cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TC off truck

Just_Pete
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning,plan on long trip to Arizona my question can we sleep in camper off truck safely?
23 REPLIES 23

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Did frequently in my Lance 1121. We always lowered it and supported the floor with support jacks under 2x4s spanning under the floor at front and rear. Later we added a trapezoid unit under the front of the floor to stop the side to side wobble. Worked great.

Have not yet in my 1181, but will.

Dale
Dale & Rose Cavin, Marianna, FL
2004 Dodge Laramie dually , Cummins diesel
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:
2004 Lance 1121 (lost to hurricane Michael 10/10/18)

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
I've never been in a camper at a dealer that was supported in anyway other than the jacks.......
'06 X-cab Powerstroke Dually 4x4
'75 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful about putting anything in the middle.
Most of the floors is a frame with styrofoam fill between and then 5/16 plywood on both sides.
You don't want to put support under styrofoam.

Just_Pete
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Guys ; I will figure it out , put some treated 12x12s each corner , I can store them on bed of truck access compartment in each corner maybe one in middle .

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
Before our 2002 Lance 1130 we had a 1997 Lance 165, both campers were (in my opinion) too unstable to use off the truck without some support under the camper. I was not afraid of the camper toppling over front to back but side to side movement on the front jacks put stress on the jacks. EVERY time I took it off the truck I put some support under at least the front of the camper. I know just getting in and out you could see movement and stress being put on the front jacks. For me it wasn't worth it not to put some kind of support under the front to relieve the pressure on the front jacks

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2...support the floor....just the jacks are not enough to support movement. It is to much stress on just the corners moving around inside or if the wind is blowing. Same as if you stow it away..and are not using it...shore it up from underneath and give it a good base.

CoastieMike
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned a Northern Lite, Lance and several other older TC's and have always offloaded the campers.... just out them as low to the ground as possible.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
We've been doing it for decades. Our TC wasn't designed to be used off-truck, so we had to build additional floor structure for it, and always have supports under it when we use it. We carry it with us all the time...takes about 15 minutes to unload and setup.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anybody remember the plywood Xes we put under waterbeds?

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Your TC is a foot longer than mine which is a 1990 Lance..I do not trust the jacks..When I off load mine,I set it on 3 cinder blocks in each corner with a 2X12 across for support..If I was traveling and off loading,I would use those stack jacks with something simple across the front and rear of the floor for support(just incase)..

I have never had a floor issue with it off loaded using it regularly..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Idk the particular recommendations for that camper, but surely, you've accessed the inside of the camper while it was off the truck and sitting on jacks?
How did it feel? Stability?
Anything sagging underneath?
How well do the 20+ year old jacks work if you cycle them full height a bunch of times?
90% chance it's perfectly good with some simple support under the belly to help stabilize or take part of the load and might be fine with no additional support.
Someone with a similar model will likely reply now that we know what camper you're asking about.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Just_Pete
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for input My camper is 1997 Lance 8000 extended cab style , This is my first trip in truck camper in 35 years , My first camper was not this big or heavy . Hope this gives idea .

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Like said, depends on the camper, but worst case make a plywood โ€œXโ€ support or couple fold up saw horses and a sheet of plywood or similar.
Depending on where it is and how long staying determines how much I lower it even if using it off the truck.
But itโ€™s totally doable.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in my TC for a year off the truck. Just support the floor.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)