cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking Break and Starting Over

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I sold my dream combo, 2016 Ford F350 dually gas/2012 Lance 830 to refocus on some home improvement projects that I never seem to have money for. So I will be tenting for about a year or so, and will hopefully have a chance to start over.

I seem to be trending toward smaller/lighter/less/better mpg, etc. I absolutely loved the dually, but in this state, taxes and registration keep going up, and I got tired of sending more and more to the big G, so am on a mission to cut expenses drastically to keep more of what we earn, while maintaining lifestyle.

I still favor truck campers for their versatility and low (none) registration costs, but am thinking of other possibilities, all of which are very minimal. Perhaps a cargo trailer conversion or even a low cost pop-up for local camping. I think the cargo trailer conversion would be a fun project.

What would you do if you sold everything and started over?
Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML
18 REPLIES 18

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the ironies of living in Seattle is that a bigger truck is much cheaper to license than a smaller truck. Anything over 6,000 pounds is considered commercial and doesn't have to pay the transit taxes. I save many $$$$ per year with my F350 DRW

Mattyd
Explorer
Explorer
I would likely go from a dually long bed to a single rear wheel 1 ton short bed. Go from a hard side with a slide to a Northstar 850 pop up truck camper. Would give the Tacoma and a 4 Wheel a strong consideration.
2016 AF 990
2013 Ram 3500 Dually, Crew Cab, 4x4 CTD
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Torklift StableLoads & Fastguns
2014 Rubicon Unlimited

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^I've ridden in the old cabover myself 30 years ago. Taking turns sleeping and driving with friends on hunting trips. The wife....she's not going to do that. I'm trying to think if she has even been in the Bigfoot since we got it a year ago. Maybe once. So far it's been just me traveling in the Bigfoot for fishing. That's what I got it for.
I've found a website that has the state rules about riding in a RV. I must have saved it on my iPad.
When I rode in the camper years ago, we just did it. Didn't know if it was legal or not, didn't care. From Houston to Pagosa Springs, CO., there was always one of three us sleeping.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Well just me starting over....Ram dually & Bigfoot 10.4.
The wife would want a MH so she can get up and move around underway.
But I'm not getting anything different for a while. Our son is buying 15 acres in the country and when he builds a home I'll build a barn or carport for a new RV to store at his place.

She can do that in your Bigfoot (at least here in Michigan you can) and a number of other states as well. Not sure about Texas.

When I had my Lance, my wife would ride in the cabin over bunk and watch the scenery go by...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Well just me starting over....Ram dually & Bigfoot 10.4.
The wife would want a MH so she can get up and move around underway.
But I'm not getting anything different for a while. Our son is buying 15 acres in the country and when he builds a home I'll build a barn or carport for a new RV to store at his place.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I am the second owner of my Bigfoot TC. I bought it in 2004. With the exception of last year, it has never been under cover. It did sit under an Oak tree at least seven years that I know of just before I bought it. It could have been longer. I had a leak in the caulking in two windows several years ago. I re-caulked all windows as well as the rest of the TC. I found no dry rot. I believe the molded fiberglass greatly reduces the potential for leaks. I have owned stick TCs.

As for my '04 Dodge (104000 miles), if it does as well as my '96, I will be tickled. It has about 250000 miles, and the only repairs have been radiator, timing gear seal and transmission.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know how you protect your camper Wayne, buy last winter in CA was very harsh on mine 2002 model.
It was still holding OK when we drove from CA, but once it dried out in Las Vegas, what took several weeks, the soaked wood started turning into dust and only aluminium skeleton hold it together.
So if you keep your 1988 camper outdoor, you have to have some issues.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
I would get a used truck that I could afford, like a 2004 Dodge 4x4 DRW, ($20000) and a 1988 Bigfoot TC ($8000 loaded). Now that I think about it, that is what I have. Not new, but affordable.

Not at all creative on your part. I would imagine that your '88 Bigfoot has no issues either. The dodge is probably another story....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I would get a used truck that I could afford, like a 2004 Dodge 4x4 DRW, ($20000) and a 1988 Bigfoot TC ($8000 loaded). Now that I think about it, that is what I have. Not new, but affordable.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Sounds to me like SidecarFlip is planning marriage separation?
I would not buy anything shorter than 11' with min 1 slide.
Just in process of switching from one 11-6 to another 11-9 and DW complains that newer camper has no basement storage.

My wife thinks it's just fine. We are both minimalist RV'ers anyway.

I would not even have a toilet / shower if it wasn't for her. I can do the outside shower thing, don't bother me being nude and washing. If people want to look, so be it. We all have the same stuff anyway.

Some of us have more 'manufacturing defects' than others, but don't bother me at all.

I don't need a big camper. If I was to go that route for some reason, I'd buy a pull behind or a 5er. No matter how big the TC is, there is always a room issue and then comes the weight issue too.

Light is right for us. Having said that, everyone is different.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me like SidecarFlip is planning marriage separation?
I would not buy anything shorter than 11' with min 1 slide.
Just in process of switching from one 11-6 to another 11-9 and DW complains that newer camper has no basement storage.
Even the new camper has convenient side door, where she tested back steps on old one with her behind.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
If I did it over, I'd get even lighter than I am right now. I'd buy a Toyota Tacoma 4x4, remove the bed (and sell it of course), buy a flatbed for it and set on a Four Wheel Camper Grandby.

It would have a compressor (Danfoss) fridge, Thetford cassette toilet, cold weather package and deluxe European style interior with aluminum outside siding (not Filon).

Basically, a go anywhere package (go anywhere that is sane), excellent fuel mileage, low upkeep and a unit that is built with quality in mind (one at a time using quality components and skilled labor).

Michigan is like California. The bigger the truck the more it costs to plate and the higher the taxes are.

I like Four Wheel Campers for another reason besides resale and longevity, no external tie downs at all. FWC has a proprietary tie down system. Everything is either in the bed (with a conventional bed truck) or with a flat bed, still on the bed, not down the side with external tie downs.

My second choice would be a conventional truck (3/4 ton) with an Alaskan. But I like the FWC Grandby the most.

My dream camper.

Having owned a Lance for years and then going to a pop up with full toilet and shower (for the wife), I was utterly amazed and just how much better the unit 'feels'. I don't even know it's back there and my mileage with the diesel is 19 on the road (in 2wd).

No wind resistance and no side buffeting.

They are so easy to set up, takes all of 30 seconds (after levelling it of course and my Palomino has more head room (raised) than my Lance had. The Alaskan and the Grandby are both PUP's. I'm sold on that type of camper.

Makes storage in the off season a piece of cake too. It fits in the garage. No external shelter needed.

I'll never go back to a hard side unit
2015 Backpack SS1500

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Move out of California.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I could consider a cargo conversion but a small TT would be easier. I'd also consider a 3/4 or one ton extended body van but depending on where you travel it has no holding tanks which are required in some blm areas. Tax friendly state is a must.