cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

steens mt oregon

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone visited Steens Mt in Oregon southeast corner? How about Fish Lake in Steens mt? Camping there?
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.
16 REPLIES 16

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Might want to include Hart Mountain in the tour.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

INSAYN
Explorer
Explorer
My son and I visited the Steens and camped at Fish Lake back in 2011. We had a blast catching a bunch of trout from our tandem kayak. Fish were fat and bellies full of insects. We trolled insect flies that resembled what we found in their bellies. The lake is small, but plenty big when you are paddling it.

If you make it up there, be sure to try and get a spot down near the water on the west side of the lake.

The road up is gravel washboard and will beat the hell out of a heavy truck. Be sure your camper is secure, and all your windows/hatches are shut tight if you go in the dry season.

Skeeters were not to bad in late August when we went there. In fact I don't remember really seeing any.

The thunder storms can be intense if you are not familiar with a desert thunder/lightning storms. They can rattle your teeth, but well worth it.

The real beauty of the area is how far you are from any big town USA. Stars are awesome, weather is unique, fishing is great, views are spectacular, people you meet out that way are amazing.

Just be prepared, have good tires, brakes, take plenty of fuel, water, food, clothes, most importantly....photo capacity.
1997 F350 CrewCab PSD 4x4, auto.
2005 SnowRiver 8'10", Loaded + EU2000i.
2005 8.5'x16' Interstate West Cargo trailer, Line-X'ed
2005 16' Fish-Rite Rogue welded aluminum boat, 2005 40HP Yamaha 2-stroke O/B.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I visited the Steens in late June of this year. Stayed at Page Springs campground at the base of the mountains and Jackman campground at 7600 ft. Drove all the way to the top at 9500 ft in my truck camper with no problem. Check out my blog (link below) for June 27/28 for several pictures of the area.

It's worth the trip. Have fun!
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

hugemoth
Explorer
Explorer
No way of predicting when the snow will melt off enough to drive the whole loop. It can stay until July. Best to call the BLM office in Hines Oregon to get an update. Fish lake is small but a pontoon boat should be fine. I'm not a fisherman but I've seen some nice trout pulled out of the lake.

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
When does the snow melt away in the Steens Mt. How the fishing at Fish Lake? Seems like a really small Lake. Would using a Pontoon Boat be OK>

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
2x Alvord Desert area on the east side of Steens Mt. County Road 201 from the Hwy 205 junction, just north of Fields, up to State Hwy 78, is paved at both ends with about 50 miles of well maintained gravel road in the middle.

About 23 miles from Hwy 78 is a BLM CG at Mann Lake (N42ยฐ 46.491', W118ยฐ 27.074'). Seen here when I was there in Feb 2011.

Weather almost always like this, but it can change. See the time lapse video I took from inside the TC, sitting on a minipod on the table, looking out the window at Steens Mountain over Memorial Day that year. Lots of rain and gusty winds shaking the camper

Lots of place to explore if you don't mind gravel roads. A good map can be had from the Burns District BLM Office or online as the Steens High Dessert Country region map. The Burns district office (3 miles west of Hines, OR) is also a good place to ask about current road conditions. Say you wanted to take county road 412 (Rock Creek Road) to Lakeview through the National Antelope Refuge. About 90 miles of gravel road before you come out onto Hwy 140, if you wanted to make a different route back west.:)

Several National, BLM and Oregon State scenic byways can be explored getting to Steens Mountain from Seattle.

Services are few and far between in this area, or closed. Carry water and keep the top 1/2 of your fuel tanks full. Enjoy the trip.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

hugemoth
Explorer
Explorer
Lots to see and do in the area, I've been there many times. Steens Mtn has about the best star gazing of anywhere in the lower 48 due to clear air, altitude, and distance from city lights. There is a small pond across the road from Fish Lake where you can camp for free. Like others have said, be sure to have a look at Kiger Gorge and walk up to Steens Summit. If you have time I highly recommend going over to the Alvord Playa which you will see from the Steens Summit. Borax lake and hot springs are also very interesting. I'll be over there with Tuna Fisher in late May with my trail bike and flying machine.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to the Alvord for 2 weeks around late May with are group of Honda Trail riders 20-30 of us. It's are anaual spring get together. Lots of guys bring there power parachutes to fly early when no wind. Looking forward to it as I do every Spring. Will be following this thread, keep them coming.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
JCasper wrote:
clikrf8 wrote:
Page Springs, the BLM campground near Frenchglen, is a nice campground very close to the Steens Mt. Loop Road. It has water pumps, vault toilets and recycling/garbage. It usually has a host. Campground gets full in the fall with hunters but if you arrive early, it shouldn't be a problem. It has a pretty little stream that runs through it and the sites are spacious.
yes, great campground other then the Mosquitos. I was there in June and they ate me alive

Mid April and late September were fine-no skeeters. Road was partially open in mid September as there was a slide. I am not sure if it opened up the entire loop before the snows came. You could drive I think to most of the gorge overlooks from the campground; you just couldn't complete the loop bringing you to 205. We had a camper malfunction so had to scoot.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

JCasper
Explorer
Explorer
clikrf8 wrote:
Page Springs, the BLM campground near Frenchglen, is a nice campground very close to the Steens Mt. Loop Road. It has water pumps, vault toilets and recycling/garbage. It usually has a host. Campground gets full in the fall with hunters but if you arrive early, it shouldn't be a problem. It has a pretty little stream that runs through it and the sites are spacious.
yes, great campground other then the Mosquitos. I was there in June and they ate me alive

insp1505
Explorer
Explorer
Gravel with plenty of washboards last time I went up it.

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of road is it to Fish Lake? Paved or gravel?

Y-Guy
Stayed at the Alvord desert a few years back on the eastern side. Just watch for the wind storms, they can come out of no where and whip things up fast.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog