cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge protector

elm3420
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. I am looking for some information about surge protectors. I am looking to possibly buy one that plugs into the shore power outside. I havenโ€™t ever had one in the past, but the guy that did our walk through suggested it, so I thought I would check it out. I am looking for information about which are the best ones and if I really need one. As always thank you for all your comments.
Eddie, LeAnne, Hayden & Kaleb
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab w/ 5.7 Hemi VVT
2009 Flagstaff Super Lite 27BHSS ran into by a deer
2023 Jayco Jay Flight 265RLS
14 REPLIES 14

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
WayneAt63044 wrote:
So far all the responses are from folks who recommend using such. In 30 years of RVing around the country I never needed one. Ran into a few pedestals that were worn or had no ground but never a major issue that put my trailer or contents at risk. A surge protector will not survive a direct lightning strike as it just isn't stout enough to handle all the Joules in a lightning bolt. Check with an independent electrician for perhaps a different opinion from those who sell power protection. Do you have such for your whole house? Have you needed it?

Ours has helped us around a dozen times. most were open ground, which by itself isn't a huge issue.

However it has tripped on low voltage several times. when the line voltage dropped to <100V, low enough to be a big issue with an AC.

as for whole house, not the same issue. House is not going one day have reversed hot/neutral and be correct the next day. Nor is it going to have 240V to 110 outlets one day and not the next. And is way less likely to have low voltage or high voltage.

But the above can and do happen at campground pedestals.

Surge. well yes it can have that
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

elm3420
Explorer
Explorer
I want everyone to know that I really appreciate everyoneโ€™s comments. I have decided to purchase a EMS-PT30-X. Thanks again for all the comments
Eddie, LeAnne, Hayden & Kaleb
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab w/ 5.7 Hemi VVT
2009 Flagstaff Super Lite 27BHSS ran into by a deer
2023 Jayco Jay Flight 265RLS

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
So far all the responses are from folks who recommend using such. In 30 years of RVing around the country I never needed one. Ran into a few pedestals that were worn or had no ground but never a major issue that put my trailer or contents at risk. A surge protector will not survive a direct lightning strike as it just isn't stout enough to handle all the Joules in a lightning bolt. Check with an independent electrician for perhaps a different opinion from those who sell power protection. Do you have such for your whole house? Have you needed it?
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
elm3420 wrote:
I am looking to possibly buy one that plugs into the shore power outside.

I've been using this one for several years and it has served me well.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
The PI HW50C has a bypass switch on the remote, but then no protection!

a) as long as one remembers to turn it back one when done. (Likely I'd forget
b) bonding plug is quick and easy and can be left on the generator
c) and must remember to turn the bypass switch on.

But all that said, a few times I did forget my bonding plug and the bypass switch is then handy.

Chances of a fault with most generators is way less than a problem with the pedestal power plug, but still not zero.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:

The Ground/Neutral bond plug can be made for $3, or bought for $10. Keep the protection. Generators CAN fail. (After the warranty expired, I opened my inverter generator and bonded the back of the receptacle itself.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
to the OP

one thing to know. If the EMS won't allow power if it finds an open ground, and you are trying to power the trailer from an external generator the EMS likely won't apply power. Most portable generators don't have a ground/neutral bond, so ground looks open. you will need to either (a) disconnect or bypass the EMS or(b) make a grounding plug for the generator. an "empty" plug where internally ground and neutral are tied together and the plug put into one of the generator outlets.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huge advantage to the PI HW50C is the inside remote display and field replaceable parts. Continuous display of volts and amps plus 11 faults. No need to go outside and stare at the pedestal.

Installed in prior MH in 2004 and one month later shut down the rig with 160V. No issues in 19 years.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Go with hard wired. No messing around with pedestal and chance of theft.

Progressive EMS-HW50C here.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't plug in without one. Get an EMS as they provide more protection than just a surge protector. Progressive Industries and Hughes Power Watchdog are both I would consider.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Receptacles in campgrounds get pretty worn. I have seen some ugly electricals. We've been using a plug in protector 15 years and it's saved me several times. Has tripped from lightening strikes nearby and poor neutral connections, low voltage, etc. Cheap insurance IMO.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
First off, I consider them to be โ€œ insurance โ€œ . Every time we go camping the first thing I do is plug in my surge protector/ EMS. Then I plug plug in my shore power cord . We have never had any problems, but you never know when the first time will be. Next, is it worth it? Is your house insurance worth it? Is your car insurance worth it? Only you can decide that. I suggest you get the best one you can afford.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
you have a couple of choices
a) a surge protector ONLY. will protect against very high voltage surges
b) A EMS (electric dmonitor system) which usually has

surge protector
low voltage protection. won't turn on if voltage is low, around 100V
high voltage protection. disconnects if voltage goes above a certain level, around 130V
open ground protection. won't connect if it detects an open ground
open neutral protects against a plug with an open neutral
hot/neutral reverse. protects against a plug with hot an neutral reversed
on 30A units usually protection against accidental connection to 240V miswire

The above won't allow poewr to the trailer if any of the above occur. Usually takes about 15 seconds before they will allow connection as it checks for all the above.

Are they worth it? depends. However ours has on multiple occasions showed an open ground on the pedistal, usually on a pretty worn out 30A plug,

And has shut off on rare occasions when voltage dropped below the 100ish limit. protects the AC Motors don't like low voltage, (a) counterintuative but current increases as voltage decreases. max power drops, heating problems.

Personally a surge protector only is not something I would go for. EMS yes.

progressive industries has several and there are other companies as well that sell them.