cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tandem axle vs single

Igotaname
Explorer
Explorer
What is the towing difference with the axle, tandem/single. Any advantages? Disadvantages? The only thing I can think of is if a tire blows out on a tandem at least you still can pull and your not on the side of the road.
30 REPLIES 30

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarneyS wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Snip... Blowing a tire, which will happenโ€ฆand to you, is another. Snip...

Not necessarily! I have been driving for 70 years, 50 of them towing a trailer of some kind, and have never had a blowout in all of those years. Only had one flat tire and had that changed in about 30 minutes.
Barney

I had 2 blowouts last June. One on my way to site and another on the way home. 1st one did $4500 worth of damage. Took it to RV shop 7/5/2021. All the parts needed just arrived about 2 weeks ago.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I've never pulled a single axle rv trailer but several single axle company cargo trailer used as on site tool trailers.
We finally convinced the company to do away with the all single axle trailers and go with tandem axles on anything over 14' long.
The benefits of a tandem axle trailer far out weighs a single axle trailer...JMO after pulling them for a living.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Merry Xmas Barney!
Thx for the deleteโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I greatly prefer single axle trailers. My rear tandem tires would pick up so many nails and screws, it was ridiculous. Plus double the cost for tire replacement.

I have had blowouts with both types. No big deal either way. No, the trailers were never in danger of tipping.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:

Not necessarily! I have been driving for 70 years, 50 of them towing a trailer of some kind, and have never had a blowout in all of those years. Only had one flat tire and had that changed in about 30 minutes.
Barney

What Lwiddis said. I haven't had a blowout, but I was at a campground waiting for a friend to arrive. I got a call, he was about 10 miles out and had lost the tread off of a trailer tire, shredding the tire. He had called AAA. I drove over there and put his spare on for him. If it was a single axle trailer, it would have been on the rim, or on its side.

Sure, single axle would end up with the rim hitting the ground.

BUT, the exact same thing WILL happen with dual axles.

Flatten a tire on a dual axle by taking the valve core out and you will see that rim drop the entire distance of the sidewall. Put a load on the trailer like the average RV'r does and that rim WILL be touching the ground. Dual axle suspension will attempt to equalize and will push the blown/missing tire of that axle down until the good tire hits the top of the suspension limit.

Remove the flat tire on dual axle and the drum will start hitting the pavement. It is for that reason one must "strap" and restrain the axle backup to "normal position" if one were to attempt to drive on with a missing tire.

As far as "tipping over" goes, you have bigger problems if your single axle trailer tips over with a 5" drop. Tire sidewall at most is 6" tall with air, no air that shrinks to about 5" (tread portion of tire thickness is nearly 1" including the rubber under the tread).

A single axle trailer with a flat is not going to tip over unless you do something dumb to help it over the center of gravity.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Tandem axle has less bounce, less sway.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarneyS wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:

Barney

What Lwiddis said. I haven't had a blowout, but I was at a campground waiting for a friend to arrive. I got a call, he was about 10 miles out and had lost the tread off of a trailer tire, shredding the tire. He had called AAA. I drove over there and put his spare on for him. If it was a single axle trailer, it would have been on the rim, or on its side.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why do some people think that a single axle trailer is going to tip over if you have a flat? I have been pulling single axle trailers for over 50 years and have never had a trailer do anything more that pull slightly to the side of the flat. When a tire goes flat (or blows out) the trailer only drops about 4 or 5 inches. The only way for it to be extremely dangerous is if you swerve when the tire goes flat.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Like said above, single axel is harder to back up as it responds much quicker. Dule axels are also more stable when set up then single ones. Other then that and being able to use a ramp to change a tire and stability when parked, there isnt much diffrence.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Barney, you are very lucky!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
It is all about GVWR. The manufacturer is going to put one axle for lighter trailers and two if the weight requires it. Towing is not different.

I have towed with both single and two axle, there is subtle differences in handling and ride.

Single axle trailers tend to be smaller shorter lengths than two axle trailers, length does affect towing handling and ride some. Very short trailers react faster to small changes.

Granted the single axle trailer I had was short at 12ft, and my shortest two axle is 18ft. Hands down the 18ft trailer was smoother and much easier handling tow than the 12' trailer.

The absolute worst tow was bringing my new log splitter home (6ft in length), that thing was hopping and jumping and swaying around all the way home.

As far as axle GVWR and capacity goes, they can easily put a single 10K lb axle in place of two 5,200 lbs axles if they wanted to.. They could put one single 4K lb axle in place of two 2K lb axles if they wanted to. Cost may play a role in the reasoning as to why the choice made, two lighter axles may pencil out a bit cheaper and lighter weight than one large heavy axle even figuring in costs of springs for each axle.

As far as blowouts, both will put you one the side of the road so one should always be prepared by carrying a spare tire. While it may be possible to take a flat tire off of a two axle and then go to the effort of strapping the side with the missing tire, it is not a good idea as you will most likely overload the mating tire on that side putting more stress on the other tires and axles.. I suspect a strapped axle without a tire might attract some attention from the police that you may not want.

As far as towing handling and ride goes from my experience, I would give two axle a slight edge over single axle.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
It is all about GVWR. The manufacturer is going to put one axle for lighter trailers and two if the weight requires it. Towing is not different.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:

Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Cargo capacity is one advantage. Many single axle TTs have just a few hundred pounds of cargo capacity after you load water, propane and batteries. Blowing a tire, which will happenโ€ฆand to you, is another. Easy to run the inflated tire up a ramp and change the bad one. I would never buy a single axle TT.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Usually a lot more cargo capacity.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch