cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suburban water heater won't get hot

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Solved this one myself but figure I'd post here in case anyone else has a similar problem. If your Suburban water heater will light, stay fired, but won't get the water hot it's the thermostat. If running on propane check for +12-14V on the input of both the thermostat and the over temp relief switch, if they're both present but there's no voltage on the output side of the thermostat then it's dead. The thermostat is behind the reset panel and looks like this:

Check for voltage on the side with the spade connectors referenced to the case and then opposite that on connectors connected to the commoning rod. Btw there's a part of the startup sequence where there's no voltage on the input side so if you don't get a reading wait 15-30 seconds and try again.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH
2 REPLIES 2

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Um, I was following the guide from the manufacturer. Part came in today, now have 13V on the right side of both switches and the water heater is working correctly.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not exactly......
You see if no DC voltage thru the set of t-stats...no DC to circuit board
No DC to circuit board....No DC to gas valve/spark electrode...no lighting of flame/no heating of water

With switch ON.DC goes from switch to High temp t-stat then thru connecting wire to normal temp t-stat.
If Normal temp t-stat opens (130*F) then DC will not go to circuit board and heating cycle shuts down...but you will still have DC up to normal temp t-stat (constant)

If normal temp t-stat FAILS...then water overheats and High temp t-stat opens (170*F) shutting down DC to normal t-stat/circuit board.
High temp t-stat has to be manually reset....but you will still have DC to High temp t-stat (constant)

Flame ON..water not hot??
Either water heater is bypassed or empty
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31