cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starcraft Star Stream 2007 Leaking Skylight

otterslide
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to buy a 2007-2008 StarStream but it seems they have problems with the skylights.
One I found has been leaking and there is even water in the shower tub. The owner took the trim off and one of the layers of the skylight and it looks like the white insulation has some black mold on it.

I'm wondering if someone has experience with this, and how far the extent of the damage could be ?

I'm afraid mold may have gotten in between the panels and traveled much further than can be seen.

Any help is appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
A lot depends on where the water has gone. I had a skylight leak in our camper, but the water just stayed around the cutout and down to the trim ring, then to the shower. I fixed the leak and no problems since.
If the mold is just on the surface, nothing is delaminated, and the ceiling panel around the skylight is not discolored, it may not be a big deal.
Are you sure it’s mold and not glue residue? On mine, they used a dark colored glue to bond the luaun to the foam.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You continue to consider buying an RV where you suspect black mold? Amazing.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Run. Run fast.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

otterslide
Explorer
Explorer
Beverley&Ken wrote:
I would definitely pass on that one. If you can see some mould, that maybe all,it may just be the tip. The finished ceiling material is usually laminated to thin Luan (plywood) and that is against the white block foam insulation. The water moisture could have gravitated several feet away from what you can see. I'm not saying that it has, but check the ceiling for soft spots or discolouration. That could lead a big repair. Run

Ken

Thanks. I'm new to trailer construction so I didn't know what to look for. Thin wood on top of cheap foam will not resist mold well at all.. and it looks like quite a lot of water came down through there because it had just rained and there was water in the tub, so I doubt it's just condensation like the owner said it is.

I can't find many StarStreams though, that was the only one here just east of GTA, and there is just one more past London that I haven't seen yet.

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, hard pass on this trailer. Ken is right, the damage you see may only be the start of it. This is one can of worms best left for someone else to open.
Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab Express 4X4 5.7 Hemi 3.92
2021 Coachmen Spirit Ultra Lite 2557RB

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely pass on that one. If you can see some mould, that maybe all,it may just be the tip. The finished ceiling material is usually laminated to thin Luan (plywood) and that is against the white block foam insulation. The water moisture could have gravitated several feet away from what you can see. I'm not saying that it has, but check the ceiling for soft spots or discolouration. That could lead a big repair. Run

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.