cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck zippers.

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
No, I'm not talking about my pants. I just bought a decent older pop up that actually has good canvas. most of the cheaper ones I looked at were pretty bad. I don't mind doing some work as I can make it my own and do some things that work better such as some latches like we use at work to hold the top down.

My first challenge is to get the zippers on the canvas working better. I'm going to try and find some paraffin wax to rub on the zippers. I learned this trick back in the 60's with an early style camper that had canvas. If I can't find any (I haven't seen it in years but I haven't been looking.) what is a good ersatz replacement? I may only use this camper a few times per year but at $1000 and in decent shape, I couldn't pass it up.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.
18 REPLIES 18

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
bondebond wrote:
Bleach will indeed hasten the deterioration of the material. People hand-washing and rinsing the insides of a PUP cannot remove all of the bleach and therein lies the problem.

I have had good luck with Iosso Mold and Mildew Stain Remover. It is designed for woven materials (primarily sails for sailboats) and is non-toxic, doesn't smell (important when you are inside a PUP) and is biodegradable. I googled a supplier and have been quite pleased with it.

The RV dealer has some dedicated cleaner to remove mildew stains. What little I got to use worked pretty good. Unfortunately, I just spent two weeks in the cardiac unit and may need to sell the trailer and some other toys to pay my part of huge medical bill. The trailer, at least one, possibly two of my vehicles and possibly my motorcycle will need to go to make my portion of the bill.
Honk if you love Jesus.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
We've tried the wax thing with OK results. Recently I tried using a wax-based bike chain lube like White Lightning. Goes all the way in between the teeth rather than just on the outer surface. Downside might be it soaks a little into the zipper material. It goes on as a liquid but dries to a wax sheen that covers all the surfaces of the teeth of the zipper. A much smoother operation than just using a paraffin wax. There aren't enough o's in smooooooth to describe how the zips work now.

As far as tires and blowouts, we never tow over 65 mph. Even in Utah where the interstate speed is now 80. Yeah, we're slower than many, but we stay in the right lane.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

fmattox73
Explorer
Explorer
I've always found that the same item hat you use to make sewn seams water resistant ( A Wax Candle ) also can be used for smoothing a zippers operation.

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
Bleach will indeed hasten the deterioration of the material. People hand-washing and rinsing the insides of a PUP cannot remove all of the bleach and therein lies the problem.

I have had good luck with Iosso Mold and Mildew Stain Remover. It is designed for woven materials (primarily sails for sailboats) and is non-toxic, doesn't smell (important when you are inside a PUP) and is biodegradable. I googled a supplier and have been quite pleased with it.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
Good thinking on both the tires and bleach. We've had two flats on one trip using the tires that came with our older trailer. After that, I carried two spares. A "Yankee" sewing awl and a piece of canvas came with our old Bonair, and I used it to patch.
Adventure before dementia

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
I've got most of the zippers moving smoothly. That one stuck one is still stuck though. Now I'm cleaning this puppy. What's something good to remove mildew stains on the inside of the canvas? I'm worried that bleach water may cause deterioration on the canvas. Except for a few sewn spots, it's in pretty good shape.
Honk if you love Jesus.

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
I've started cleaning this puppy and I suspect it's a good 5 pounds lighter after washing the greenish dirt off it.

I got some new tires for it on wheels just to make sure and these are about 3 inches taller next to the old ones. The new ones say "high speed" so the larger diameter may make blow outs a little less likely. I would have thought that tires marked "5.30X12" would all be the same size. I've never been comfortable with small tires on the interstate highways.
Honk if you love Jesus.

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
Old toothbrush works good to clean with before lube.

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
A kids crayon works also.

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
wd 40 now has a dry graphite type lube.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Jeep Soft Top Zipper Lube/Cleaner

It's designed for outdoor use. There are several types of lubes available. Yes, it costs a little more than a bar of soap or piece of wax.

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
alot of stores still have the paraffin wax . Its usually with the canning supplies or on top shelf above the jello yea thats a weird place i know..
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can also try windex. It works well for a lot of things and doesn't contain oils, etc., that can harm the canvas.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sprayed WD40 on a tent trailer zipper that I used to have and it made them work very smoothly.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata