cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Duty Backup Assist - Fifth Wheel

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Found this interesting a Super Duty utilizing the Back Up assist feature on a fifth wheel. There's a couple in a camping group that use this feature and swear by it. Go to 7:35 for the action.

Enjoy...

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
32 REPLIES 32

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
fail

Using the old system with the stickers placed on the hitch has its limitations. Half way through the turn the system starts dinging and I had to take over control. I pulled out and tried again and the same thing happened. On level ground this seldom happens but it seems as though on uneven ground the sticker must get too far out of a programmed range of view. This doesn’t happen with the new angle sensor on the fifth wheel.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ Sorry, I read the “no expert” and “pulling ahead a little often” in your post and thought you might want to get a little better. I’m pretty sure if you took the time to practice a bit with the PTBA you’d appreciate it.
B&W Companion

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord - thanks, I’m plenty happy with my backing abilities
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ If after 20 years of towing you’re still having to “pull ahead a little often” I would say you’re not going to get proficient at backing without either getting some instruction or possibly giving up on manually backing your trailer and start using your Pro Trailer Backup Assist. 15 or 20 minutes of practicing with PTBA should be enough to get you backing like a pro.
B&W Companion

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 2022 F350 earlier this year including all the bells and whistles. I installed the rear camera, and the yaw sensor etc. I’ve pulled RV trailers for 20yrs, including close to 100k miles with 5ers over the last 8yrs. I won’t say that I’m an expert backing, but am comfortable backing even if I pull forward a little often.

The calibration of the Ford system is trivial. I’ve been traveling the last two months (about 5k miles) after installing it. During that time I think I’ve used the backup system 4 times: first to calibrate it; next to try it on a real camping spot; two other times partially, wanting to like it but abandoning it part way through. I’ve found it more cumbersome than just backing like I’m already familiar with.

With that said, I do think there are two things that it might have to offer if I can learn to integrate them with my normal backing routine and get used to them. 1) the yaw sensor provides an indication for the angle of 5er to truck, and when this angle exceeds where you’ll be able to ‘follow’ the 5er. 2) when you get the 5er straight how you want it, the backup system will automatically ‘follow’ if you just take your hands off of everything (I think this might be useful backing into something tight at an angle, I think…)

Still, over the last couple months I find I have to force myself to try and use it, and then abandon it and back in like I already know how anyway. I do like all of the cameras though and find myself pushing buttons to see what’s behind the 5er, as well as what’s all around the truck (360 view showing front wheel cut by trees and rocks) as I back it.

Bottom line: love the cameras, think the backup system might have some promise in incremental ways (IF I can force myself past the learning curve to get used to it…)
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
wrogers wrote:
The backup assist harness and sensor came with my 2021 F450. I installed it to my 5th wheel but did not use it. It has to be calibrated to your particular trailer and is done by going to an open area and driving and turning with it when it says to do so. The issue I found is locating an area that is open enough to be able go straight, turn and so on when it says to do so without parking stops or other vehicles in the way.
I have actually removed it and just back up the old fashioned way and don't have any problems. But then again I used to drive a tractor trailer and have had plenty of practice.
Perhaps if I can locate an area suitable for calibration I may try it just to see how it is. I think it would take a bit of getting used to using a small knob to steer rather than the steering wheel.

Calibrating doesn’t require much space …. a quiet street provides ample room. Calibrating it takes about 10 seconds.
B&W Companion

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My God what's next they will come up with a way to wipe your......oh yea they already have. 😉

2015 called. They want their crotchety old man comment back. 😉

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
dblr wrote:
Not sure it makes it any easier backing up still took him multiple times, to me I would rather control the trailer myself, now I was a tractor trailer driver and also a yard jockey for 2 major companies, so my backing skills are pretty good, and this is just my opinion.

Yeah, I saw the video a couple weeks ago. Seemed like just a different process to learn rather than a better process.

I'm sure if I used it regularly, it would become second nature but that's how it is backing manually.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My God what's next they will come up with a way to wipe your......oh yea they already have. 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
In the video they show a device that is bolted to the fifth wheel and plugs into a receptacle in the bed.

Yep, my 2021 F150 has a wired yaw sensor that I mounted on the trailer and then when to a large parking lot to calibrate it. I have heard however that they are going back to the old system. I use mine from time to time, however it is an insult to my truck driving years back in the late 1970's.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

wrogers
Explorer
Explorer
The backup assist harness and sensor came with my 2021 F450. I installed it to my 5th wheel but did not use it. It has to be calibrated to your particular trailer and is done by going to an open area and driving and turning with it when it says to do so. The issue I found is locating an area that is open enough to be able go straight, turn and so on when it says to do so without parking stops or other vehicles in the way.
I have actually removed it and just back up the old fashioned way and don't have any problems. But then again I used to drive a tractor trailer and have had plenty of practice.
Perhaps if I can locate an area suitable for calibration I may try it just to see how it is. I think it would take a bit of getting used to using a small knob to steer rather than the steering wheel.
2021 F450 4WD
2019 Heritage Glen 356 QB

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
In the video they show a device that is bolted to the fifth wheel and plugs into a receptacle in the bed.

My son has this setup on his 2022 Superduty , not sure if he's used it on his new fifth wheel, he will be here in Montana with us tomorrow , will have to see if he's used it .

Report back if he tried it and if he like's it or not.

Will do .

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

My son has this setup on his 2022 Superduty , not sure if he's used it on his new fifth wheel, he will be here in Montana with us tomorrow , will have to see if he's used it .

Report back if he tried it and if he like's it or not.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
The system works very well. A person with no backing skills would find it much easier to get the hang of backing a trailer up using the pro trailer backup assist vs manually backing up a trailer and I think most skilled drivers could likely learn to back up better using PTBA than backing without it. However it is slow …. I think the top speed it will back up a trailer is about 3 mph. If you ever came across a situation where you needed to back up a long distance it would be tedious.
B&W Companion