cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Takes guts to post video like this.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
This is about 5-er, but long TC have tail swing as well.

Crunched camper video.
24 REPLIES 24

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Just like 98% of other things people do in their lives.
Go on youotube and do a search for
"idiot Corvette drivers"...
or "I don't know what an inverter is."
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
It happens.. I too just had a major error in judgement with my rig.. Been backing this and a prior trailer on the side yard of my house for over 18 years... Never an issue.. Until I did it this last time and hitting the effing house and busted out a window! DOH...

I saw it happening, yet I still thought I could correct it..

No spotter.. Never really had one in all these years either..

Got to complacent and just effed up!

I know what I did wrong and now will have a spotter and not do what I did again!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
......... Not everyone has the skills to do this.
Flame suit on.

Just like 98% of other things people do in their lives.
Go on youotube and do a search for
"idiot Corvette drivers"
"idiot bulldozer operators"
"road rage"
The couple posting the video already added next 1 with aftermath.
$25k for the repair and long weeks staying without their primarily house.
Comparing to other thread here about insurance - they say hotel insurance on RV is often overlooked.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Does this stuff actually interest people? Is it any excuse to publish a video?

I donโ€™t get it. Sure something really dramatic, suspenseful, total failโ€ฆbasically something interesting to watch.
Do people really GAF if Fred and Ethel put a whisky dent in their camper. โ€œOmg I think itโ€™s totaled.โ€

โ€œOmg, youโ€™re a dumb @ss, get off YouTube and call your insurance companyโ€ฆ.โ€

I had a fender bender a couple weeks ago. Last thought that crossed my mind was videoing the aftermath and putting it on u tube!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Next week's episode will be on looking up.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You always have to remember. You have 2 ends to think about. and the honest truth is. EVEN had he missed the post. He would still have dragged the tires across the curb, and taken out the tree. There was no possible way he had room to do what he wanted to do. They put themselves into a lose, lose situation.

And I'm sorry to say this. But after watching the video, and seeing their past. I have got to say. Not everyone has the skills to do this.
Flame suit on.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
In 2009 I moved from a 27 foot to a 28 foot 5 inch RV. The next 3 years I had 4 tail swing accidents. Knock on wood I've not had another accident since 2012.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
azdryheat wrote:
If you're towing with a diesel there is absolutely no reason to drag your 5th wheel into any gas station **IF** you have an extra tank in your bed. I'm extreme with a 90 gallon tank good for about 900 towing miles but I'm sure 40 gal would work just as well.

I park my trailer for the night. Wife starts dinner while I go off, sans trailer, to fill up. My point is to never take your trailer to a gas station.

That's one way, and if your comfortable with it, sweet option. I can't imagine it though. Especially since I cook 1/2 the time, lol.

Seriously, pick one's stations better, plan ahead a bit, learn to drive better. I dunno, but dropping a trailer to fill up every time seems a bit extreme to me..but then I have to fill up often..only have 74 gallons.

I didn't watch the whole video (it's not that interesting..to loooong) but gas stations aren't what most of us would call tight spots. Tail swing is a thing for sure; back to planning ahead I guess.

I pulled into a one today that had 6 or seven nozzels bagged. Had to take a first in line for the diesel, which left the trailer hanging out in the parking lot jacked. To leave, because of the tight turn to get the rig close enough to the pump, I had to back up about 6 ft. Had the wife already back there to check the blind spot on the trailer. IF, she wasn't with me, I'd have gone for the second, or third, or fourth option. Done it myself, waited and picked the pump on the far island, or gone down the road to the next station.

Reference the vid, stuff happens, lessons learned, and good for them for posting for a gentle reminder to all of us. Food for thought for driving, insurance issues, and personal relationship communications.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
They have a follow up vid on their adventure now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35g5j6-u2a4

They are much more patient than I would be....
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
If you're towing with a diesel there is absolutely no reason to drag your 5th wheel into any gas station **IF** you have an extra tank in your bed. I'm extreme with a 90 gallon tank good for about 900 towing miles but I'm sure 40 gal would work just as well.

I park my trailer for the night. Wife starts dinner while I go off, sans trailer, to fill up. My point is to never take your trailer to a gas station.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
And she had a crash 7 years earlier. Tends to make me lean in a particular direction of thought.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
They have a follow up vid on their adventure now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35g5j6-u2a4
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Longshore
Explorer
Explorer
I did wide long and heavy transport for a few years and learned all about tail swing. Dips can ruin your day also. The list is long lol...

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Nearly 500,000 views. And it sounds like they have at least had some near misses before. I'm sure this wasn't done on purpose, but it will build their "influencer" presence.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010