cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still Having Problems With TC and Truck

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I got brand new Torklift forward frame mounts because the old ones were torn apart.

They failed due to the “towers” failing that hold the bed and hold the top of the Torklift frame mounts.

I installed blocks on the frame where the towers normally go and the bed is now at the right height and the Torklift front frame mounts are bolted to these non-moving parts and everything is good up there.

BUT....

The right rear beam that holds the bed up from the air bag air spring is now crushed. So the right side of the bed is like 3”-4” lower than the left side which isn’t crushed.

Also, the side wall of the bed has a rip in it just behind the rear window of the truck on the same side everything keeps going wrong on. It’s ripped where the box of the truck bed makes a 90 deg angle between the forward wall of the bed box and the passenger side wall of the bed box. The rip is about 4” long and has a vertical orientation.

The entire passenger side fender/side of bed box is loose too. It can be rocked by hand a bit.

The TC keeps on sliding over to that side and is uneven. Sits far more to the passenger side and also leans to that side because of the 3”-4” sag.

What’s next to fix so it can keep going?? What would you do to correct all this?

Everything I fixed up front where the front frame mounts are is working well. The bed is kind of falling apart now.
24 REPLIES 24

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
That would depend on where you are and what year/brand you have. On ebay, I saw some as low as $450. I would buy a takeoff since there are plenty of them from people changing to flatbeds.

Currently in Colorado traveling cross country.

I can’t do this myself since I’m traveling and have nowhere to do it.

It’s a 2002 Ram. Maybe I just do it when I get back in the fall?

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
greenno wrote:
What year and kind of truck do you have? I didn't know forklift had any mount that would bolt to the bed as it isn't structural. Only ones I have seen bolted directly to the frame members.

My Torklift mounts on my 97 bolt both to the frame and the bed, but they bolt to the bed via the frame mount so there is substantial steel involved there.
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

greenno
Explorer
Explorer
What year and kind of truck do you have? I didn't know forklift had any mount that would bolt to the bed as it isn't structural. Only ones I have seen bolted directly to the frame members.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds like you need a new bed or a new truck.
Makes sense why your mounts are failing, if the truck bed is all bent up and the camper slides to one side.
Your problem is not normal, but the answer is obvious. No one knows what your truck has gone through but you probably do and sounds like you just used up your truck. Or at very least the truck bed.
Is it rusted out or just a really hard life?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
Seems like it’s going to keep failing. I’d replace the bed.

Not what I wanted to hear, but I had a sneaking suspicion this is what should be done.

Anyone ever done this before?

How much did it cost?

Don't they bolt through the frame mount from the bottom, through the frame and into the bed?
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
That would depend on where you are and what year/brand you have. On ebay, I saw some as low as $450. I would buy a takeoff since there are plenty of them from people changing to flatbeds.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:

Not what I wanted to hear, but I had a sneaking suspicion this is what should be done.

Anyone ever done this before?

How much did it cost?

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
I thought Torklift frame mounts attached to the frame and not the bed . Do you have a picture of yours ?

They attach to both.

The highest point on the tie down bolts right through the bed.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I thought Torklift frame mounts attached to the frame and not the bed . Do you have a picture of yours ?
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member