cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUMMO SPRINGS added...Your Experiences

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
My 2012 F350 4x4 Supercab has lots of suspension upgrades and does a very good job of hauling my 2011 Eagle Cap 950.....the front end, even though I have added the extra heavy-duty front sway bar and Rancho 9000 shocks never seems solid instead seems to dive into bumps pretty harshly.
So yesterday I added 1500 pound rated SUMO Springs front axle bumpers. The puny yellow FORD MoCo bumpers are gone now and when inspected look as if they have never contacted the Axle.

I won't be on the road with the Truck and Camper for at least another month.

I am very curious what others might have so say experience-wise with SUMO SPRINGS????

Look forward to hearing from you all.
GARY
HAM RADIO Operator since 1964 'W7FSI'
EAGLE CAP 2011 950 CUSTOM BUILT by the great folks at LaGrande Oregon
2012 FORD 350 XLT 6.7L Diesel 4x4 Super Cab with lots of stuff
14 REPLIES 14

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Stiffening front suspension when you have heavy load on rear axle will worsen the handling.
Law of physics.

Yes and no. While I doubt the initial spring rate “needs” to be any stiffer, the camper could be adding load to an already-heavy front end.
Weight transfer when braking or when turning and the whole truck rolls to one side could be improved by sumos if set up correctly and at the same time, not affect initial spring rate.
It’s something I considered on the old truck as adding a heavier front sway bar, like any sway bar, also has its subtle disadvantages in handling by making a solid axle even more solid and the characteristics that come with that.

OP could report how it acts empty.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Stiffening front suspension when you have heavy load on rear axle will worsen the handling.
Law of physics.

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Have them on my truck & camper, I feel it helps the ride on both

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
billtex wrote:
Gadwall,

I am curious as I never used Sumos.

Are the Sumos longer than the OE front bumpstops?

We put a set on the back of our 2008 F250.

The OEM bumpstops are not intended to come into contact unless you bottom out the suspension. In normal use, they should never come into play.

The Sumosprings go in their place and are significantly taller (I believe it was 7" vs 3").

When installed on ours, the suspension has to compress about an inch before they come into contact and they are progressive (at first they provide little support and then it ramps up as you compress more). This means when lightly loaded, they don't feel as harsh if you do hit a bump.

They did come with an optional spacer, so they would always be in contact even when lightly loaded and thus provide more (not necessarily better) support.

We chose them over air bags as there is basically nothing to fail. The downside is you can't adjust on the fly but we are towing not carrying a truck camper. Installation is easy, 1 bolt to remove the old bump stop (the biggest challenge if the truck isn't newish) and 1 bolt to put the new spring on.

Front coil springs are a bit different design and we didn't get those.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting. Do you also have the snow plow package on your truck? The heavier springs would help.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
ggadwa, I will be looking forward to your experience with the SUMO's. We plan to purchase a Lance 1172 next spring. I want to set my truck as good as I can. We plan a lot road miles.
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
Bill,
The SUMO Front Axle Bumper is considerably larger than the little yellow stock one. The SUMO Spring bumper sits right on the Axle without the Camper even lowered onto the truck. My 6.7 Diesel plus the Camper does put considerable weight on the frontend. I am so anxious to see what the rig acts like with the upgrade.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ole Kayteg got the delete button! That’s harsh....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I see Dakota on the list but not Durango? It's a 2005 Hemi.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gadwall,

I am curious as I never used Sumos.

Are the Sumos longer than the OE front bumpstops?

Does your TC actually transfer weight to the front axles?

Thx, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I had them on my Tacoma Off Road & was pleased with them. I don't need them for my current combination.

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
Shawn,
Thanks for the positive comments on SUMO Springs for the rear. I have Timbren SES on the Rear essentially the same as SUMO. I didn't know about SUMO Springs back in 2012 when I installed the Hellwig Big Wigs Front and Rear at the same time I installed the Timbren's in the rear. I had Air Bags on the previous two trucks...Never again!!!! I am anxious to see how the SUMO's in front work out.

Thanks Again,
GARY

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Have you weighed the front and back axles fully loaded?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had Sumo springs on the rear of our 2013 F350 crew cab for years. Been very pleased - way better than air bags IMHO. The Igloo puts us right at our GVWR when loaded and the Sumo springs pick up the sag so we ride level. Added a Hellwig Big Wig sway bar and we go down the road not only level but with no sway either.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired