cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Street eagle Side by Sides.

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
So this may or may not be the correct forum for this but seeing that most of us TC people enjoy and haul our "toys" I'll post here. I am currently making my Yamaha side by side street eagle and plating it here in Ohio and was wondering if I'm legal, plated and insured in Ohio if that's going to be fine in other states. I'm a photographer and want to be able to come off jeep trails into town and also travel back roads in National Parks and Forest lands. I of course will be not traveling highways and interstates, just local and back roads.

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
British Columbia was one of the last provinces to bring in mandatory registration. The problem here was that it had become a dumping ground for stolen atv's, they could be bought and sold with no records shown. Plus it's another cash cow.

Bedlam
My vehicle is fully street plated and you can buy the Orieon which is also plated. If you have to add or modify the vehicle to get it plated, you are better off going the route of a special construction vehicle classification and get it certified.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
JRscooby wrote:
adamis wrote:
Welcome to the US government where government bureaucracy has confiscated our rights and selling them back to us one license and permit at a time...

Which amendment gives you the right to drive any vehicle on the road?
In MO, some counties have no issue with sensible operation of ATVs on the roads. Others, you will have issues. In towns or cities, will not work. Tourist areas? No. But if you live in a farming area, it looks like they are treated like tractors, because farmers work with them.

The constitution is about limits on the government, not limits on the people. Your question is reversed, it isn't about what amendment gives me the right to drive any vehicle on the road, the question is what amendment gives the government the authority to demand all vehicles be registered? Certainly horses and buggies weren't registered back in the day, so why must a motor vehicle?

Granted registration is a state issue, not federal but the point remains. What use does vehicle registration actually serve for owners? Is it a registry for proof of ownership? Ensuring the vehicle passes smog? Paying of highway taxes? Sure, these might be beneficial to both individual and state but then all of these reasons happen to come with a "fee" or "tax" of some sort that have very little to do with the functional aspect of driving a vehicle down a road.

The founding fathers likely would have laughed their tails off if someone then had suggested they add a requirement in the Constitution that all horses and buggies needed to be registered, smogged (they want to do it with cows, don't think horses aren't next) and insured before you go ride down the public right of way...

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
adamis wrote:
Welcome to the US government where government bureaucracy has confiscated our rights and selling them back to us one license and permit at a time...

Which amendment gives you the right to drive any vehicle on the road?
In MO, some counties have no issue with sensible operation of ATVs on the roads. Others, you will have issues. In towns or cities, will not work. Tourist areas? No. But if you live in a farming area, it looks like they are treated like tractors, because farmers work with them.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad

The irony of this is that you can build and register your own vehicle that likely wouldn't be as safe as a mass produced product like side by sides. I suppose the justification is that in exchange for not having to insure ATVs and UTVs like highway vehicles we agree to keep them on the dirt. Nominally I'm okay with that justification but I think there should be more leeway than there already is.

As an example, I was camping this summer at a lake and there were offroad trails accessible just a half mile down the road. We took the risk and just drove our ATV and UTV down the road to the turnoff fully expecting that should an officer spot us, we would have to be trying to talk our way out of a ticket. In that particular area though I have to think that most cops really wouldn't do much more than a verbal warning unless they were particularly cranky that day.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
Interesting question. Will it be road legal in Ohio? Here any atv has to be plated and insured on when operated on crown (public) land but is still not road legal.

Yes it's legal in Ohio. I had to have a windshield, head lights, tail lights, turn signals, four way hazards, horn, seat belts, Rear view and side mirrors, DOT approved tires, and of course working brakes, steering, etc....
Took it to the Highway Patrol station for inspection. Took the approved inspection form, application for title, proof of purchase/bill of sale to the local BMV and now its titled and resisted as a two door sedan hard top. I have regular car plates front and rear. Full coverage through State Farm for a little shy of $800.00 a year.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently bought a 2017 Polaris RZR which I registered here in Arizona. I am legal on or off road in Arizona {I have both strickers on my plate} but... when I leave Arizona all bets are off. It varies not only by state but often by county as well.

I was up in Pagosa Springs CO last week and spoke with a guy who runs a rental outfit there and in Creede. They are not street legal {regardless of documentation} in Pagosa Springs due largely to the huge volume of traffic they have but up in Creede, if properly registered they are street legal.

California does not allow them on the street in any county. New Mexico is fine if you are street legal in your home state {like me} but individual counties there can impose local restrictions.

As to the earlier comment that they are not allowed in National Parks I know that is not true across the board. You will find them alll over Utah's NP's but in Utah you must have turn signals... go figure.

Bottom line every jurisdiction can have its own, often nonsensical rules so you must check before you go/drive there. A violation in many areas will net you a ticket but in some {California} they might just as likely impound your buggy with substancial fees to retrieve it.

I am lucky in that I can ride right out of my driveway to two of the best off road Venues in the state; Charlouleau Gap and Rail X Ranch are each about one mile from my house. For traveling I tow the RZR in a 10' {14' overall} cargo trailer behind our 24' Class C or my Honda Ridgeline. Traveling with my own private garage is awesome and a big improvement from the previous 2 open trailers both for my RZR and my motorcycle {Indian Springfield}.

:C

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I don't have a link to a statute, but my neighbor was admonished by a state park ranger in California for trying to use his street legal golf cart on the park roads. His statement was that it is street legal is golf communities, not out in the general population.

I have no idea if this is true or not. But my guess is many states are going to have laws that prohibit using your side by side on the street.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
ATV's are not permitted on public highways in Vermont.

https://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/fullchapter/23/031
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe that they can be driven in Nat Parks.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting question. Will it be road legal in Ohio? Here any atv has to be plated and insured on when operated on crown (public) land but is still not road legal.