is the semi truck, which is for a completely different type of customer than the pickup truck would be for. There are also different types of hurdles you have to jump through to charge a semi that requires almost twice the amount of energy an average home uses in a month to charge one truck in a short amount of time, than the hurdles of charging a car or pickup truck."

Are all semis used the same way or used in the same regulatory environment? Do all semi drivers make rational decisions? I am old enough to remember how slowly some semi divers were to give up cross bar treads that were noisy and returned lower fuel economy. Now were are having some of the same fights over super singles. I don't believe that everyone in the trucking industry sees things the same way that you do and the pre-orders for electric trucks seem to be proof of that. To your point about hybrids I think that there would be tremendous benefit to trucks to go with hybrids. I know that I would like to have a hybrid drive on my DP motorhome and my next pickup. There is also a movement towards hybrid drives in mining equipment and some applications are going all electric.

Those are not the hurdles I am speaking of. Go back to my second post of this thread and you will see which ones I am speaking of which are a much bigger obstacle than objective driver opinion. Also, if you read my subsequent posts, you will see that pre-orders are a common thing in the medium/heavy duty trucking industry especially if it garners positive publicity and can be refunded.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
So inputting real world scenarios and costs into the convo is naysayer because it is not the sunshine and rainbows that you want to hear? Ya'll are doing the very same thing that you guys claim you know who is doing when he says fake news. Well, well, ya'll have something in common with him. Who 'da thunk it.....

No, you just sounded like my accountant who has problem for every solution, lol.

So what I am saying about the Tesla Semi in regards to how applicable it is in the medium/heavy duty industry and the associated cost is fake news? I didn't know I was talking to an industry expert. How may years have you been in the medium/heavy duty trucking industry?

It wasn't very long ago that "experts" were claiming that electric sports cars would never work. Now they dominate certain types of racing but not all. Some people will never buy an electric sports car because they love the engine roar and shifting gears more than going fast. Every type of racing has its own needs that have to be met. To each his own but I expect to see the same thing happen in trucks of all types. Some people will find that electric trucks meet their needs very well, some will find that they still need fossil fuel until the technology advances further and others will refuse to change because they just don't want to for personal reasons. Personally, I am going to wait until I need a vehicle and then evaluate what is out there and what best fits my needs and budget. I don't own an electric vehicle now but I have no intention becoming a Luddite either. I do expect some government entities to either outlaw ICE or just tax it out of existence. Probably not here in TN but some people will be forced to change.

I was not talking about the electric truck or electric race cars although most of the "experts" I have spoken with at the F1 races at our local COTA track have always said electric will find its way into race cars since they have been using hybrid units for a long time now. This was years before Formula E was even a thought.

My company also sponsors a NASCAR car, and even there they say electric hybrids will eventually make its way into the industry. So I am not sure if I would call those people you are referring to "experts".

However, what I am talking to Sam about is the semi truck, which is for a completely different type of customer than the pickup truck would be for. There are also different types of hurdles you have to jump through to charge a semi that requires almost twice the amount of energy an average home uses in a month to charge one truck in a short amount of time, than the hurdles of charging a car or pickup truck.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

So what I am saying about the Tesla Semi in regards to how applicable it is in the medium/heavy duty industry and the associated cost is fake news? I didn't know I was talking to an industry expert. How may years have you been in the medium/heavy duty trucking industry?

It wasn't very long ago that "experts" were claiming that electric sports cars would never work. Now they dominate certain types of racing but not all. Some people will never buy an electric sports car because they love the engine roar and shifting gears more than going fast. Every type of racing has its own needs that have to be met. To each his own but I expect to see the same thing happen in trucks of all types. Some people will find that electric trucks meet their needs very well, some will find that they still need fossil fuel until the technology advances further and others will refuse to change because they just don't want to for personal reasons. Personally, I am going to wait until I need a vehicle and then evaluate what is out there and what best fits my needs and budget. I don't own an electric vehicle now but I have no intention becoming a Luddite either. I do expect some government entities to either outlaw ICE or just tax it out of existence. Probably not here in TN but some people will be forced to change.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
There are already electric pickup trucks intended for hauling. They are not cheap. But at least one of them can do a 35% grade with a full load at highway speeds. Just how far it goes I do not remember--but for "normal" driving it was over 300 miles fully loaded.

The tipping point for new technologies is often considered to be 5% market share. There are over 1 million BEV's on the road in North America--and new sales have reached about 2.9% market share.

I'd not be buying any oil stocks. (In fact I sold all my (meager) holdings in the last 24 months.)

I believe that a Hyundai Kona would make an excellent toad with the ability to power the "house" needs. Range is over 290 miles.

They Isuzu ,are partnering with a local Australian EV builder to build a EV MDT. Volkswagen , I think you have heard of the name , will build it's last internal Combustion Architecture in 2026. After that in Europe and China, it will be a new EV based one. Outside of Europe and China they will be still be building Internal Combustion engines that burn , Diesel , Gas( LPG) and Petrol till possibly 2050

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
Tesla car, 1000 pound battery. Pickup truck more like 2000 pounds, kinda limits its pay load. Heck it would be overloaded with the average costco load.
Semi to make it useful I have read about 22,000 pounds of battery, again limits load like the pickup.

Musks rocket the fuel needed for landing limits it payload.

Whos got that 100 mpg carburetor?

I know a person who bought a Tesla, had to bite my tongue. Anyhow he can't understand why they don't have a generator to recharge the battery while its moving then he would not have to recharge it. I had no answer, just stared at him.

Wonder when an electric will start paying road tax?

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
My son works at Tesla and this is just a confirmation of what he told me in secret a few months ago that their lab was reverse-engineering several full size pick ups.

I have always read that Tesla is so technologically advanced compared to other manufacturers. What possibly could they need to reverse engineer?
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910