cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban SW6DE questions

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
Does the switch inside the trailer work both gas and electric depending on where the electric switch is on outside? Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, the outside switch only turns on or off the electric element and has no effect on gas.

In addition to the gas on/off switch inside, some RV's have another inside switch for electric which is connected in series with the outside one (both need to be on). Others, like mine, hardwire the electric so the outside switch is the only way to turn on/off electric.

You can also run gas and electric simultaneously for faster warm up. In this case an either/or switch wouldn't make sense.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
So as to not confuse things here, do you have one switch or two inside the trailer for the water heater?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Appears it could be either. Mine is electric only switched at the water heater and propane only switched in the trailer.

Should be an easy test to figure out what runs what from where though. All it requires is knowing what hot water feels like vs cold.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
Suburban heaters unually have a switch on the unit that can be turned off so that if you accidently turn on the switch inside when the unit is empty it won't burn out the electric element. In everyone that I have seem, there is, also, an electric switch inside. As mentioned, there's a separate switch for the propane heater.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have just one WH switch inside the trailer that is for propane operation only. The switch for electric operation is a manually operated switch attached to the front of water heater.